RE XLW lense choice?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

Evening folks, I'm getting geared up to pick up some ranger XLW or Falcons from york guns in the next few weeks.

The question is what lenses are you all running in the Rangers, I currently only use a yellow and a smoke (buts that because that's all the Lenses I can have with my current glasses)

what are the popular lenses to be using these days?

Thanks in advance Martin

Agree for me dark purple is the one rain or shine. I have six colours but rarely change from the dark purple,although CMT can be very good on very bright days.

I've got light purple, fine on dull day's, but not dark enough for blue sky's...CMT great on very bright day's or for seeing orange clays against snow also have a HD lens, also good on dull days. Dark Puple getting bought from Mr Lyons during the close season...

Depends what you're shooting, discipline-wise and how light sensitive you are.

You can mix and match a three lens kit to enable you to have a general purpose lens, an option for bright sun and a third for poor light.

And of course, anyone who orders through here gets a lovely little Shootclay discount ;)

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses folks, most appreciated.  Looks like the Dark purple is a popular choice.

Depends what you're shooting, discipline-wise and how light sensitive you are.

You can mix and match a three lens kit to enable you to have a general purpose lens, a cloud for bright sun and a third for poor light.

And of course, anyone who orders through here gets a lovely little Shootclay discount ;)

Ed
I mainly shoot English sporting and a bit of game shooting.  The main thing I struggle with is black clays against green background (mainly picking up rabbits against grass) We also shoot Orston quite a bit and they have a big leylandi hedge all down one side which they often throw orange clays against which can be a bit hard to pick up at times.  The game shooting I mainly need something to dull bright sunshine down with if we're looking into the sun on a drive.  I'm only a hobby shooter in any case.

I spoke to York guns about the XLW's as I live about an hour south of them in Lincolnshire and was quite disappointed that they didn't do any packages, everything had to be bought individually and no offers of discount were made for any form of group buying.  Which I wasn't amazed by!

What complicates matters a little more is that I also need the prescription insert, I shoot in daily disposable contact lenses mainly, but need the back up of a prescription insert in case I have forget my contacts or need to take them out for any reason.  It also doesn't help that I have no confidence in vision express.  My eye test 2 years ago was -0.5 and -0.5, had a contact check up 1 year ago any my contacts needed to change to -0.75 and -0.1 but glasses stayed the same, just had another eye test this last week or two and they said -0.5 and -0.25 So I'm completely all at sea with my prescription and don't have the confidence in them glazing a £60 insert and then it turning out to be wrong.  So a trip to Edd and a package deal may be in order!

Thanks again for all the replies folks

The other weekend I was shooting a UT competition in bad light conditions with a very grey sky and a hint of rain. I was on the first squad and thought I would change from my normal dark purple to orange... huge mistake.. fine for anything low with the green of the trees behind but anything high and I could not see them well when they went above the trees into the sky and was then taking a guess. I changed to my purple lens for the next round and I could see the targets well both against the trees and the, by then very grey and drizzle filled sky instant improvement in picking up the clay. For fluoro orange clays in any light bar perhaps very bright clear blue sky purple works best for me as said CMT for the bright conditions. I guess everybody is different but I would not bother with any other colours to be honest.

I have seen a few shooters of late, mostly users of Oakley glasses, with one shade of lens for their front eyes and a different colour for the eyes in the BACK of their heads ! And you think you have problems just choosing 1 colour ?

Back