Sporting Masterclass 16/2

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Went down to Wallers Ash SG near Winchester for one of Phils Masterclasses today and thought I would share my thoughts and experience of the day.

For myself being a C class shooter the general advice before I went today was get your technique up to scratch then worry about the mental side of things, after doing the course I believe this was wrong. Granted the technical side of my game does need work (as highlighted by Carl Bloxham in the technical parts of the day) However, I feel the introduction to the mental side of my game will give me extra kills due to proper visualisation of what the target is doing and more importantly better focus and less tension whilst shooting the stand.

The day for me started with a technical session with Carl. We started on a pair of teal, not my favourite target at the moment, but we got some hit. Then on to a quartering l-r rabbit followed by a quartering l-r low blaze, both of them were dropping away but ever so subtly. Missing the first pair over the top highlighted a problem with reading line as well as forward allowance.

Then a swap round and Phil took us through some visualisation drills, "Shooting" 3 pairs of l-r riser followed by a l-r looping at the top of a bank with no cartridges in the gun. Then "shooting" 2 pairs standing in the cage with hands in pockets and going through your preshot routine in your head. Feels really wierd but there is method to the madness. Its all to do with visualising the target flight, where you want to break it and seeing it break. Then Phil explained his RAG routine (red, amber, green) which entails look at a couple of pairs then switch off from shooting clays until the guy before you is in the cage. Dont look at their first few pairs look down at the floor, visualise from memory how YOU will kill them take deep breaths and for the last pair look up to check the sight picture then step into the cage and nail them. (a very abreiviated version and just my take on it)

Pretty much the same after lunch but shooting some different targets and going into a little more depth on the mental side, bringing in some self talk to your preparations. Rather than think "dont hang on to it" think "attack" or "dont rush it" think "slow, smooth"

Directly after the course finished I was thinking how much did I find benificial today and my answer was a little but not much, but, and a big but, the more I think about the drills and techniques presented today the more I I feel I can apply them to the way I shoot and the more targets I believe it will get me.

Would I look into the mental side more in the near future? Probably not, but I feel I have a better understanding of the mental process of shooting clays and a pre-shot routine that I can work with. Couple that with my ongoing work on technique and I can hopefully get far enough up the classes to call on Phil again.

The course did exactly what it said on the tin. An introductory masterclass, not going too deep as to baffle you with science but enough to incorporate into your shooting and realise why you are doing it.

Fuz

Well Fuz,

This is somthing i keep telling myself to go and do,

And ive just down loaded Phill's free booklet on this web page,that talks about the traffic light method.

This can only mean one way now for you, up to B class.

Regards ASE 90.

Thats the plan ASE :D This course will never make you a world champ overnight, but I firmly believe it will pick you up a few clays whatever your class. How many silly misses have you had through lack of concentration or poor preparation?(rhetorical, not aimed at ase ;) ) Could be the difference between cash in class and not :angry: or going up a class or not double :angry:

Thanks Andy - a very honest review, you can`t beat that kind of feedback.

Through this year we will have other intro days. Then for those that have been on a day, we have a number of advanced days, which are purely technical and in smaller groups, so more intense. I also will be running pure sports psych days for those who are at the level and ready for it.

I will keep you posted on the technical days, I think we have one for the 5th April at Ian Coley`s with Carl - it will be limited to just 6 people and a full technical day.

Good report Fuzzy.

Attack it........now where have I heard that before :)????

I shouldnt have heard it before as I am trying to create a bubble without distractions from outside the cage :p Works though :kiss: along with "Die Ba***rd" :lol: :.:

Yes Rob, some of us have been teaching it for years, and some of us researching it for years too. Looking forward to you making one of the great days, or maybe you will be at the Shooting Show, always keen to speak with all instructors with forward vision on the whole training and coaching debate.

Yeap.....me too, coaching, researching and competing with it for years.

Used to pull papers of the Internet from various other sports and grade them out of 10 as to which would then translate well for shooting.

Glad that it is coming out more here in the UK.

Henry Hopking was I think one of the first trail blazers in the UK. He worked with several top shots including our dear old Ed.

Lesley Goddard has also worked her magic with various people including the Q8 team where they have just got 2 quotas.

It is all good stuff.

Give me more more more.........thirsty for it :)))))

Last edited:
Yeah I still find it fascinating to this day as it really does make a difference. I love teaching it. When you connect with a pupil that wants to be taught it, the feeling is great and to be honest, so is the shooting.

If I'm honest I find it a little annoying when people tell me they want to be a top shot but can't be bothered about the psychology sh** as they like to call it. They just want to shoot and shoot.

We all know that that can get you to that plateaux of around 80 after around five years or so with lots of practice but without some form of it you wont get much further.

Yeah Phil, I really wanted to come for chat but I was booked in advance all day by shooting gentry which is always nice of course. :D But I may be able to get up to Dads as I would love to see the ground as well. I'll stay in touch. ;)

Rob give me a call when you are about, it would be great to see you up there. We are doing some more developments at the ground and will be creating a Sports Science Centre of Excellence at the ground and a Coach Academy (purely on the mental side for coaches).

Yeap.....me too, coaching, researching and competing with it for years.

Used to pull papers of the Internet from various other sports and grade them out of 10 as to which would then translate well for shooting.

Glad that it is coming out more here in the UK.

Henry Hopking was I think one of the first trail blazers in the UK. He worked with several top shots including our dear old Ed.

Lesley Goddard has also worked her magic with various people including the Q8 team where they have just got 2 quotas.

It is all good stuff.

Give me more more more.........thirsty for it :)))))
Interestingly it was me that was the trail blazer back in the late 80`s and early 90`s, I even worked with Lesley on the OT training team. My regular column in Sporting Gun, plus my three books and two video`s (I cringe when I see the original video`s - luckily it was never in BetaMax, but was very close to it - ha ha).

It is a great subject and at the top level the whole heart rate,psycho-physiological elements I have been conducting for many years now, my research was the first ever into the mind responses using body responses - so I like to think of myself as ground breaking.

I can only think my boyish good looks, make many think I have been in the industry for a lesser time ha ha.

Ground breaking hey ?

My drive needs digging up and replacing Phil, are you interested .? :D ;)

Sorry Phil, you'll get use to my sense of humour unless your use to it on Shootinguk already. :D

I'll try and give you a call a day or two before I come up.

Better P.M me your Mobile number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back