new/return to the forum and a return to the sport....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi,

i'm new here so please forgive the stupid questions i'm probably going to ask...!

I used to shoot DTL as a junior (many years ago, >22years ago) and made a short forray back into the sport in 2003/4. I've decided to try again and in the interim 9 years my god have things seemed to change so I'm looking for some help and advice!

Ok here goes:

• I let my license lapse in 2008/9 and by word am i having issues renewing it through gloucester police force. Already been 2 months and not with the investigating officer yet! any ideas how to get them to get a wriggle on?
  • I've done a quick search of the tinterweb for local clubs, seems the CPSA find a club page misses more than it has. Can anyone recommend any DTL/ABT/UT/OT grounds in gloucestershire or very close to? I've got ian coley, SW2000, cheddar (now renamed or is there another?) and stroud. Are there anymore? Seems limited for UT?OT/ABT....
  • wow have cartridges gone up(!). Can anyone recommend a good cheap cartridge (and where to get them?) for starting off? I'm thinking cheap as i think i'll need to get through ALOT before being semi-competent again. Seems eley first or OT look reasonable?
  • Guns.... and gun shops. Specifically looking for a trap gun and probably wise to get fitted, does anyone have any advice re gun fit and where to get a good deal? Used to have a K80 and then DT10 but seems they have over doubled in price in the interim, ouch!
  • oh, and i guess books, anything anyone recommends as a read to learn the basics again? (reckon i'll be trying skeet to as seems more of that about in Gloucestershire than anything else.... guess i'll ask a question of the skeet section re guns...)

As i say, apols for the daft and dull questions, I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

A grateful returnee!

stu.

Hi Stu and welcome to the site. The long wait you are experiencing is normal now since the cutbacks in the police, mine was 13 weeks to replace and my wife is still waiting, 12 weeks so far so just sit in there and twiggle your thumbs.

When I came back to the sport last year I also had the same raised eye brows that you did regarding prices of carts and guns. I started off with Eley OT which are a decent shell and have now moved over to Fiocchi F-Blu at £41 per 250. Guns !!!!!!!!!!!! well, dig deep and go for what you know and like, you have already had two of the best so expect to pay around £2500-3500 for a s/h DT10 and £5000-8000 for a s/h K80. You could of course sell the house and buy a new K80 now up to £11200 for the latest high rib trap gun.

You could do the same as me and get back into the game with a 'sound as a pound' old but good gun then look for the pricey stuff when you have got your head back into clay busting.

Good luck in your search and have a look on the 'shootbay' section of the forum, there is a couple of lovely DT10's if they are still available.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site :) any questions let us know.

Jon.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Bob_P was selling a DT10 Double Trap.

Shells, I would go for Fiocchi Top Ones or F-Blu (not seen them yet myself). Eley Olympics are good too,

It might do you well to have a lesson with someone like Coley at his ground. Might be pricey but after a lay-off, it could pay dividends

can you recommend a source for fiocchi cartridges? what sort of £/1000 are they?

I'm assuming 7.5s 28gr will do for everything?

Is the current thinking still 3/4 and full for all trap disciplines?

I suggest you contact your nearest ground for cart prices or if delivery/collection is suitable, try here :-

http://www.justcartr...cartridges.html

I cant speak for others but I use 3/4 & full for OT / UT / ABT. Quite happy on 1/2 choke for DTL. I now use 24grm, 7.5 for all trap and some sporting and 28grm fibre and plastic wad 7.5 / 9s for most of my sporting which I shoot with 3/4 & full so I change carts to suit the targets as I don't have multi choke guns.

My Fiocchi F-Blu carts are £160 per 1000 from my local club, bloody miles away from you.

Hope that is of some help

Phil

excuse my ignorance, looking at that website link, i cant see the F-Blu?

so, 30 or 32in now..... always used 32 before but liked 30s for UT/OT... hmmm so many questions...

Latest posts

Back