Owls lodge - sporting, today 20/3/14

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firm! I am a measuring / smooth type of shooter and I suffer badly in gusty weather, but at times the gun was literally blown away from where I was trying to go.

I was surprised to see so many fast edge on birds, felt like quite a different Owls Lodge today.

The last few stands we shot were the ones in front of the clubhouse, where I did buckle down a bit and hit some 8s and 9s, but it was strong.

What I am supposed to say, to keep me looking mean and manly, is 'fantastic shoot, they should all be like that, a proper test etc.' but I'm a wimp, so I would back it off just a touch for my preference. I really enjoyed some of the tough stands, but it was pretty relentless and as an overall course could have done with two stands being a bit kinder.

To be clear, with no wind, this would likely have been a course to suit B class shooters instead of just AA. But I think C class folks were always going to be meeting a strong challenge.

I took a mate along who walked off half way round as he wasn't enjoying it. I also noticed at the end that there were an amount of missing cards..

Now all the tough guys will be along to say that I should man-up and that they would have enjoyed it even more if they had rusty spikes rammed through their arms while shooting. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,I enjoyed it! I feel I shot it well,I had more in the tank,and I got a great deal more satisfaction from shooting an 82 on that course,than I did a 90 at Podimore.

Edit: How can there be missing cards? It's ref'd.

Well,I enjoyed it! I feel I shot it well,I had more in the tank,and I got a great deal more satisfaction from shooting an 82 on that course,than I did a 90 at Podimore.

Edit: How can there be missing cards? It's ref'd.
Yes that card thing is odd. More 'procedure' needed with refs at the end? Well shot again, that must have cruised A class and been close to HG, I think it was 86?

I thought the shoot was great, tough but fair, enjoyable. Everything was hitable, even from C class.

Did not think my misses were down to hard targets. Reasonably pleased with my score, disappointed with my own performance as should have be more consistent. Dropped the second pair 3 stands in a row. Doh.

More of the same I say, hard targets make a better shooter.

Not sure Will,not seen any results yet.

Sounds like my sun bed was the best place to be....was thinking of you all....doing some visualisation techniques that I have been learning about....

Can't wait to see the scores....

Sounds like my sun bed was the best place to be....was thinking of you all....doing some visualisation techniques that I have been learning about....

Can't wait to see the scores....
I think HG of 85 or 86, with a handful in low 80's. After that it was a sharp cascade downwards. Two AA guys on my squad on 75 and 66. But I am told it was the worst wind in afternoon. (I'm clinging to that as a theory.. ) :)

My first visit it Owls lodge today, I thought the shoot was a technical course that had to be respected, I think it would have shot easier without the strong wind but while I did not shoot a great score I thought the shoot was good and required your full attention and application to build a score.

My 1st visit , found it tough & i shot crap - not a good combination :fie:

I'll have yo come back next month & see if I can do better !

Great course and scores that reflect the class system.....far to many shoots have been won on mega scores with C class being won with high 80's....surely the point is to test your shooting ability and technique. There were no silly targets on the course today but there wasn't an 'easy stand' either. The course was set in a slight breeze but was up to gale force by 11:30ish making the scores light from where they should have been.....having said that a lot of the time it was lead being put in the wrong place :). Good shooting by Wayne and Tanya yet again

Great course and scores that reflect the class system.....far to many shoots have been won on mega scores with C class being won with high 80's....surely the point is to test your shooting ability and technique. There were no silly targets on the course today but there wasn't an 'easy stand' either. The course was set in a slight breeze but was up to gale force by 11:30ish making the scores light from where they should have been.....having said that a lot of the time it was lead being put in the wrong place :). Good shooting by Wayne and Tanya yet again
It is of course entirely normal that class winners will shoot scores above the cut off for the next class. That is how the better shots in each class progress. You could also argue that this is particularly true in March and April as the classification period ends April 30th; so progressing shots will be hitting 'class above' scores at this time; just before they move up. Every class today was won by a score below or on the cut off point. 'Just saying' as the saying goes. :)
See you at the next one!

Results

post-76-0-22034500-1395348554.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
Back