Lump on the Jaw

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

Noticed since about June, that everytime i shoot, i end up with a lump on my lower jaw,

Almost like I've been punched in the same spot.  ( it hurts too,  although i don't notice a thing when I'm shooting)

it goes down after a couple of days, but will return after my next session of clay's.

I'm not lifting of the stock, so that's that one out of the equation.

I do have a slightly offset stock / comb riser, and i can only thing its the step between this and the stock itself.

The only other thing i can think off is I've lost some excess poundage, could this be partly related.

I haven't seen any change as such to my shooting,  (still miss the same)  so i'm a bit baffled

Any ideas?

:santa:  

Do I understand correctly that you have an adjustable comb or just a stick on pad, the former should easily facilitate experimentation to arrive at the optimum level, the latter too could/should easily enough be moved to the correct position !?

Cheek trouble is often due to too low a comb but pitch has a very big part to play as well, other things too can help or hinder, it takes a great deal of experience to punch your way out of this on your own and when it comes to physical discomfort I wouldn't hesitate but seek proper one to one advise from someone like E. Solomons.

Unexplained lumps anywhere without a bruise are a bloody good reason to visit a quack. Not a good idea to get opinions on the internet!

Get yerself off to a doctor next time it happens. The worst he can say is 'piss off there's nothing wrong.' 

If the comb is in the correct position, just below your cheek bone, and the lump is on your lower jaw, it sounds like it may be the base of the raised adjustable comb. I did suffer this many years ago with an adjustable comb gun, I used a piece of close cell foam to 'bridge the gap' and that partly cured the problem. I totally cured the problem by getting rid of the gun, for one without the adjustable comb !

Update,  

It is the comb, and me loosing weight. ;)

I marked the position of the comb last night, and reset the cast to give me a flat wall to rest my upper & lower jaw against.

I shot a 50 bird today,  with no pain at all, a slight tenderness if i push hard, but no swelling or  bruising as per last time.

Lesson to self  loosing weight affects your shooting !!

Update,  

It is the comb, and me loosing weight. ;)

I marked the position of the comb last night, and reset the cast to give me a flat wall to rest my upper & lower jaw against.

I shot a 50 bird today,  with no pain at all, a slight tenderness if i push hard, but no swelling or  bruising as per last time.

Lesson to self  loosing weight affects your shooting !!

Perhaps I could lose some weight too,  if you stopped bringing me bloody chocolate every year !!       :p

Perhaps I could lose some weight too,  if you stopped bringing me bloody chocolate every year !!       :p
Hang on ... 

yup just checked ...

Westley Mr ,

Dear Santa I've been a good boy this year    (That's original .)

Can i have   ....     (Usual stuff ,  ho ho ho )

"Ah there is is,"    line 251!!!

Chocolate ...  lots of it please

Loads of luv  (Spelling!)

Wes xx

I Only bring what is asked for, and deserved ;)

Perhaps wes should ask for shooting lessons this year :lol:

Perhaps wes should ask for shooting lessons this year :lol:
Perhaps we could start with how to load the bloomin gun    ???

Hey just you wait, back at the Hozzie in 2 weeks time AND if they give me the all clear, then just watch out  !      B)

Latest posts

Back