Ported chokes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidney

This is pretty damn lazy of me but just to save me trawling through current Issf rules... As of a few years ago I thought it was only OT that didn't allow the use of ported chokes in the fast trap disciplines.Anyone know the current situation regarding them for OT UT and ABT. I can't remember for the life of me, and just havnt got the time or inclination to go wading through paperwork!

If I remember it right you can have ported barrels but not ported chokes.

Yep that sounds familiar... All coming back to me now... But was it only factory ported barrels allowed and not aftermarket, or have I just dreamt that with the aid of this lovely big tumbler of Jura.

This might have changed again guys, Kostelecky and Giovanni Cernograz (Apologies for spelling) both used ported chokes last year. 2012-2013 season. Giovanni won his gold medal in London with a Gemini ported choke.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That's pretty much what got me asking.... Watching a random Issf video last night and saw a ported choke in a bottom barrel. Can't remember who when or where.

This might have changed again guys, Kostelecky and Giovanni Cernograz (Apologies for spelling) both used ported chokes last year. 2012-2013 season. Giovanni won his gold medal in London with a Gemini ported choke.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
OMG....just looked at the video and 'he did'........you know what that means then.....??

'WE NEED FRED'......!! (I cannot check the new rules as they download in a zip file and the iPad will not take that).

Yep where is 40up when you need him! I on the other hand can download the file, but can't be bothered, if I have to read through any more paperwork this year my head is going to pop! :)

Yes we need a call out to Fred he is the oracle on these matters.

Not sure if this is it but looked up other week for other reasons February 2013 edition

post-125-0-22774600-1388400085.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done that man. Xx.

(Note......Perazzi of course.....not Beretta :wink: ......just saying )

So it is obviously a noise thingy and if you are within 20 back or forward from the end of the muzzle you are OK. (Presume that they consider any longer porting to be noisier or more blast????)

Fred ....where are you??

Brilliant thanks perazzi. Out of interest what the current opinion on ported chokes, do they actually reduced felt recoil/muzzle flip or is it a load of fetid dingos kidneys?

I don't know sidney but with 24g could it really make much difference ?

I had some briley ported chokes and I could not tell any difference apart from the horrible mess between the barrels where the ports faced each other.

Ported barrels reduce muzzle flip.....true story..!

Why do I know.....?

Because I had an MX8 done for use with 36grms. Much better now......just saying..!

Keeps you on the 2nd shot better.....and so does the X pad.

The theory behind ported barrels with the ports facing upwards and not right at the end actually stands scrutiny.

The expanding gas takes the path of least resistance, with the wad still in the barrel the gas is forced upwards through the ports causing a force to push the barrels down just like a rocket.

Ported chokes have the ports 360 degrees so the forces cancel each other out, also the wad clears the chokes in no time, meaning the vast majority of gas finds it easier to escape forward rather than through the ports.

Muzzle brakes have a large surface for for the escaping gas to impinge on to counteract the recoil, these tend to be only effective on larger caliber higher pressure rounds used in big rifled guns.

So a ported choke is nether the same concept as a ported barrel or have the surface area high pressure load needed for a muzzle brake.

Having said that the recoil comes in 2 very quick pulses felt as one to the shooter. The first to move the shot down the barrel then the second (which is nowhere near the same force) as the gas escapes the barrel. I am sure because some of the gas escapes sideways for a nano second and if you used some kind of very sensitive test equipment you could prove ported chokes reduce the second recoil pulse by 0.0000001% or something but I certainly could not tell the difference at my shoulder.

Porting is allowed in OT which is surprising considering the aspect of muzzle blast and noise on the adjacent shooter but it isn't a popularity contest. I hold my breath when I see people use illegal fittings like side blinders in Olympic Games but once you are through Equipment Control you are in the clear. The skeet shooters who shear off the top hemisphere of their choke seem likely to have the best idea for muzzle flip. 

I have seen that in person with the half round extended choke type setup watching an OSK shooter. Any rules against that in OT? ......... Now where did I put my cutting disk.......

There does not exist any, as in ANY!, empirical evidence to support the contentions that ports actually do anything in a shotgun.

They had a fad status run here for a few years but that is pretty much past.  Personally I have never had a ported gun that did anything different than make more noise - well, actually, just a different noise.  The last one I had had the edm'd ProPorts Flyer pattern - the company generally noted as THE porting guys for handguns and rifles in the US.  So shotguns too.  Did nothing for me just like the other several guns I've had with ports including a 682 with factory ports.

You might consider that there is so little working pressure at the end of a shotgun barrel that there is not even enough to blow out the crud that accumulates in the ports.  And you think it's gonna hold the muzzle down?  Good luck on that.

But there are people who could not seemingly live without them.  

It's a funny old world, innit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen that in person with the half round extended choke type setup watching an OSK shooter. Any rules against that in OT? ......... Now where did I put my cutting disk.......
Go for it Sid, they have to be marked in situ else the horizontal cut would be out. Pattern a threeQuarter choke then cut it. No porting so can't be illegal. If it wrecks the pattern I'll buy you a new Briley.

Latest posts

Back