English open

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetman

Good luck to all those shooting the open at Dartford knowing them the targets will be spot on

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck to everyone this weekend, looks like great weather!

Hamster, if your only comments on Skeet are to insult those who put a lot of time and effort in to achieve their goals at whatever level then please don't.

its a skeet forum, designed to encourage more people to enjoy shooting skeet.

your negative comments are not useful or funny.

if you feel that skeet does not provide sufficient challenge for your image,ego or self promoted ability, who not pop down to Dartford shoot a ton, win the shoot off and enjoy getting your picture in pull? Who knows maybe for the first time ever!!!

of course you won't because skeet is easy! Blah.. Blah.... Shot a 25 straight once... Got a badge... Could easily string 4 rounds together..... Could just turn up and clean up.... Blah.....

why not put up or shut up! Win the English or British open this year.. And ill take my hat off to you as I appreciate what an achievement It really is....

My Mom used to say that if you had nothing nice to say about a subject... Then keep quiet.......

Good luck to everyone this weekend, looks like great weather!

Hamster, if your only comments on Skeet are to insult those who put a lot of time and effort in to achieve their goals at whatever level then please don't.

its a skeet forum, designed to encourage more people to enjoy shooting skeet.

your negative comments are not useful or funny.

if you feel that skeet does not provide sufficient challenge for your image,ego or self promoted ability, who not pop down to Dartford shoot a ton, win the shoot off and enjoy getting your picture in pull? Who knows maybe for the first time ever!!!

of course you won't because skeet is easy! Blah.. Blah.... Shot a 25 straight once... Got a badge... Could easily string 4 rounds together..... Could just turn up and clean up.... Blah.....

why not put up or shut up! Win the English or British open this year.. And ill take my hat off to you as I appreciate what an achievement It really is....

My Mom used to say that if you had nothing nice to say about a subject... Then keep quiet.......
Steady on tiger, so what it's a Skeet forum people are still allowed to have a bit of fun, it goes on with Sporting and Fitasc as well as all other forms of shooting disciplines and people rarely get defensive about it, never, springs to mind with ESP and you have to wonder why. 

I shot a few straight 25's years and years ago and just found I didn't like it enough, don't have a go at me alone because patently that is the view of the vast majority of shooters who don't shoot Skeet as a rule because lets face it most find the targets in themselves unchallenging, that's not to say winning is easy because it never is and whoever wins or indeed places top 10 is worthy of praise. 

The lighthearted exchange was between Chippy and myself and it was more about his love for open chokes anyway not to put Skeet down. You are quite right though, Skeet does not present me personally with enough of a challenge, I never was interested in hitting 100 hittable targets but 95 more testing ones. I also dislike being in close proximity of shrapnel when taking certain pairs or indeed singles (just a personal thing as I keep turning my head away instinctively).

I hear they have had to phone around to get enough people to enter the less well attended County Championships, if so then maybe instead of having a go at people for having a mild bit of natter with another shooter you ought to see if something can be done to raise their profile a bit more. 

Moms used to say all sorts of things to be fair, mine did rest her soul but things change, it's the age of the internet and we just have to pucker up and put up with others opinion whether we like it or not. If you wish the Skeet forum to be specifically barred from having anything less than 100% praiseworthy said then have a word with Matt, I promise to abide if he says so as it's his forum. 

ps. If you're reading this Matt, please let the ESP/Fitasc forums be as they are, hedge monkeys like a bit of a scuffle.

I shot one reg skeet in 2006. My main reason for never doing it again was that it was the most humourless experience ever. Just the nature of it I suppose. And yes its plain dull too. Just my opinion. 

I shot one reg skeet in 2006. My main reason for never doing it again was that it was the most humourless experience ever. Just the nature of it I suppose. And yes its plain dull too. Just my opinion. 
I actually don't mind the odd bit of it and you can't argue it's been the foundation of many a great name in the sport but part of the problem is indeed the lack of humour methinks, those who love the discipline ought to try a few new ideas to get more people interested, it used to be much better attended in the past. I am not talking about altering the targets or format but one way might be to simply start having more reg comps and advertise them properly and drop the entry fees to below the ESP ones, perhaps even have them on a Saturday afternoon or something. It deserves a better fate than the one it's heading towards. 

