Perazzi coil spring conversion

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Downer

Hi all,

Shot today and during Sportrap one of my V springs decided to let go. Having read many previous discussions on coil/v spring preference, I get it that the V's out perform the coils on trigger pulls and I noticed it after my mate lent me his mx12 to finish the round. However I dropped only one more target with it than my gun on the previous round. What I'm looking at is getting a conversion to the coils purely for the fact that a reliable gun means a lot more to me than one that feels a little better when I pull the trigger but always wondering when it's going to break. This set of springs were two months old and at 80 quid a set I'm not too keen on doing that too often. Any ideas on who could do the conversion and what it would cost?

Many thanks

Mark

Tim Greenwood in Kent can do this I'm sure. Alternatively buy a spare second hand trigger unit but with coil springs, ask Chris Potter he may have a second hand set available. Second hand they go for around £500. I reckon Perazzi conversion parts and labour you could be looking at £300. Don't forget that if you buy a spare set they won't have the matching serial numbers that your existing ones do.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be asking why a spring that is only a few months old, failed.

Were they Perazzi ones?

I had a Perazzi for years never had any problems with the 'v' springs. I think there must be something wrong! They should last a lot longer than 2 months!

Yes, it has perazzi stamped on it. An old friend has just given me a new spring to keep me going and he has only had one go in 5 years! Can I add I am probably partially to blame for not firing off before storing the gun. Lesson learned! Surely 2 months is still a bit premature though?

Every five years is about normal but new ones can take a while to settle. It's a Ferrari mate not a Porsche or even a Toyota [Miroku], here's a couple of mine.

post-54-0-22716100-1408978177.jpg

Attachments

• Vspring 008.JPG
    Vspring 008.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
I've not seen the pre-owned coil setups about so you may wait a while on finding one of those.  I've not shot a conversion but the cost, to me anyway, would not make that an economical move.

In the last 20+ years I've broken one spring.  That's spread over 5-7 guns used regularly and most are 30+ years old.  

YMMV of course

Thanks for info and views guys.....sounds like its a bit of a lottery and I've had a bit of bad luck. Snap caps are on order. Replacement springs and kit soon to be on their way.

Just a thought?

Has Danielle dropped a clanger?

Perazzi springs appear to break regularly (it isn't an unheard of failure!)

Miroku and AyA's with leaf springs, cannot ever remember a leaf spring failure !

I have often wondered if manufacturing by wire erosion from the solid would produce a stress free spring that would give superior reliability.

I have the facility to manufacture a batch if anyone would be interested?

" I reckon Perazzi conversion parts and labour you could be looking at £300!

You would have to be mentally deranged to pay that a new set of springs cost me €85 and I have them in the box should one break! They take no more than 5 mins to replace if you know what you are doing, in fact if you really do know what you are about I think you could do it in a good bit less.

edit

Is that actually true or are you just saying that if you take one hundred Perazzi shotguns you will get several spring failures amongst them over a period of time? I know several people who have shot them for years and never had a failure. You see if I had a spring break every say five years that is regular but a spring every five years is, in my opinion, acceptable and as I have said you an replace the spring in minutes no gunsmithing required at all.. so a cheap repair.

" I reckon Perazzi conversion parts and labour you could be looking at £300!

You would have to be mentally deranged to pay that a new set of springs cost me €85 and I have them in the box
Think you misread my post. The estimate of £300 was for the parts and labour required to convert from v springs to coil springs. I know that replacement v springs won't cost anything like £300 but was directly referring to the question posed by the original poster.

MM

What I was meaning was why pay that sort of money for a conversion when the springs cost less than €50 each you will have the gun a long time before you will spend that much on springs! I understand you don't want the inconvenience of broken springs but they are easy to replace. Coil springs do break too though but I am not knocking what you said though MM for some it may be the way to go.

Just a thought?

Miroku and AyA's with leaf springs, cannot ever remember a leaf spring failure !

I have often wondered if manufacturing by wire erosion from the solid would produce a stress free spring that would give superior reliability.

Considering the thousands of Perazzis and the massive number of rounds thru them I would suggest that the "regularity" of springs breaking is an illusion and nothing more than a factor of scale

I don't know this for a fact of course, and there is at least one other source for an alternative style spring, but I think that all V-springs are subject to the same sort of failure.  The may well be a market for your proposed spring so you might consider a test batch.  There is a price point so that is something to consider as well.

you may be interested to see an alternate approach

http://www.mm-accessory.com/chi_siamo.php

Just a thought?

Hmm.. Wire erosion is great in certain instances, but certainly in F1 they tend not to make critical thin stressed parts from it. There is some compromise in component integrity (that I haven't logged in detail).

Hi sorry to hijack this thread but I have a kemen km4 shotgun, most of you will know this as a very close perazzi copy. I'm interested to know if the perazzi springs will fit the gun? I have the spares set that came with the gun but I'm concerned about spares if I ever need to get more.

Hi sorry to hijack this thread but I have a kemen km4 shotgun, most of you will know this as a very close perazzi copy. I'm interested to know if the perazzi springs will fit the gun? I have the spares set that came with the gun but I'm concerned about spares if I ever need to get more.
Nicola says the firing pins fit so maybe ...............  

I've asked Mauro Perazzi whether it is possible to convert a leaf spring trigger action to coil spring operation and he said it was not as the frame the parts fit onto is different.  I was with Bianca Revello who works for him, last weekend and she said the same.

Latest posts

Back