Guns with adjustable combs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Lots of people now have a trap gun with an adjustable comb so I ask the question what is the consensus as regards these guns pro or con ? I sort of like the idea it lets you set your own site picture. I like the idea of being able to set the target a bit higher above the rib. It also can give the gun more versatility in terms of use for other disciplines... not that I actually shoot anything other than trap but some others may. 

Oh don't get les and i started on this. :)

Over to you les me old mate :)

He is now French mate he doesn't know any different :)

Sorry !  I mite get it rite nekst thyme :)

never mind the spelling faux pas... what about the adjustable combed guns good bad?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bon Bons pour la fenetre sans chiens?

Adjustable stocks - good on try guns, bad on best guns.  :biggrin:

I have got one...good for girlies and anyone who is not 'normal'

need to not keep playing with them though....

Lots of people now have a trap gun with an adjustable comb so I ask the question what is the consensus as regards these guns pro or con ? I sort of like the idea it lets you set your own site picture. I like the idea of being able to set the target a bit higher above the rib. It also can give the gun more versatility in terms of use for other disciplines... not that I actually shoot anything other than trap but some others may. 
I like them but then I long ago sussed their main function was getting your ideal sight picture not dialling in POI changes. 

Their other attributes include adding weight to the stock, minor cast adjustments and the flexibility of being able to add after market soft comb options. If you want the ultimate recoil reduction gadgets, you need an independently sliding comb too.

I like them but then I long ago sussed their main function was getting your ideal sight picture not dialling in POI changes. .
hammy is bang on with this, that is exactly how I used to set up adj combs when I had them.

Adjustable combs are not for adjusting sight picture!!  They are for adjusting point of impact and the sight picture is whatever it is when the POI is where the shooter wants it to be.

If you are using some "standard" sight picture to set the comb height then you likely have no idea where the gun is really shooting or rather the gun is shooting where IT wants to shoot determined by rib height and angle to the bore centerline and you better like it.  Put it on the plate and decided from that where you are and what you need to do.  I use the skeet low7 to check that I'm OK.  If you're not smoking that target (no matter what the choke) then you prolly need more help than you can give yourself.

I was going to say JMO, but actually it's not since the comb stuff is all simple geometry it falls over into just fact.

Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
oofft fight !

Sorry Wonko when I used the term sight picture I meant exactly that! I mean if I had my gun set exactly flat I would have a very poor sight picture, I would not be able to see the target when shooting it! I know my gun is shooting high but that is bye the bye, I set the comb to give me a really good view, or sight picture, when shooting the target some may not like it but it is a preference thing. I was using my brothers sporter for a while and I had a very poor site picture... I could not see what I was shooting when taking the shot. Some may actually like this I did not.

I'm guessing Low 7 is not much more than 15 yards away when most people smack it, quarter choke would smoke that whether the gun shoots plus or minus 3 inches at real world ranges like 30 yards; not good practice - JMO.

Good point hammy.

I discovered many years ago that a couple of mm up or down on the comb makes begger all difference in reality as your cheek pressure am therefore sight picture alters once the gun is moving, it shouldn't but the reality imo is that it does so i would set the comb until it was a comfy fit and then after a few k you adapt naturally to were it shoots. Play the poi game as much as you like but imo its a slippery slope te madness. If anyone thinks there sight picture remains the same check the rib before the shot then after unless you ram the cheek down and therefore cause tension that you don't want it will not be the same so mm here mm there is not as critical as one thinks.

Just my opinion.

They are great if you happen to be a weird shape, myself included. On a sporter I need a near montecarlo stock to be happy with what I see. POI is what smokes them :huh:when your happy with your sight picture. Sorry for any spelling mistakes I am heavily imbibed...hic.

chicken curry no worry

With 24gm loads my guns, 5/10, 9/10 both, have about a 6" pattern ( maybe smaller but I don't really want to know) at low7 distance which is about half way to center so more like 10 than 15.  And I know where the gun shoots I just like to see it hahaha

"not be the same so mm here mm there is not as critical as one thinks."    I would guess that mm here or there would for me be the difference between miss/broken/smoke.  I try not to let the gunmount be a POI variable, but that could just be me.  On the gun that I used to get my initial measurements one 1/16" washer under the comb was the broken/smoke difference.

I certainly have no interest in arguing about anything - I was just looking to add a constructive comment.  Mea culpa    It does seem to me tho that some people have some strange notions bio-mechanics and geometry.  Over here there seem to be a good number of shooters that studied physics at Hogwarts.  Perhaps the emphasis in GB at that unversity is directed slightly differently.

Charlie

Latest posts

Back