It would be an idea to incorporate a DTL bird or two in it, as a lot of grounds have a Trap layout on a skeet range. I always have and will maintain that if you can shoot skeet competently you will be able to get to grips with sporting easier. Just my two penneth  :D

It would be an idea to incorporate a DTL bird or two in it, as a lot of grounds have a Trap layout on a skeet range. I always have and will maintain that if you can shoot skeet competently you will be able to get to grips with sporting easier. Just my two penneth  :D
As in what I call Skeet sport, I like that especially on a windy day when they go everywhere.  I also use Skeet for practise and would more likely enter a comp on a Saturday but I wouldn't give up my Sunday for it.

Well that was a waste of £50 just about to leave home this morning and got a call out at work.

Iam sure I would have won it if I shot.

As in what I call Skeet sport, I like that especially on a windy day when they go everywhere.  I also use Skeet for practise and would more likely enter a comp on a Saturday but I wouldn't give up my Sunday for it.
They have a thing they call Skeet Sport at Acorn shooting ground.skeet layout plus 2 sporting traps.

A mixture of all targets and great fun 28 targets in total 2 pairs from each position.

They have a thing they call Skeet Sport at Acorn shooting ground.skeet layout plus 2 sporting traps.

A mixture of all targets and great fun 28 targets in total 2 pairs from each position.
At AC Sporting we use the skeet and the dtl for skeet sport - High Tower dtl, Lower tower dtl and then pair of skeet all the way around and then at the end go to the middle and do High tower skeet and dtl, Lower tower skeet and dtl from one side of the dtl box and then the other side - 50 targets.  More exciting in the wind of course.

It was always a case of i would wade into this debate with my username and i have deliberately left it a few days and in fact if the thread had not been revived i would have probably not bothered.

"Guest" is a friend and a dedicated skeet shooter who is passionate about the discipline as well as being extremely talented with a shotgun. I believe the only person to have represented England at ESK having got in the team shooting off both shoulders having had to change mid shooting career. Also having won a major championship.

It is when you know this you understand his annoyance. I will say it might be meant in jest but us skeet shooters nearly ALWAYS have to defend our chosen discipline as it is so often knocked as the "beginners discipline / for shooters who cannot shoot sporting" etc and it gets tiresome TBH. I am sure shooters of other "fixed" disciplines feel the same.

I am sure longer term posters on here will know i used to shoot sporting in the late 90's / early 00's with me topping out at 95/100 as a PB at the Southern Counties British Open. It was then suggested i try skeet to improve my mental game / routines etc. I fell in love with skeet and it has taken me all over the world breaking those little discs.

I will add to this over this winter my wife stopped shooting OTR and we have been shooting some sporting together over the first part of this year. It started out as great fun spending time together and shooting something different, but that has now worn very thin to the point i chose to walk the dogs around Weston last weekend and leave the gun at home while she shot. I have also pulled off the ICTSF worlds and the British Open as totally demoralised by the discipline. I have just stopped enjoying sporting and had enough of missing and do not have the dedication to make the changes / time commitment to get back to where i was especially if it means giving up being able to shoot skeet well.

There is a HUGE fundamental difference between the two main disciplines i have shot...

1). Skeet - a decent ground will do their 100% upmost to ensure the "fixed" targets are as perfect as possible for every shooter so that people hit high numbers / them all. 

2). Sporting - a decent ground will do their 100% upmost to ensure the targets are designed to set to trip you up using every trick in the book.

For me shooting is a hobby and i go to break targets and i thrive off doing so. Walking round and missing just simply ruins my day and is no fun and i do wish those who feel the same struggling along not having as much fun as they should be would give skeet a chance rather than give up and leave the hobby. It's a fabulous discipline which deserves more credit than it gets. I have always enjoyed it and the people in it (most of the time) aswell. I like the community feel which i appreciate some may see as clicky but trust me once you get stuck in you will be welcomed with open arms. Skeet shooters love people dedicated to the discipline.

I appreciate that hitting them all can lead to people seeing it as easy or boring but that is the idea - quest for perfection.  

Those looking to "up the ante" can of course make the change across to NSSA skeet as the added dimension of gauges (20, 28 and 410) adds a whole new element and brings in trying to beat the giants of the skeet gun up game in the USA which very few can / have done.  Plus of course the Doubles game is a another way to take it. That said we do not shoot enough skeet doubles here. 

I get why dedicated sporting shooters would want to put a twist on skeet with "sport skeet" or "dtl skeet" or "high skeet" and the other variations you see about as they are programmed to want to be "tripped up".

Sorry about the ramble but i hope i have put across a balanced view and done my bit to promote skeet in a positive light and maybe encourage some new shooters to give the discipline a long term go. I know i have never regretted doing so.

Back