Eleys Olympics

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonz

Anyone else had any issues with Olympics recently? I have had a few were the wad is left in the barrel - A very soft phut sound makes you think something's wrong but the danger of putting another shell in without checking is very scary...

Looking at the remaining shells the crimp seems to be sunken rather than level

Attached photo shows a  normal and what I think will be another one where the wad gets stuck in the barrel

Any thoughts any one

Thanks

Jonz

post-610-0-58948800-1388142502.jpg

Attachments

• 20131208_151331.jpg
    20131208_151331.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0
Same as Jem. No issues as yet myself, but have heard of a few.

I know someone is/was have issues with misfires.

Sounds like a dodgy batch that's all have had problems over the years with  all manufacturers but considering the sheer amount of shells they produce there is always a chance of the odd few slipping through the net just return them to the place of purchase and I am sure they will exchange them. :nyam:

All cartridge companies have manufacturing problem somewhere along the line....it is quite normal with anything involving manufacturing, machines and workforce. Put a new man on a new machine and you could have problems ....or an old man who has been doing it for years and who has a funny do and does not notice something going off.

This is simple human or machine error. No one as of yet has achieved 'a perfect trouble free manufacturing plant' although some are close to it.

It is back to the age old sausage .....'know what you are doing if you have a gun in your hands'...always check barrels if there is an unusual feel or sound. I check mine on every shot when reloading....always have done. One should shoot with the ears just as much as with the eyes......just saying...!!

If the crimp is sunken, that suggests there was more room inside..which suggests perhaps insufficient propellant...wad sitting lower, shot sitting lower..crimp goes lower.

Get your knife out and have a look (be careful, knives should be sharp) ;)

Saw two Olympics today taken out a fresh box that had two already fired primers in them!

And a guy I was with the other week had a was jam on him.

Quality!

I think the problem with budget loads from any mfr is quality control and consistency of the product, if more time was spent ensuring each batch was the same it would no longer be in the budget area. You get what you pay for as they say.

This reminds me of a similar issue I had with Fiocchi Top One Fibre wad shells. It shows it happens to all top manufactures at sometime or other. It would seem that considerably less propellant was loaded during the filling process than was required therefore not giving enough pressure to force wad out of barrel.

Link below for info:

The solution is easy ! GAMEBORE !! ..... :)
have to agree! used to shoot Eley olympics but far to many hard primers and what is that yellow crap they leave on the gun? switched to Gamebore never had a miss fire and never looked back the only unfortunate thing is I have a few thousand Eleys left! and just ran out of Gamebore!

I can run faster then a Eley cartridge !! :) ... Take the hit and sell the Eleys cheap ! Invest the money in white/black gold ....

I can run faster then a Eley cartridge !! :) ... Take the hit and sell the Eleys cheap ! Invest the money in white/black gold ....

to be honest i'll just use them up in my spare gun while mines away for alterations double excuse then!!!

Have to say that I have never had a problem with eley, started with firsts and have used superb for 2 years now with no misfires, quality issues etc. I will continue to use superb until eley give me reason to switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just do not know what is going on at Eley at the moment.

This past week I have had a lot of issues with Olympics, Primers that appear to have been struck, Primers with caps missing, bulged wads in the cases not allowing cartridge into chamber, holes in crimp allowing shot to leak out, boxes sealed at top but not at bottom, take a box of 25 out of a slab and deposit cartridges onto floor. Mentioned it to my retailer who said he is having massive problems with Eley Firsts , has contacted Eley but they don't seem too bothered. I am currently collecting all my duff ones and will be taking them back to Eley. 

I pay £168 per thousand but currently with the failures it will be equating to about about £210 per thousand that actually work.

Could how the cartridges are stored be affecting performance? Obviousy will not affect a prestruck primer - but a stuck wad could be due to damp propellant. I store my cartridges in very cool dry conditions, and some people even put their carts by the radiator for a day to dry out.

I always store mine in the house so no issue of damp or cold. I've used eleys for several years now and shot over 20 thousand

of them with just 1 or 2 per 10000 being duff but I now have 30+ from one 250 slab that don't look as if they are loaded correctly.

Eley are yet to reply to a mail I sent them, but I will be looking elsewhere when its time to re stock

Jonz

Precision scales which measure weights to an accuracy of 0.01g or even 0.001g are relatively cheap on eBay. Would be interesting taking a box of 25 and weighing each cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back