Stratstone 7

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Moore K-80

Well, shot the stratstone 7 today. WOW!!!!!! When you stand and watch someone shooting it, it doesn't look too serious but when you come to shoot it, christ is it hard! I managed a 17 on my first attempt (and i didn't see one bird until it was gone, only got a quick shot but it was gone), i feel a prat now as on the second go i shot a few birds and dropped some and then started experimenting and shot a 9!!! What i didn't realise is that when scores are tied they use the accumalative total of the two rounds to sort the places so i am now bottom of the 17's and could have done better with a little concentration! We had a great day in great company and we all enjoyed it even though we were very demoralised by the end of it! Had 3 rounds but never improved (shot a 12, 13, 14 and a 15). If you have not shot this yet it is a real eye opener! How the bloody hell George Digweed straighted this is beyond me? I shot the 50 sporting really badly and should have shot 48+ as it's a nice steady round but your thoughts are not with it and your whole focus is on the tower. It was the first time out with my new gun so i guess it's going to take a shoot or two to get used to it. The trouble is that even if 17 does qualify (and i don't think it will) i know deep down there is not a 23 there for me!

Last edited:
Yep - excellent shooting for the 17.... I was ovrer the moon with my first 12 and then ended up with a 9! rubbish...

Will have another go. 

Hope to have a proper crack at this Tuesday, just hope weathers a bit less mental than last time!

I am having a bash on Saturday.  Going to be a baptism of fire as I am pretty pants on driven.  Anyone got any tips?  I assume tight chokes and plenty of lead?

Steve - you'll love it, best fun with a gun in ages... and you won't be the worst!

Si - plenty of leeeeed - nothing a half choked 8 cannot break... but line as important as leeeed - some crazy assed birds up there!

Si - plenty of leeeeed - nothing a half choked 8 cannot break... but line as important as leeeed - some crazy assed birds up there!
Thanks Matt - there was me thinking I would have to break out the extra full and the binoculars and invest in some 5 shot.  I think my approach will be pray and spray hoping to not be dead last on the leaderboard.

Amazingly, 9 shot is banned on this shoot. WTF? Presumably it's to reduce the probability of hitting a zero!

Amazingly, 9 shot is banned on this shoot. WTF? Presumably it's to reduce the probability of hitting a zero!
Ahhah - I have worked it out - they must all be mini clays and the tower is only 50ft tall.  I will go with the approach of shooting threads and no leeed.  I will let you know how I get on.

I think of it this way - how high is the tower? Lets say at max... 150ft from the shooting point - thats 50 yard, or something. 

If you shot a 50 yard crosser, you'd give it a load of leed.... so why does the brain look up and think that 50 yards is somehow further away? (my guess, is lack of reference point)

Now - the line and sight picture of these tower birds is different for sure, but the distance isn't the only issue here. I just wish I could conquer those issues... :)

Hey ho - back on Thursday for another go. 

Back