Leading edge or full on.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanco

Hi.

Just a quick very basic question.

When shooting DTL do you give the targets that come out the trap hard left/right any lead? For example I am unsure if I should be shooting at the clay or in front.

I am shooting ¾ and full. I am tempted to shoot at the leading edge of the clay, my mate tells me to shoot at it immediately and don’t give it time to “get away”.

What do you do on a hard left/right clay? Any tips for the hard left/right target.

Chanco.

gun speed will inpart lead, you never consciously give lead on a dtl target, look for the front edge this will help with target acquisition. No need to shoot to fast, see the target out and as a whole look for leading edge and the rest will just happen.

your welcome. Good luck let us know how you progress

Without getting into a full blown discussion about choke,my rule of thumb is if there are lots of dust clouds your too tight, at the weekend i had this with half so opened up to quarter first shot .All depends on gun cartridge mix but dust cloud rule still applies,in my opinion.

Re lead,what ips said.

I recall reading a long time ago how the Italian shooter thot the US shooters' fascination w/ way tight choke was  miss guided but loved 'em for it cuz they knew that those chokes were gonna make for some misses.  And since I know I'm not Mr.Wonderful, the choke I use seldom make any smoke.  OK, a little sometimes.  

but use what works for you - after a few years you'll figure it out

Hi.

Thank you for the replies.

No option with the chokes as I am fixed with my Miroku Mk38 at ¾ and full so for me that’s that.

As for shooting the leading edge I did one round of DTL last night. Only the 4th time I have done it, I have only had a gun a few weeks.

I hit 19 with first barrel and 2 with the second so I am getting a little better. I found it very hard to “remember” to shoot at the leading edge as reaction takes over as I just went for it.

I suppose that is a demonstration that I am a beginner and I need to concentrate more. I will keep trying and practicing.

I am going to Rufforth on Sat afternoon and hope to do 4 rounds.

Chanco

That's a good start my friend well done. Nothing wrong with 3/4 full but you may want to try 8s there more forgiving pattern wize imo (for dtl anyway)

The leading edge thing is purely to assist in FULL target acquisition and focus, at the very last part of your pre shot routine either just before, as you mount or once your settled depending on your routine you need a mental trigger (a word) to focus the mind such as "target" or "front edge" then your off into auto pilot and everything happens without conscious thought. There are of course a myriad of ways to focus ones mind but the above works for me.

pssst

don't tell anyone though because its a secret 

I recall reading a long time ago how the Italian shooter thot the US shooters' fascination w/ way tight choke was  miss guided but loved 'em for it cuz they knew that those chokes were gonna make for some misses.  And since I know I'm not Mr.Wonderful, the choke I use seldom make any smoke.  OK, a little sometimes.  

but use what works for you - after a few years you'll figure it out
ATA shooters fascination with tight chokes is absurd IMO (as I have discovered on Trapshooters.com). They chuck 32g of lead at a 30 yard target and squeeze it through the tightest choke. WTF ? And they quote famous ATA shooters who say "any choke is fine as long as its full" . They certainly don't shoot a full choke because they believe if gives a chance of misses!!

Strange bunch those yanks (except Charlie of course)  :unsure:

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
until fairly recently dtl was 3/4 full end of. We shot 32g up until mid 90s. I have tried more open chokes at all trap disciplines incl dtl and I remain unconvinced that anything is any better than 3/4 full for edge on targets. Maybe folk think that a couple more inches of pattern will kill the odd target that they in effect missed. !!!!

Thank you IPS for your encouraging words.

At the moment I am shooting 24g 7.5.  

Lots of info on chokes DT – To be honest I am glad I can’t change them, that may change as I get more experience but for now I think it best if I concentrate my efforts on technique and obviously the direction I am pointing the thing.

your remarks re choke are sensible indeed. Do not get bogged down with choke and stuff it WILL cock you up. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by anything other than "propper trap choke" from my experience, and anyone who thinks that a few inches of extra flyers on the pattern will hit the target they missed are deluded Imo (talking trap here specifically dtl not anything to do with esp or esk) 24g 7.5 is an excellent choice you will not miss a dtl target because of 24g of that I can assure you.

if you are serious about dtl THE single most important thing is a simple, replicable routine this above everything is the foundation. Find a routine that you are happy with and as soon as you can hit 23 x 25 stick with what you have because the two that you missed were because you tried to hard or you were thinking about what's for lunch.

secondly my next word of wisdom for what its worth do not fall into the trap that dtl is easy, every target needs to be shot at to hit it not an attempt not to miss.

enjoy... dtl is a fabulous discipline that is poo poo'd by many as boring and easy but these same people generally have not had the BUZZ and the adrenalin rush of being on 95 straight with 5 to go. :)

Thanks Ips.

Yep I do like the DTL, I go with another 3 lads so we have a bit of a competition every time we go. Your right about the mindset. Last night I was on 19 from 20. My last stand was number 3. I started to think about my score and that was that, I ended up on 21 from 25.

May be I will move onto other things but for now one month into a brand new sport it has plenty to offer me. I will work on my routine!!!

I have had 2 lesson before I got my license, when I told my instructor I was interested in DTL he told me to get the MK38 fixed choke gun, whilst this could open up a massive debate I am happy with the gun. To be honest I am not good enough to challenge the gun so in my hands its fine by me.

Thanks for your help.

Chanco.

Last edited by a moderator:
chanco, your very welcome.

you are doing very very well indeed to be hitting 20 plus within such a short time. Gun is fine cartridge is fine your technique must be fine all you need is experience and time to settle into a routine.

I predict a 25 straight will come your way by August :)

ps

popular misconception is that peg 3 is the easiest, it is not. On 3 you have right and left angles other 4 are relatively straight and either left or right. ;)

Cheers.

Yes......... it got in my head Peg three with 5 to go !! I was of the opinion it was the easiest, I started to think a high score was on the way.....

I hope you are correct with the August prediction. I am going twice per week at the moment. 1 or 2 rounds on a Tuesday night and then 3 or 4 on a Saturday.

Love it... no time for work !!

I wish.

Chanco

until fairly recently dtl was 3/4 full end of. We shot 32g up until mid 90s. I have tried more open chokes at all trap disciplines incl dtl and I remain unconvinced that anything is any better than 3/4 full for edge on targets. Maybe folk think that a couple more inches of pattern will kill the odd target that they in effect missed. !!!!
Seems a few of us old buggers still use 3/4 and full Ian. OK so the famous boys may not use chokes that are so tight, but we aint famous and never likely to be either! There is just something reassuring about knowing that there is no doubt that your chokes are that tight, so if you miss one (or lots) you know it's you and not holes in the pattern due to open chokes. Lets face it Ian, there were still plenty of old timers using full and extra full with 32grm loads when we started trap shooting! :lol:  

absolutely les.

all this dtl talk has made me want to shoot the kriegoff end of may :)

ATA shooters fascination with tight chokes is absurd IMO (as I have discovered on Trapshooters.com). They chuck 32g of lead at a 30 yard target and squeeze it through the tightest choke. WTF ? And they quote famous ATA shooters who say "any choke is fine as long as its full" . They certainly don't shoot a full choke because they believe if gives a chance of misses!!

Strange bunch those yanks (except Charlie of course)  :unsure:

DT

Full choke will give you a shot string at that distance and will give you a margin of error if your a bit to far in front

Back