Walnut Oil - Never Dries?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducky

When I brought my gun they gave me a bottle of Walnut Oil which I could use to help improve the look of the wood (oiled finish), the instructions say wipe on and leave to dry (says it's fast drying), but it never dries.  Do you think this because my stock is an oiled finish?

Wondering if I should try leaving it overnight.......would be great if it worked as when the oil is wet the finish is nice and glossy. .

You'll probably find that your gun has a polyurethane varnish on the stock, this will stop any other wood finishes soaking in unless removed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting....if that's the case I'm not sure I fancy sanding it down just yet being a week old! :D  .

What gun is it?

As James said, you could well have over applied the oil. A bit on your fingertip will do most of one side of the stock.

Above is correct a tiny dab on finger then you need to work it all over with the palm of your hand. The friction generates heat which helps it absorb and to dry. It will however take a couple of weeks to go anything like hardened.  As My Learned Friend said above you cant use too little.

It's a B725BE, I've been using a blob on my finger and spreading it around, sounds like perhaps I'm still using too much, so will try again and work it over with the palm as mentioned above.

Cheers peeps! :D

Keep working it until your palm or fingertip(s), which ever one of chose to apply it with, get hot with the friction of rubbing.

If the surface is still slick/slippy it's too wet.

Once you've done that leave it somewhere warm for 24 hours or so, depending on which brand of oil you used.

Latest posts

Back