Oiling end of stock

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbane1

I've noticed that the end of my stock along the edge of the recoil pad seems to be drying out, it looks dull compared to the rest of the stock. I had the stock shortened before the pad was fitted. Should I remove the pad and oil the bare end of the stock before refitting the pad?

Yes.

I too have noticed a few of my guns over the years seem to be drier at this point so I think your idea is a good one and certainly won't do any harm.

Yes, it certainly won't hurt to oil the stock. The dryness in the area of the buttpad probably results from your clothing drawing the moisture out of the wood.

That's my uneducated theory, anyway, and I'm sticking to it! :spiteful:

I think I would be inclined to do the WHOLE stock. I am in the middle of doing a Beretta 20 bore stock now and the transformation from the day that I started to date (1 week) is incredible. If you need stock oil, I have just bought a kit of 3 different oils from Sorrell Bros. for £20 posted.

Doing the whole stock will give a better overall finish.

You don't need anything fancy or expensive to seal stocks.  The best wood sealer, recommended by a lifetime paint chemist, is plain spar varnish thinned 50% and you put that on until it quits soaking in.  Wait a few min and do it again.  I seal inside the action area and under the pad.  Gunoil and water will never be a problem to a properly sealed stock.  If you were planning on using linseed oil don't bother.  Water goes right thru it, oil too.

JMO of course but it works anyway   :preved:

You don't need anything fancy or expensive to seal stocks. The best wood sealer, recommended by a lifetime paint chemist, is plain spar varnish thinned 50% and you put that on until it quits soaking in. Wait a few min and do it again. I seal inside the action area and under the pad. Gunoil and water will never be a problem to a properly sealed stock. If you were planning on using linseed oil don't bother. Water goes right thru it, oil too.

JMO of course but it works anyway :preved:
What do you thin the spar varnish with Wonko? Whenever I've had a new stock in the white and and am grain sealing it I've coated the action and butt area with the shellac sealer.

Rapid oil also good it's a pre mixed version of the three part stuff that Phil mentions. Alcanet also good as a sealer.

What do you thin the spar varnish with Wonko? Whenever I've had a new stock in the white and and am grain sealing it I've coated the action and butt area with the shellac sealer.
Spar varnish is just high quality paint with no color so any decent thinner will work.  Not sure if turp would be a good idea tho.  .  Newell, the God of Gunstock Finishing, says naptha or white gasoline is easiest since they both evaporate fast.  Or the varnish manufacturer's recommended thinner .

water thin and soak it

and don't do this before you stain if you plan to do that

ref - A. Donald Newell, "Gunstock Finishing and Care"  the absolute best book on finishes/finishing ever

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back