Southdown Grand Masters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmokinn

Southdown Grand Masters so for  such a highly publicised and vaunted shoot you would expect a lot and would be rightly peed off if you felt that they hadn't made enough effort.

Started 10.30 on the Valley first 4 stand ok then it started no birds on every stand in quantity at least 4 or 5 on every stand between the squad of 6 so virtually every stand you were getting at least one.

On a couple of stands we had 20 odd between the squad which is ridiculous on one stand the trapper was stopping you every 2 pairs to clear 2 targets from the trap as he knew they would be broken and then you carried on.

To add to this 5 of the stands had button problems 3 of which when we walked into the stand told us they had been  having problems all morning before we started so we had the scenario where you really don't know if the target is coming or not and targets being released after you had lowered the gun...i have never heard PAIR AGAIN so many times!

You can see looking at the scores that many people were posting 10-15 targets less than you would expect them to be scoring.

Realistically the targets were well set and nice to shoot when you actually got a pair,nothing that hard but you're score ruined by the lack of rhythm and constant no targets.

The first half was pretty much ruined by this which is a great shame as it could have been one of the highlights of the year.

The second,The lane where registered shoots are usually held was the opposite a couple of no birds on the round what the first half should have been.

The only thing on the second round was the rabbit on stand 4 i think which was pretty quick but 50% of the targets where coming out as a looper about 8ft up in the air which was actually a nicer target ;)

So very much a game of 2 halves first half very poor and frustrating,you have paid good money for your shoot and should get a fair experience not have your day ruined by poor setting up.

The second half as it should be very few problems and running smoothly...

Again lack of preperation causes piss poor performance!

Our squad started in the lane at 9.45 and don't think we had any no birds, problems that I can remember.  Really good targets, I absolutely mucked up the driven stand (1) and I think stand 12, I couldn't see over the board and the target from right just appeared and I couldn't get on it quick enough then messed up second target because I got annoyed with myself.  But fairly pleased with this layout as I hit some really good targets.  Valley in afternoon, well I started off fine, 6/6 on 1, 5/8 stand 2, 6/8 stand 3 (which we did have a lot of no-birds on first target)  but came to stand 4, the 2 simo pairs from left and completely miss read them, 1/8, absolutely gutted!!  Next 2 stands 6/8 on both but then the wheels came off, I had some really good stands and some crappy ones.  Got annoyed with stand 12 which was in the grouse butt, first target from right was low and as I'm only 4'11" it appeared to me to be about an inch off the ground.  I stood in different places in the stand but just couldn't get comfy, I felt as if I was shooting into the ground as I couldn't see over the ground.  Disaster on last driven/going away stand, only hit last 2.  

Overall, I thought the targets were great, there was no stand where I thought "these are in the bag", generally happy with score, I haven't been shooting great lately and confidence a bit low, but I hit some hard targets really well. 

Could have done with a bit more time in between layouts but took some homemade fruit cake with me in case, so we could eat it going round. Gave some to the refs (no, I didn't get any extra targets) and didn't bring any home.  

My only criticism, and this is not only of Southdown, but every ground I go to, please remember some of us are short, there were a few youngsters there yesterday who were tiny.  I get fed up not being able to see the targets because a bush is in front of me and I cannot see over it, or the bar in front of cage is so high I struggle to get my gun over it, then I'm uncomfortable as my arms are so high.  I do not mind having lost a target because I didn't read it correctly and missed it, but I get really pixxed off when I get targets docked because I cannot physically see them.

Whinge over!!  Really enjoyed the day, had a great squad, friends in front of us and a lovely squad behind us, friendly refs too, and we only got about 15 mins of rain at the end.

My only criticism, and this is not only of Southdown, but every ground I go to, please remember some of us are short, there were a few youngsters there yesterday who were tiny.  I get fed up not being able to see the targets because a bush is in front of me and I cannot see over it, or the bar in front of cage is so high I struggle to get my gun over it, then I'm uncomfortable as my arms are so high.  I do not mind having lost a target because I didn't read it correctly and missed it, but I get really pixxed off when I get targets docked because I cannot physically see them.
I feel your pain, even though I'm a few inches taller than you.  So many ground put the bar across the front of stands too high.

Sounds like they sorted the valley by the afternoon but it was the worst no bird/failed bird shoot i have been to in 15 years.

How are you supposed to shoot a stand when you know that half the time the target isn't coming?

I was there last Thursday for a practice and several stands were closed and others had repeated no birds. One of the staff said they were having so many problems that they has run out of "stand closed" signs.

I shouldn't have bothered shooting - strapped up knee which just got progressivley worse around the valley and to add insult to injury on the driven stand in the valley, half a clay hurtled towards Tony and I on edge like a frigging Chinese star and missed him and smacked me straight in the chest.  Appalling score.   Enjoyed my squad and the squad behind, dog was the life saver for a cuddle to cheer me up and the very excellent brownie at the end.  I'm also doubting everything at the moment.

Latest posts

Back