New Pilla lens sets for black clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

Yesterday I saw on FB details of a new colour spectrum being offered to enhance black clays (I can barely contain myself  :lol: ) and today found this explanation : 

For you those who want more info, here is a quote from Philip Pilla:"The use of this lens for shooting sports is an approach where the wearer is seeing more contrast by swinging a black target to be more dense. The useof the DC lens will actually do the complete opposite of what our technology for targets is designed to do on colored targets… (Orange, Pink Lime green etc) It will dilute the vibrancy of the target…
However, some are finding that the lens is working to kill the target by introducing a counter intuitive approach… When orange or pink is against a grey sky the targets luminesce is tougher to see… Some call this “White Out”… A situation where the target blends with the backdrop… 
Some shooters find that the DC spectral curve makes the target turn black or dark grey and easier to see against this cloud cover.
Further in a situation that the target is actually native black… The intensity of the black is enhanced… 
So through experimentation this application has provided some shooters very nice specialty lens. 
The design of the lens is not articulated for this application but some are using it to their benefit. 
I find the same thing in operating rooms around the world with respect to our lens technology where surgeons who happen to be shooters are using our lenses for better patient outcomes. Certainly not what the lenses were designed to do but our technology has found its way into other applications.”

Putting aside any scepticism that they'd leave it so long before inventing a shade that can deal with singularly THE most mundane and therefore obvious choice of clay colour :rolleyes: :lol: , what do people think of the plausibility of the above particularly the highlighted bits ? 

I bloody wish my customers realised that one gearbox was not enough and that they needed a set of gearboxes in an array of colours. Once my turnover had increased 10 fold, I could then add another colour to make it 11 fold. 

FFS..

bollox

after many years of playing with lens colour it is my opinion that in uk changeable light the best colour is clear. I have never experienced any enhancement to target acquisition from any tint (on orange clays anyway) just my opinion.

bollox

after many years of playing with lens colour it is my opinion that in uk changeable light the best colour is clear. I have never experienced any enhancement to target acquisition from any tint (on orange clays anyway) just my opinion.
I use deep purple most of the time down here with the bright sunshine blue sky and green backdrop to the fosse I find the orange clay is very well enhanced. I have the CMT lens too but to be honest I find the deep purple to be the first choice in bright conditions. When things turn a little duller I go over to orange or vermillion.

not questioning a tint may work in certain light but the problem I find in UK is whatever colour you put on is wrong after ten targets as the uk light is so changeable hence clear allows whatever your god gave you to adapt accordingly. Only my opinion but from experience.

I'll show you in just a moment!

...you're probably not going to see it.

But, its worth remembering this is an ARCHERY product, to kill the red and therefore promote the gold centre of the target...its use in clay shooting is perhaps rather limited but this isn't its intended purpose after all.

IMG_4197.JPG

I'm really struggling on the legality of a situation where the target is native black.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would not work at all for me, dear God. ?
When I wrote this yesterday I saw that clay as a grey.  Towards the end of the day or whenever I am tired my eyesight deteriorates even when wearing my glasses for reading.  This morning it is black I suppose because my eyes are fresher.  Serious question - would that work for me when I am that person who "loses" orange clays under some conditions.  I do find the Pilla "orange" lenses work for in that I am picking up the orange clays a lot more and I am happy with that but it is not all the time and there could be a lot of reasons for that I suppose.  Same for the pink - I don't know why I even use the colour names they look the same to me.

No it wouldn't. There are some specific "orange enhancers" that CAN help SOME people pick up the blaze clays better. This is not one of those!

you know what I dislike about a bag full of different lens's........ Something else to decide on and poss get wrong.

question purely to fire discussion.

if you kill all background with a specific lens to a degree that only the target is prominent does this not effect ones perception of distance and or target speed ??

Possibly...we know speed and lead and distance can be "messed up" when shooting under floodlights for instance, so another couple of questions.

Can you actually kill ALL backgrounds with just one coloured lens?

How were great scores shot years ago when we didnt have all this choice or even have to wear specs at all? ;)

exactly ed. I never wore them in the good old days and would not now if I wasn't forced to,

Possibly...we know speed and lead and distance can be "messed up" when shooting under floodlights for instance, so another couple of questions.

How were great scores shot years ago when we didnt have all this choice or even have to wear specs at all? ;)
Ed years ago you had target setters with sense. Orange clays were in the grass, bushes, tree's, etc and black clays in the sky. Now you have orange clays in the grey bright back lit sky which just disappear and black rabbits, clays in the grass bushes etc. Why do they do it ? Modern black clay's also appear the be more shiny and reflect the light more.

The best thing to do is ask someone wearing a particular shade of lens on a hard to see target to try them your self, most will let you, they may work or not, saves wasting money on stuff you may never use. Everyone's eye's are different.

What happens when you get a black clay followed by an orange clay? 
Black in the sky  - orange in the grass, bushes, tree's, etc, simples.

Ed, I have a question, for an average shooter (say on the fringes of 'a' at local club shoot for sake of argument) with no eyesight impediments, how many clays ex 100 do you think the 'correct' lens colour would gain that shooter versus clear lenses or indeed the completely 'wrong' lens colour in an average day at an average competition? It would be interesting to see your rough guess as to best and least improvements. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back