Coaching during a competition

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the amount of coaching, guidance, and help being offered to competitors whilst they are in the cage shooting at targets.

It is illegal and an unfair advantage.

Although I do often see some 'great' advice that worsens the shooters chances.. But agreed. It's not on. (Common sense to be applied.. If somebody has hit 3 out of the last 30 clays, it can't hurt to assist a touch. But it's a slippery slope to allow it at all I guess).

I think there is more to worry about in life.

If somebody is learning the sport, why worry about the coaching.

Different if it is one of the class leaders with a coach behind them.

My coach helps by calling me a tw*t or hitting me on the head!

but people who are starting out what's the harm, should we not welcome people into our sport!

Agree, real beginners yes. But how to police the difference? I saw a top coach talking a student through every stand at a reg shoot once. And they weren't doing badly. Not right.

Post 4 is exactly what I am on about .

To give advice whilst walking between stands or whilst waiting to shoot I'm fine with, to stand in the cage on the competitors shoulder, offering advice is  definately a  no, no.

I am all for encouraging novices, children, but out of the cage please.

Last edited by a moderator:
During registered competition absolutely no coaching, hints, advice or any other communication while the shooter is in the stand. No problem before they go on or after they come off, but no way would I allow it during shooting. Some people think I'm a B*****d, but I've been called worse and still don't care!  :biggrin:

Practice time or non-registered is the time and place for assistance.

It just makes it easier to stick to the rules - pointers are fine until you get in the cage. Having said that I've had quite senior refs giving me pointers but I think it has been is sheer desperation and frustration and they know I am not in with any kind of hope of winning.

everyone has to learn but registered competition is not the place.and to be truthfull it not only annoys me to stand around for ages while they pick the bones of every target also it breaks the concentration.coach outside the cage but not in it.

Problem is, no one says anything, so eventually it becomes the norm. Maybe we need a yellow line behind every stand, that is at least 1m from the stand and a sign that says ONLY ONE PERSON AT A TIME IN THE STAND...?

I was refereeing at a big comp at doveridge once and one of the best lady shooters of the day was getting coaching in the stand from a very good shot and well known coach so i said no coaching in the stand please and then he did it again so i wrote a note on the card for the organisers to look at but i dont think anything was done and i dont think there is any rule stating what should be done if this happens.

It was english sporting by the way

Well there you go, a rule that is totally unenforceable (not sure thats a word!)

Problem is, no one says anything, so eventually it becomes the norm. Maybe we need a yellow line behind every stand, that is at least 1m from the stand and a sign that says ONLY ONE PERSON AT A TIME IN THE STAND...?
All you need is qualified referees with some sort of backbone at all registered shoots. If they're not up to the job, don't employ them!  :biggrin:

Yes that would be good, but never going to happen, grounds struggle to get scorers full stop, I would however be prepared to pay an extra £2 on my entry IF it meant we had that level of ref.

I don't see that there is anything wrong helping youngsters or newbies...if they are shooting birds only. Would draw the line at anyone who has gone in competition.

But frankly I could not care either way.

A newbie or a youngster when shooting birds only can be helped into enjoying the sport and they have the same right to practice their skills at registereds.....it builds the 'not being scared of a registered shoot skills'.

Too many miserable sorts in shooting these days. I would support a change of the 'rules' to allow for this for birds only shooters.....say below B class.

Why not help people rather than make it hard .....just saying.

Yes that would be good, but never going to happen, grounds struggle to get scorers full stop, I would however be prepared to pay an extra £2 on my entry IF it meant we had that level of ref.
Maybe they are all fed up with the moaners or those who are rude to them.

I was refereeing at a big comp at doveridge once and one of the best lady shooters of the day was getting coaching in the stand from a very good shot and well known coach so i said no coaching in the stand please and then he did it again so i wrote a note on the card for the organisers to look at but i dont think anything was done and i dont think there is any rule stating what should be done if this happens.

It was english sporting by the way
I think it should have been your decision after the warning. For me it's simple - pair lost!  :biggrin: Any problems let them take it up with the jury.

If the rules aren't adhered to, then what's the point of rules?

Latest posts

Back