Coleys SG

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteri

All

Made my first trip to Coleys yesterday to demo some guns, bit of a drive for me (200 mile round trip) - but what a ground!

All targets working, ground immaculate, cracking layout with some testing targets.

And EVERY stand had a clear photo which accurately showed you where the target was coming from, so no wasted clays just to see where it'll come from.

Such a simple thing, but why doesn't everyone do this?

Very impressed!

Pete

Reactions: Zea
Agree it is a superb set up. Shot it two weeks ago in heavy rain, no mud at all, could have worn trainers. What guns did you try and any conclusions you would like to share.

Actually - that's a good shout about underfoot, was peeing down yesterday - and dry.

Went to try the CG Evolution Evo, lovely gun - shot very nicely, but the game stock just didn't fit my face.

Going back to the open day in April to try a few more - the RF model looked lush!

Big shout for the shop too, couldn't have been more helpful

P

yep, my local ground. Went up there this afternoon. Nice to have some sun but 3 of the stands were made very difficultimpossible due to the sun blinding you. Didn't waste too much timemoney on those stands.

Yes, a really lovely ground for sure, fairly expensive at 35p a clay though and do remember to take your certificate with you, they ask to see it before you shoot a round.

Local for me too.

Excellent ground, decent shop and friendly people.

Sorry to revive a 3 year-old thread but I came across this and it raised some interesting points to me.

Firstly, a user comments it's expensive at 35p a clay. 3 years later it's 39p a clay, which is only a 4p increase over 3 years but it's still (in my opinion) ridiculously expensive. The annoying thing for me is it's only 30 min's down the road and if it was reasonably priced, maybe sub 30p, I'd be down there all the time. I've only been three times but each time it's been very quiet, I've only ever seen three or four other shooters there at the most. Surely they'd get more business if they priced it a bit more competitively, or am I missing something?

Another user comments "All targets working, ground immaculate". All three times I've been, there has been at least 1 trap down and I've had multiple no birds from the same stand. They also comment "And EVERY stand had a clear photo which accurately showed you where the target was coming from, so no wasted clays just to see where it'll come from. Such a simple thing, but why doesn't everyone do this?" - To me, the pictures are not clear at all (I am a novice so this may be my problem) and every other place I've shot at lets you see a bird, surely this is a better method than a laminated piece of A4?

Finally, another user comments "friendly people". Maybe I've been unlucky, but all the staff I've spoken to have seemed pretty unhappy and are forcing conversation and appear to be following a script; "did you enjoy it?", "will you come back?".

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great place to shoot, they have a really varied sporting layout and some challenging stands. The delay system is great for me as I have no friends that shoot ( :???: ) and the shop has an extensive range of clothes and accessories. I just wish it was better priced.

There are very few grounds that have invested as much and carry overheads like Coleys, grounds such as these are not though the place to rock up to expecting cheap practice / play, if they want / need to charge 39p per clay to operate (6 days a week all year round) then one would rather they did that than operate at a loss and close. 

Similar local operations charge at this level, yes there are also local alternatives that are cheaper, cheaper due to what they don't have which the likes of Coleys do. 

Been often, the only miserable so and so I found was looking at me in the mirror 

No im not on Coleys payroll

There are very few grounds that have invested as much and carry overheads like Coleys, grounds such as these are not though the place to rock up to expecting cheap practice / play, if they want / need to charge 39p per clay to operate (6 days a week all year round) then one would rather they did that than operate at a loss and close. 

Similar local operations charge at this level, yes there are also local alternatives that are cheaper, cheaper due to what they don't have which the likes of Coleys do. 

Been often, the only miserable so and so I found was looking at me in the mirror 

No im not on Coleys payroll
I think you're missing my point, if they charged less I'd go there all the time and spend more money in the long run, I'm sure I'm not the only one. It might have the appeal to attract people from all over but if they had some kind of member pricing system for locals, that would help and encourage frequent visits. If their cartridges were priced similar to other local suppliers then I might buy them from there.

I'm not familiar with the investment and overheads of Ian Coley but looking at their accounts, I don't think they're struggling and "need" to charge 39p.

I really like Coleys, always well presented, some of the staff seem a bit uppity but Ian is always friendly and Francis in the shop is a nice guy and very genuine.

I see your point about pricing but get the impression that they rely on corporate days so I assume that they benefit from a high price to justify corporate fees?

What  I really don't understand is why they don't do a membership with reduced fees or a couple of evening shoots similar to EJC at a lower cost, after all the fixed costs exist whether they have 1 or 100 people using them.

Prices in the shop are pretty punchy but I don't think many places carry the stock that they do

Interesting points.

My local shooting ground is Sporting Targest ltd and i joined on my third visit.

Reasons were.

I made an initial visit to have a look around before i went up with my Gun to shoot, Get the lay of the land so to speak.

Receptionist was brilliant and got a chap to show me round in a Buggy explaining the layout and general rules.

Second time i shot there i joined the club after they informed me members get discounts on clays, Carts, Lessons and other sundry items that escape me at the moment :)

So non member clays 30p with members paying 25p

Carts you get discounts for a slab upwards which makes sense as who buys them 25 at a time .

I had my lessons  at Kibworth shooting ground who offer much the same for members.

These 2 grounds are packed at the weekends so somethings working with what i call "Fair prices"

Last edited by a moderator:
Times change. Things are more expensive. I charge 25p a clay. For that I offer a good 50 bird sporting shoot, self buttoning on auto traps.  But you need a pee? Find a tree. You want a brew? Bring a flask. You want to go somewhere with all the facilities, overheads, staff, maintained grounds, paths you can walk on without the need for welly boots, and dozens of auto stands then just pay up and enjoy it. 

I reinvest everything into my shoot. At a couple of grand a pop even saving for the next trap can be painful. Since taking over my dad's stawbailer and looking to turn it into something more substantial it became quite clear you get people that want an awful lot for not very much.  

As for sporting targets....... if it wasn't 2.5 hours drive away I'd be there every other day. Love it. 

Back