The Gloom

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

A few months ago I started wearing contact lenses, and my shooting benefitted greatly. The clarity of vision wherever I pointed my eyeball was a bit of an, er, eye-opener, and I've been perfectly happy with my newly acquired lenses.

Recently, when the light levels are low, I've noticed that a tendency for my right eye (astigmatic) to lose dominance. I suspect this has to do with a combination of things. It's the eye that gives the lens more of a challenge, because the lens has to constantly adjust itself to my eye in order to defeat the astigmatism, and this means that a contaminated lens that doesn't shuffle easily round the eye's surface to the correct orientation. That leads to a poor focus, meaning it's not the stronger eye, and everything swaps over to the left. I can usually manage this phenomenon by only using fresh lenses or even daily disposables when I'm shooting, and all is well.

But now the light is lower it's not working so well. I am trying very hard to train myself to close my left eye temporarily, which actually works if the timing is right (target acquired, muzzles tracking) but it's a struggle to both remember to do it and to actually achieve the required "left eye wink".

Despite my general anti-gimmick disposition I'm now open to ideas. Dab of vaseline on the left lens (shooting glasses, not contact lens!) ? Easy Hit? (Please say no!), consider swapping shoulder?

Anyone in the same boat? Any ideas?

Paging @EdLyons - he has a brand of contact lens which can help with astigmatism. I think its called Duette

Thanks Matt - Charles it sounds as though the issue is coming from a more dilated pupil when the light levels are low.

Perhaps try a design with greater aberration control, the Duette is great as long as the astigmatism is on the cornea and not inside in the crystalline lens itself.

Alternatively, toning down the other eye using something like a shotspot foil may be effective enough to keep the right eye in charge!

Thank you Ed. I shall go back to my man. Now I think of it he did reckon my lenses would be best in good light.

I will report back.

Latest posts

Back