Back pain from the cold

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balltrap

Yep i have done it again after going out on Boxing day shooting in the cold my back has locked up again when i  get cold my muscles tense and i suffer a few days later, but i could not resist shooting .............i wish i lived in warmer climbs.

Any piss taking as to age and i will get it back !!!

Yep i have done it again after going out on Boxing day shooting in the cold my back has locked up again when i  get cold my muscles tense and i suffer a few days later, but i could not resist shooting .............i wish i lived in warmer climbs.

Any piss taking as to age and i will get it back !!!
There are various base layers you can wear to keep your back warm. Also you can get heat inserts that you can wear whilst out. Best thing to do is to warm your back up with some exercises before shooting if you have a problem with it. Dynamic stretches of the back can help before and after shooting. Don't bother with static stretches as they don't really do much for warming up muscles.

There are various base layers you can wear to keep your back warm. Also you can get heat inserts that you can wear whilst out. Best thing to do is to warm your back up with some exercises before shooting if you have a problem with it. Dynamic stretches of the back can help before and after shooting. Don't bother with static stretches as they don't really do much for warming up muscles.

I had my thermals on and had a hot bath before i went out..................maybe hot bath then into the cold is not a good idea !

I did spend 6 months off with a slipped disk which does not help

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my thermals on and had a hot bath before i went out..................maybe hot bath then into the cold is not a good idea !
did you do any dynamic stretches prior to shooting? If you have a long standing back problem, always best to get the muscles working prior to doing any exercise especially on a cold day.

did you do any dynamic stretches prior to shooting? If you have a long standing back problem, always best to get the muscles working prior to doing any exercise especially on a cold day.

I was going to just shoot the ball trap which gets you swinging until some tosser asked me to shoot the sporting and stand in a big queue for a long time  :lol:

I was going to just shoot the ball trap which gets you swinging until some tosser asked me to shoot the sporting and stand in a big queue for a long time  :lol:
As you've had a problem with your back, you should build in a pre shoot warm up whether you are shootings ball trap or sporting.

look on YouTube for dynamic stretches for lumbar spine. Do them pre and post shoot. 

Get a heated under blanket,put it on the mattress and set the temp on low all night when asleep so your back muscles are kept warm all night ( works if you sleep on your back) may have to reduce covers on the bed due to the heated blanket.

It works for me,fell through a roof onto concrete floor with serious implications at the time but not long term health affects.

As you've had a problem with your back, you should build in a pre shoot warm up whether you are shootings ball trap or sporting.

look on YouTube for dynamic stretches for lumbar spine. Do them pre and post shoot. 

I will have a look Nick thanks anyway :smile:

It would appear that the aforementioned 'Tosser' seemed to think you had a problem with your back before you left home,...................................something about it being "stuck to the bed"  !!

ha, that tosser was me ?

oh and short legs he was to blame too.

anyway

I use a neoprene sports waist support thing when my sciatica is playing up. For remedial repair try a hot water bottle under your back whilst slobbing on sofa in evening, works a treat mate ?

It would appear that the aforementioned 'Tosser' seemed to think you had a problem with your back before you left home,...................................something about it being "stuck to the bed"  !!
correct, bone idle git.

I will have a look Nick thanks anyway :smile:
from now on we will refer to balltrap as "dynamic dave". ?

ha, that tosser was me ?

anyway

I use a neoprene sports waist support thing when my sciatica is playing up. For remedial repair try a hot water bottle under your back whilst slobbing on sofa in evening, works a treat mate ?

correct, bone idle git.

by doing the stretches, you are looking at preventing the problem and not just treating the symptoms (hot water bottle) once it's kicked off..... always better to try prevent the pain in the first place.

My Great Grandad had back problems, Doc reckoned it was his age :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a neoprene sports waist support thing when my sciatica is playing up. ?
I use a prolly similar elastic back support kinda thing from Home Depot but they are all over Amazon as well.  I also have the proper ortho brace from when I had the surgery but it takes up a LOT of space under other clothing.  Both so a nice job of insulating the back and I find them a solution.  I've also seen kidney belts w/ heaters in them but might get bulky and I suppose you could go up in flames.

I use a prolly similar elastic back support kinda thing from Home Depot but they are all over Amazon as well.  I also have the proper ortho brace from when I had the surgery but it takes up a LOT of space under other clothing.  Both so a nice job of insulating the back and I find them a solution.  I've also seen kidney belts w/ heaters in them but might get bulky and I suppose you could go up in flames.
I think he has been 'shot down' in them once or twice  !

ha, that tosser was me ?

anyway

correct, bone idle git.

just wondering how the neoprene waist support helps with sciatica?...

Latest posts

Back