Coaching in the stand

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehb102

I've had enough of this. 

Random man starts "coaching" me on my first ever registered.

Referee starts "coaching" me when I went to shoot his stand at my County championship. Then he started on the B class lady who was next! Possibly because one of our squad (all ladies) had confided it was her first registered. 

Actual coach (shooting on a different squad) starts telling a lady shooter what to do in the next year's County championship. Luckily she had already established a big enough lead that it wouldn't have made a difference to her eventual winning. He actually got in the stand to better see what she was doing!

Take a couple of new caps to the Inter-Counties. They do their utmost, we know we aren't going to win, we are getting experience and learning to win :) Random man suddenly starts telling her "you're behind it, give it more."

What is it with these people? It's like a maths test when someone goes "Hey, the answer to number five is 263." Isn't coaching in the stand cheating? I wouldn't mind if it was a proper coach, but it never is, just some random with an opinion. 

I've had enough of this. 

Random man starts "coaching" me on my first ever registered.

Referee starts "coaching" me when I went to shoot his stand at my County championship. Then he started on the B class lady who was next! Possibly because one of our squad (all ladies) had confided it was her first registered. 

Actual coach (shooting on a different squad) starts telling a lady shooter what to do in the next year's County championship. Luckily she had already established a big enough lead that it wouldn't have made a difference to her eventual winning. He actually got in the stand to better see what she was doing!

Take a couple of new caps to the Inter-Counties. They do their utmost, we know we aren't going to win, we are getting experience and learning to win :) Random man suddenly starts telling her "you're behind it, give it more."

What is it with these people? It's like a maths test when someone goes "Hey, the answer to number five is 263." Isn't coaching in the stand cheating? I wouldn't mind if it was a proper coach, but it never is, just some random with an opinion. 
It can be massively frustrating but generally i can switch off to all around me when in the cage,though at a major recently i ended up with the ref and all the squad telling me whatever which totally ruined my thought process!

Many people may genuinely if somewhat mistakenly think that they are doing something positive.

For every one of them there are 100s of  "your behind it idiots" very few people can actually ever see the shot cloud,gun movement,target,etc and put it all together so in reality they have no idea, this doesn't help you learn how to hit the target which is what coaching does.

Coaching at registered shoots from the rule book

1.7 COACHING Once a registered event has commenced, no coaching or tuition will be permitted while the competitor is actually at the shooting stand and in the process of completing a round.

I have never once in all the time i have been shooting heard anybody warned or of anybody being excluded for this,like many rules they need to be enforced to mean anything!

Also how do you apportion blame if the advice is unwanted/from someone you are not with?

I don't shoot registered, but this kind of thing boils my piss too  :yell:  

If I'm genuinely befuddled (a state I frequent on a regular basis) I may turn and ask, otherwise please STFU. 

I would have thought in a competition you could call distraction as surely someone shouting at you whilst you're in the stand could be classed highly distracting?  

At the English Open last year I warned a Father , (competitor ) not to coach his Son , he told me to F off .

I then explained that was highly offensive and I took exception to it . Reported it , but it was decded it was best to let it lie .

Have since had a word with Nick Fellows and he has said if there is any evidence of abuse to referees and anyone wishes to complain , the offender will be dealt with .

But you must be prepared to make a complaint , have witnesses and be sure of the facts , only then can the CPSA act correctly . The same goes for cheating and altering score cards , no complaint , no witnesses , no case to answer . Simple.

At the English Open last year I warned a Father , (competitor ) not to coach his Son , he told me to F off .

I then explained that was highly offensive and I took exception to it . Reported it , but it was decded it was best to let it lie .

Have since had a word with Nick Fellows and he has said if there is any evidence of abuse to referees and anyone wishes to complain , the offender will be dealt with .

But you must be prepared to make a complaint , have witnesses and be sure of the facts , only then can the CPSA act correctly . The same goes for cheating and altering score cards , no complaint , no witnesses , no case to answer . Simple.
It doesn't bother me personally in the slightest because nine times out of ten it's perfectly well meaning people genuinely trying to help a friend or youngster as opposed to actively wanting to cheat and effect a win in class. In reality the chances of someone actually adding kills to someone else's card whilst in the stand is fairly remote BUT in registered competition and most certainly something as grand as the English then people must refrain from obvious coaching, I am glad Nick Fellows sees abuse as a serious misdemeanour. 

Dealt with? Stern letter perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never once in all the time i have been shooting heard anybody warned or of anybody being excluded for this,like many rules they need to be enforced to mean anything!
Well when I'm reffing I simply won't have it and I've had words with people on several occasions. They always know it's against the rules and never give me grief. I need maximum diplomacy if it's someone I know well though.

I do make an exception for one shooter who's always in the same small group and always tells his mates what they're doing wrong. They ignore him totally because, as regularly as day follows night, he'll miss just as many as they do. I don't mind because none of them is exactly a contender for any prizes. I also overlook it when someone brings out a novice, although I can never work out why anyone thinks it a good wheeze to bring a novice to a registered sporting shoot.

IMO Refs who give unsolicited advice and tips (and there are a few around) are a pest and the shoot management will step in if you tell them.

mmm tricky one   I suppose people giving advice mean well !   but is it coaching / cheating  , I think its acceptable if the person shooting wants the advice  if not STFU   all I ever hear is double the lead  , it never works !

Back