2014 Smashing Clays 'War of the Roses' Charity Shoot - 100 ESP - 24th MAY - Hazel Bank SG

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lock Stock & Barrel

Matt's very kindly allowed me to post this here - thanks again Matt.

Here are the main details for this year's 'War of the Roses' charity shoot at Hazel Bank SG, at Knaresborough.

Whilst ostensibly the event began life as a cod-Plantagenet game of oneupmanship over a pint (Lancashire vs Yorkshire), it's now open to all-comers.

Which side do I pick and for whom do I shoot?

What we do it draw a line down the spine of the country, and depending on which side you fall, you shoot for the appropriate county; so if you fall on the left hand side of the line (as you look at map of Great Britain), you shoot for Lancs, if the right, then it's Yorks.

And yes, we do allow those who now live else where to shoot for their county of origin - e.g. one of our shooters now lives Wales but is from Yorks, and he insists in shooting for them, so that is easily accommodated.

This year, and as a nice tie-in with one of our nominated charities (Help for Heroes), we've got at least one squad from 9 Army Air Corp (from Dishforth) putting in an appearance, and very probably more than one.

We managed to raise about £800.00 last year (the inaugural year we did it), split between our two charities, and we're hoping to better that this year.

There'll also be a pool shoot for a local charity (details below on the poster) for those who want to shoo it.

The aim is for all squads to do 50 ESP in the morning (it's a 09.00 hrs start), and then, after lunch and the traps changed, another 50 ESP in the afternoon.

Squads will be a minimum and maximum of 5 shooters-per-squad - all the better if you can get up a squad of you and your mates.

There will be hot and cold catering on-site in the cafe, and a full hog roast, and plenty of car parking space.

Like last year, there should be a Tombola (so please bring a bottle/prize if you'd be so kind).

There will be medals and trophies for High Gun, 2nd and 3rd place highest individual scores, medals for highest scoring squad, Top Lady Gun and other spot prizes - e.g. bottles of decent wine, and Orston SG have been very kind and donated a raft of Jack Pyke and Zoli clothing for some lucky winners. Other gun shops and grounds are also donating prizes.

We are aware that this date, Saturday, 24th May, manages to clash with one day of the English Sporting Open at Southdown, but hey, you can't please all the people all the time. We tried to move it 31st May, but then it clashed with Pigeon Watch's charity shoot so, in order not to deplete the funds of both charity shoots, we opted to keep our to the 24th May so both shoots could maximise their charities' donation funds.

Hope some of you can turn up - I'm aware that a number of you already have put your names down, and you'll all be very welcome, I think we currently have over 45 shooters already on the list, which is growing daily.

Any questions, please just post below or send me a PM and I'll get back to you soonest.

All the best and thanks in advance,

Bren.

24xzx3t.png

For anyone who's not a member of our forum but would like to put their names down for the gig, there's also our Facebook event page, where you can.

Please see this link HERE

As time is drawing near, and even die hard Trappista ips is coming along to give it a go, anyone else fancy helping us to raise much needed funds and having a good c.r.a.i.c at the same time.

And don't forget the Hog Roast

As above either register at the Facebook page link or pm me and we'll sort it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Not ideal news, but we've just had a call from Mark, the owner of Hazel Bank shooting ground.

He's informed us that he's having to cancel the shoot "due to unforeseen circumstances", resulting in him and the ground not being in a position to host the planned 'War of the Roses' charity shoot this weekend.

I know it's a pisser, and I'm aware that everyone who's signed-up to shoot it will have made travel plans, but unfortunately, we are where we are and there's nothing we can do about. We sincerely appreciate all your support and commitment to the charities we were planning to help on the day, and apologise for any inconvenience this will have caused you.

So, what do we do now?

I've discussed this with Phil Simon (PhilS on here) and rather than try and find an alternative venue at such short notice, and shoehorn all our preparations and efforts in to some 'best endeavours' mad dash, we've decided to regroup and re-schedule the event for later this year.

In hindsight, there were a few things which potentially risked diluting the numbers attending this gig in the first place: 1) it clashed with the English Open, 2) it's a bank holiday weekend, and as such shooters with kids and families will always have other priorities and pulls on their time - understandably and quite reasonably.

So, the immediate plan is to choose a future date which does not clash with any registered shoots (usually held on a Sunday), doesn't clash with any other major shooting event and, if possible, is not on a bank holiday.

So, sincerely sorry about this guys and gals, but it is what it is. We'd really appreciate you sticking with us and attending the event when we announce the new date. :)

We are so sorry guys, but this was totally outwith our control and we are gutted.  It was set to be a great day.

We WILL be re-arranging and will post when we know the details.

5h1t happens unfortunately, well done for all your hard work and hope that when this does go ahead it turns out even better than originally planned.

Right folks,

This has now been rearranged (Bren will update the poster in his original post) to

Sat 2nd August at Marne Shooting Ground, Catterick.

Entry is £35, 100 bird sporting, planning on getting a Barbeque there, pool shoot, 2 really good causes (same as original).

See you there.

PS - anyone joining us will need to bring photo ID (SGC for shooters is fine), including non shooters (except kids), as this is on military land and you need it to get past the Guard House.  We will also need full names in advance for the same reason.

In me calendar, better still have a hog roast matey :)

In me calendar, better still have a hog roast matey :)
Errrr, not sure.  May just be a barbecue.  But what a barbecue it will be!!!   :bbq:

thanks for the support Ian  :thumbsu:

Hope to see some more of you good folks there.  It is for 2 good causes after all.   :thumbsu:

Phil

yes off you go and book it, we have found a nice caravan site very close so job done this end :)

Ps

we have resisted temptation to drink any of the raffle prizes so will bring them and the other contributions as previously mentioned in pm :)

Too far for me but I've forwarded it on to my friends in Yorkshire. Hopefully some of them will be able to attend. :nyam:  

Hope it goes well.

Latest posts

Back