Higher comb sporting stocks

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesterse

If you look around any sporting competition it seems the majority of people have the combs on their sporting stocks jacked up. It begs the question " why as the norm don't the leading manufacturers make them with a higher combed fixed stock" . IMO the stock looks far better apart from anything else without a large gap in it.

If you look around any sporting competition it seems the majority of people have the combs on their sporting stocks jacked up. It begs the question " why as the norm don't the leading manufacturers make them with a higher combed fixed stock" . IMO the stock looks far better apart from anything else without a large gap in it.
Because they still won't fit the majority of people, if on a budget and cant afford custom stock/gunsmithing then an adjustable is the only way to go, unless your really lucky and it fits you as standard!

too low in the comb  and I loose the plot ,  I would prefer monte carlo stock , but have to settle on adj comb ,   having said that im very average shot , so perhaps im wrong .

Try a HPX Perazzi shotgun and see how much rib you can see but still have the gun shoot to POI. With that the barrels are out of the way of the target so no lost birds due to obscuring the target. More vision IS a good thing. 

I think most like to see to much rib

What makes you think that?
There's a lot of people shooting sporting seeing as much rib as you would on a trap gun 20 years ago, each to there own I don't have a problem with it was just making the point

There's a lot of people shooting sporting seeing as much rib as you would on a trap gun 20 years ago, each to there own I don't have a problem with it was just making the point
Yeah, there's a lot of people who shoot with trap guns round the sporting scene too or swap trap stocks onto sporters. Has it never occurred to you that most sporter stocks are badly designed, too low in the comb, that 'flat' shooting guns can be a major disadvantage, especially when you have to loose sight of the clay as you pass it? If the gun fits you, it should shoot where you are looking...if you have a 'higher' comb, chances are you will be looking at the clay when you fire, because you can actually see the clay (more often) rather than your vision bring obscured by the barrels because your comb is too low and you are looking 'flat'down the rib!!!

I think it is a little more complex than that.

Sporting as evolved immensely in the last twenty years, many targets are distant and high winning scores require precise target acquisition. Gone are the days where you shot at dolly targets from a gun down position.

Yeah, there's a lot of people who shoot with trap guns round the sporting scene too or swap trap stocks onto sporters. Has it never occurred to you that most sporter stocks are badly designed, too low in the comb, that 'flat' shooting guns can be a major disadvantage, especially when you have to loose sight of the clay as you pass it? If the gun fits you, it should shoot where you are looking...if you have a 'higher' comb, chances are you will be looking at the clay when you fire, because you can actually see the clay (more often) rather than your vision bring obscured by the barrels because your comb is too low and you are looking 'flat'down the rib!!!
I get what James is saying. I as many will know believe comb height to be over complicated. If comb is low you tend to look low if it's high you tend to look high so poi is automatically compensated. In other words it's not neccasarily a case of fiddling with comb height to adjust ppi to were your looking you could go the easy route and look were poi is.

I think it is a little more complex than that.

Sporting as evolved immensely in the last twenty years, many targets are distant and high winning scores require precise target acquisition. Gone are the days where you shot at dolly targets from a gun down position.
I agree up to a point with the distant stuff.

You need to be flexible with gun mount up or down, use what ever is best for the target.

But what about the targets very close, that slow sh*tty quartering rabbit, the soppy close slow crossers, read about his sort of target on here all the time causing problems.

So called card fillers, they are there to cause just such problems. The top shots very rarely miss these as they are adaptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one suggested shooting a comb to low, I see all of the rib a flat 90degree crosser I would always have to float a little for better breaks so I assume the gun shoots a little higher than 50/50, if that's an advantage I don't know, raising my comb just like buying a krieghoff is not going to turn me into Ed solomons, mark winser, or Gebben miles.

7c76b81d670abbde34dddc3b108998a7.jpg

I would consider this too low for me I'd like to see a little more than this

A shotgun is a little more forgiving than that, I don't have to float more or less for distance if he's on top of the barrel he,s dead ( well some of the time ) say hanging crow I shoot a little under or bottom edge both pictures would kill, only if I covered the clay with the barrel Would i shoot over,

Last edited by a moderator:
Faces are different.  I shoot a relatively high comb but that does not put me high above the rib and my guns shoot to where I look - no floating req'd.

And since this is rapidly degenerating into a POI/POA nonsensical gunfit kinda thing I'm not saying any more.

Well, just that sporting stocks are stupid low for me.  All I see is the back of the action.

Yes Wonko I'm the opposite of yourself and struggle to get guns low enough, could be my ugly mug my gammy mount or a bit of both

Latest posts

Back