Pilla Puma - any experience?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickMSM

I am looking to upgrade my old Wiley X glasses for something from Pilla. I don't have a massive budget so the Puma model caught the 'eyes' on eBay! Obviously I can't try a pair out so I was wondering if anyone has experience of these? They come with a few lenses for c£250.

I am looking to upgrade my old Wiley X glasses for something from Pilla. I don't have a massive budget so the Puma model caught the 'eyes' on eBay! Obviously I can't try a pair out so I was wondering if anyone has experience of these? They come with a few lenses for c£250.
When it comes to shooting glasses I really really think you need to wear them and mount a gun at the same time, personally would never buy on recommendation because fit around ones head is so personal plus one mans view through whatever lens colour is different to another. 

And everybody`s eyes are different, its what is best for you

Agree with all the above! The Pumas were a nice design, but they're now discontinued so there wont be any warranty or spare parts available.

They ARE compatible with the Outlaw X6 series though which is a newer model

When I bought my Pillas, I found the wire hooks on the arms of the Pumas' too uncomfortable, especially when using the over ear hearing defence. I managed to work a deal using the Panther frames which I found OK,  and the Puma lenses. I have since added lenses and the system still works very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the clarity of the optics but find them heavy and not confortable if worn for extended time. But as above you would have to try for yourself to be sure.

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the arms with over ear defenders. I do find my current glasses painful for extended periods of time so I guess this counts the Pumas out. There's a dealer locally so I'll go and try different models on - going to look at the 560 and X6/7.

Have a look at re engineering,i love mine,fraction of the price of pilla,lifetime warranty on frames and i found the lenses suited my eyes a lot better than pilla.?spare lenses only £80ish.

Decided to blow the budget and get a three lens X6 kit. Spent some time trying different lenses etc so I am happy with my purchase. Looking forward to using them later in the week!

Could somebody help and tell me the difference between. Pilla puma, Outlaw X6, X7 and was there an original set just called an Outlaw.

The X6 and X7 seem to cost the same at around £500 from one retailer. Those just called Outlaw are about half that price from a differrnt retailer.  For all I know though is that they are the same but being sold at a better price.

Too confusing.. RE glasses look a good deal.  

no idea but I have four lens pilla no pos for sale if anyone is interested, absolutely totally as new and unmarked . £250 incl p&p mainland UK

WP_20170513_16_41_04_Pro.jpgWP_20170513_16_41_41_Pro.jpgWP_20170513_16_42_19_Pro.jpg

Could somebody help and tell me the difference between. Pilla puma, Outlaw X6, X7 and was there an original set just called an Outlaw.

The X6 and X7 seem to cost the same at around £500 from one retailer. Those just called Outlaw are about half that price from a differrnt retailer.  For all I know though is that they are the same but being sold at a better price.

Too confusing.. RE glasses look a good deal.  
Outlaw X6 - Wide Wrap for blokes with larger heads (me)

Outlaw X7 - Narrow Wrap ladies and gents with smaller heads, or if you prefer a really close fit.

The Outlaw A series are for Archery and have no nose grip. The Outlaw Arm has a split to grip your head behind the ear and up higher on the side of your skull. Panther series has a different frame design with a solid post across the forehead and joining the arms to which the lens is attached, whereas the outlaw uses the lens to bear the load and the arms hang off the lens.

Never tried a Panther but I guess the weight difference is minimal however from a practical perspective I know that the v large lens on the outlaw means I have to tilt my had back when wearing or it puts pressure on the bridge of the nose. Looks like the Panther has a smaller lens and is probably less intrusive. Hope that helps.

This is me wearing Outlaw X6 76HC lenses.

https://goo.gl/photos/2ZpeSmBCGYm3uknC8

Lenses are numbered based on % light transference hence those lenses allow 76% of available light in. Lower Number, Darker Lens.

Outlaw X6 - Wide Wrap for blokes with larger heads (me)

Outlaw X7 - Narrow Wrap ladies and gents with smaller heads, or if you prefer a really close fit.

The Outlaw A series are for Archery and have no nose grip. The Outlaw Arm has a split to grip your head behind the ear and up higher on the side of your skull. Panther series has a different frame design with a solid post across the forehead and joining the arms to which the lens is attached, whereas the outlaw uses the lens to bear the load and the arms hang off the lens.

Never tried a Panther but I guess the weight difference is minimal however from a practical perspective I know that the v large lens on the outlaw means I have to tilt my had back when wearing or it puts pressure on the bridge of the nose. Looks like the Panther has a smaller lens and is probably less intrusive. Hope that helps.

This is me wearing Outlaw X6 76HC lenses.

https://goo.gl/photos/2ZpeSmBCGYm3uknC8

Lenses are numbered based on % light transference hence those lenses allow 76% of available light in. Lower Number, Darker Lens.
Thanks Lloyd helpfull info. Think I'll need to try them then.

I'm after a set with the Max orange 65's and 99s. (Basically clear). 

I can get a new set off Te..bay for £235.00 with these lenses but not sure if they are an old design or how different they are from the x6/x7. Plus I don't know if the range of lens for them includes the purple which I may want at a later date if my old RE purple ones need replacing.  

Thanks Lloyd helpfull info. Think I'll need to try them then.

I'm after a set with the Max orange 65's and 99s. (Basically clear). 

I can get a new set off Te..bay for £235.00 with these lenses but not sure if they are an old design or how different they are from the x6/x7. Plus I don't know if the range of lens for them includes the purple which I may want at a later date if my old RE purple ones need replacing.  
I have never found the need to go above the 65's even on a dull/rainy day and in woodland  ?  It does help if you can try some of the lens colours looking at targets,  BEFORE you make your final choice. I rarely use more than 3 colours throughout the year. (Some use 3 colours on ONE stand !)

Got a brand new pair of Outlaw X6 arms and a hardly used/unmarked Max Orange 38 lense of you are interested £225 posted...the ones you are looking at on ebay are framed and the "economy version"

pics in shootbay.

Has anyone had the nose bridge piece changed on any Pilla lenses  ?   I have 2 lenses which have the small black horseshoe variety bridge, one of which, the plastic coating on one end has cracked. I would like to get them changed to the later and slightly larger bridge. (similar to the style that is fitted to the ips variety 'for sale' on here)

Has anyone had the nose bridge piece changed on any Pilla lenses  ?   I have 2 lenses which have the small black horseshoe variety bridge, one of which, the plastic coating on one end has cracked. I would like to get them changed to the later and slightly larger bridge. (similar to the style that is fitted to the ips variety 'for sale' on here)
I changed my original pre Pilla ones which had a U shaped bit of wire  :???: , a friend was throwing away a £5 pair of sunglasses and the removable nose bridge part slipped in a treat, they look similar to ips's ones he's selling so it's doable.

Back