bursitis

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper

mrs having spot of bother with bursitis in shoulder .  help needed please as doc says its caused by repeatative lifting of weight ( heavy gun ? or work related lifting )  some other theorists say its recoil induced .  any clues . ?

jasper

mrs having spot of bother with bursitis in shoulder .  help needed please as doc says its caused by repeatative lifting of weight ( heavy gun ? or work related lifting )  some other theorists say its recoil induced .  any clues . ?

jasper
Don't know the answer to your question but i had the same last october in my left shoulder 

I had the jab and some chemo and I can happily say it's now pain free and much better 

mrs having spot of bother with bursitis in shoulder . help needed please as doc says its caused by repeatative lifting of weight ( heavy gun ? or work related lifting ) some other theorists say its recoil induced . any clues . ?

jasper
hi jasper, a bursitis is a sack of fluid that becomes inflamed due to either trauma (could be a fall or bang or micro trauma such as recoil) or a repetitious activity (such as lifting the gun). The bursa is there to help reduce friction (you have them in lots of joints within the body). It could also indicate tendinopathy or a problem with the rotator cuff (4 muscles around the shoulder that basically keep your upper arm in the socket and help it move in certain directions).
As evoracer has suggested, pain killing (cortisone) can help but what you really need to do is see a Physio who can assess why this has happened to try to prevent it from happening again. Such things as posture, muscle length, stability in the shoulder or any rotator cuff problems can cause this. Always best to work out why it has happened rather that just going straight for pain relief option. Depending on what the Physio finds, they will suggest certain exercises which will help prevent recurrence.

If you would like further info, please let me know.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an Operation on my left shoulder for this last November - it still isn't right but it's loads better - they say it takes 6-12 months to get over !!

Hi nick

Thanks for reply. Mrs has had two months off from shooting and lifting at work and also a cortisone injection . shoulder feeling OK but obviously would like to avoid a reacurance. As you say the cause must be identified. Any info /pointers appreciated.

Bursitis is swelling/inflammation of the bursa - little fluid filled sacks around your joints which help protect & cushion it. It can be caused by a few things, but repetitive movement is one of the main ones. I'd be surprised if it was recoil induced, continuous mounting of a heavy (relative) gun is a more likely shooting related cause. I suffered a bout having worked above my head with my arms raised for a couple of days. Are you sure it's shooting related? Rest, Ice and anti inflammatories/pain killers is the way forward. Don't rush back to anything too strenuous too soon, it can flare back up quite easily. It's worth waiting the extra week or so to ensure full recovery.

Hi nick

Thanks for reply. Mrs has had two months off from shooting and lifting at work and also a cortisone injection . shoulder feeling OK but obviously would like to avoid a reacurance. As you say the cause must be identified. Any info /pointers appreciated.
I reckon your best bet would be to go and see a Physio (private might be quicker) and get them to fully assess it.

Scuta

Not entirely sure its shooting related. But maybe exacerbated by it.

Nick

Many thanks.

Jasper

Scuta

Not entirely sure its shooting related. But maybe exacerbated by it.

Nick

Many thanks.

Jasper
Agree that shooting has probably exacerbated it so you could say that it is shooting related....
Sorry I can't be of more help but it wouldn't be wise for me to give you exercisestreatment without assessing it first, a good Physio will be able to put you right though so hopefully it prevent it returning.

Please let me know how you (your wife) get on with it.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Back