Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jaykaysea

21 / 22 December....shooting not shopping....

Will Hewland

Do you think they use following pairs as they are short of traps or they like the idea

I remember when we started we bought 20 traps , ten stands , no pool shoot , no breakdown backup , hell it makes me cringe now when I think back but for 6 years we put everything back into the grounds and purchasing kit and will continue to do so , can't do it properly by taking everything out and running as a second rate outfit , well I can't anyway !!'

They are emerging from being a good 'old school' shoot. Much has improved since Ian Paynes day, but more to come. They seem to care though. Hope it improves further.

Lee Roberts

If a new ground was to open in Calne / Marlborough area, would there be the support Of the shooters ? of course would be run opposite end of month of gun site as Shaun doing a fantastic job 2nd week end of month, Just interested on views ??:) There is a reason to all response ...

Will Hewland

If a new ground was to open in Calne / Marlborough area, would there be the support

Of the shooters ?

of course would be run opposite end of month of gun site as Shaun doing a fantastic job 2nd week end of month,

Just interested on views ??:)

There is a reason to all response ...

I think if you build it, they will come. Especially in the S west! As you say, I makes sense not to clash with other good shoots though.. Marlborough area must have a good catchment for travelling from Oxford and Berkshire also.

Lee Roberts
If a new ground was to open in Calne / Marlborough area, would there be the support Of the shooters ? of course would be run opposite end of month of gun site as Shaun doing a fantastic job 2nd week end of month, Just interested on views ??:) There is a reason to all response ... I think if you build it, they will come. Especially in the S west! As you say, I makes sense not to clash with other good shoots though.. Marlborough area must have a good catchment for travelling from Oxford and Berkshire also.
Thank you for your view Will, There's always in every month around the 3rd week lack of CPSA reg shoots, local it seems some weeks 3 or 4 at once then always that gap of no one on, unless practice, so I've a place and hopefully can fill this every month gap.... it wouldn't start until July but very much on the forecast ....

Jaykaysea

I'd come along and give it a go Lee...good luck would imagine it's not as easy as it sounds to get set up...

We desperately need a new ground here in Devon! We have one not far away in Cornwall but the tight arsed Cornish ALL go birds only so there is nothing to shoot for. Newnham was a massive loss for us down here as it was not too far to go and always put on a very good shoot, it had a very good following and i am sure a ground ran properly here would do well.

Couldn't agree more Ian!  :biggrin:

Calne/Marlborough is more like South Central rather that Westcountry to us this way. Still a great trek to get to and plenty of other shoots in the vicinity (you lucky B*****ds!)

Devon/Cornwall is relatively like a desert for shooting grounds of a good standard. Plenty of straw balers in the summer, just nothing worth shooting NOW! (Which is probably why you and I don't get out like we used to!)

clayclouter

Well when they have it right,or can put on a full course of birds,perhaps I'd go back. Pay your money take your choice. I'm not going to shoot a round of s h i t just to support a new ground. I get to shoot once a week,I want to enjoy it.

I dont think that one could reasonably call the two courses put on so far as "sh*t" as you put it, Some things need to improve certainly. The point I was making is that if any of us have issues then feeding them back to Adam and his team at Valley View would be far more constructive and positive, than just dismissing their efforts because they dont meet the standards of well established ground owners such as Steve Lovatt.  Who himself readily admits he made mistakes when he first started.

Aspire

Having 3 stands of trailing pairs is sh*t. It ruins the whole course for me. Plus a lot of the stands were very samey. They're newly registered,but not a new ground...how long does it take? The ground has great potential but they need to make an effort. You can't have big groups,scoring their own cards,out on jollies,mixed with serious reg shooters...well,you can,but don't expect it to be successful. AND charge MORE than far superior grounds with far superior targets and no big crowds bumbling around sharing a side by side. Everyone has a choice to spend their money where they like. Until things change,I choose not to spend mine there :) I really hope they do improve,like I said,it has great potential.

Macc Ladd

I believe by a good margin. It wasn't THAT easy.. I think the top scores were

Chris Childerhouse (AA) 95

Moi (A) 94

Keith Tarren and Phil Easemen (both AA) 91

Everybody else: Fewer.

thats even better then Will!! " 1 behind Chris childerhouse" that's good shooting mate

Will Hewland

thats even better then Will!! " 1 behind Chris childerhouse" that's good shooting mate

Ta! As has been said before, even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. :)

Macc Ladd

If a new ground was to open in Calne / Marlborough area, would there be the supportOf the shooters ? of course would be run opposite end of month of gun site as Shaun doing a fantastic job 2nd week end of month, Just interested on views ??:) There is a reason to all response ...

great to have another ground down that end. I was a good supporter of wylye!! Get it on

RobertBeard

Why is it that everyone from Greater London thinks that the west starts when you leave Berkshire and Surrey - its crazy!

The Westcountry comprises everything west of a line between Bristol and Bournemouth or perhaps Southampton in the extreme!

Counties are Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset and a bit of Wiltshire but Wiltshire is pretty Central really.

Will Hewland

But the accents start to get funny at around Swindon.. :)

But the accents start to get funny at around Swindon.. :)

Yes, but everyone east of Basingstoke try to sound like "Cock-a-neeys"  :biggrin:

RobertBeard

But accents tend to get funny north, south, east or west of where anyone lives! :P

Steve Lovatt

Hi Ian and Robert I can't remember if you both came to the ground I used to do at Pilton called tor view , it was the best terrain ever for a shooting ground it had everything apart from a good consistent flow of customers we had a steady 85 ish every shoot but that was it and certainly not enough to make it a viable commercial proposition

I must say I spent 6 years of my farming life on this farm and can honestly say the local people are the most genuine , friendliest people I have ever met and I still miss the area now !!!

Steve

philmoss

They done the same at the first shoot. We shot it after the last Westfield 120. They charged us £40 because they had ran out of change. No we didn't like it,no we won't be going back.

£40 !!!!!!!!!!!!! ..............How many stands ??, Pool shoot ??, Catering facilities ??

GlawsterCodger

Ta! As has been said before, even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut. :)

Heard that phrase from the shooter that tied with CC at Westfield Sunday, hmmm must remember to buy some Topics

Will Hewland

£40 !!!!!!!!!!!!! ..............How many stands ??, Pool shoot ??, Catering facilities ??

To answer your questions Phil, 11, no and very nice local sausages.

I will continue to press the owner to get this shoot right if I can because it has such potential.

philmoss

I will continue to press the owner to get this shoot right if I can because it has such potential.

Birds only was £??

clayclouter

Absolutely, at least if you are not happy let the guy know what he is doing wrong then if he doesnt respond in a reasonable timescale vote with  your feet.

Will Hewland

£35.

He needs to be £32 BO and £37 comp. He needs to stop so many trailing pairs. He needs to go and see a different ground operate. Nice guy, but he doesn't shoot and hasn't been anywhere else. Some finding of the feet to come hopefully.. But lets wish him luck at this early stage I say, because it is a great bit of land.

philmoss

£35.

He needs to be £32 BO and £37 comp. He needs to stop so many trailing pairs. He needs to go and see a different ground operate. Nice guy, but he doesn't shoot and hasn't been anywhere else. Some finding of the feet to come hopefully.. But lets wish him luck at this early stage I say, because it is a great bit of land.

Shot there a few times when Agony had it inc the Bucks sporting championship at least 10 years ago...... still used manual traps then...... there is enough  AA sporting shooters local to offer advise & assistance BUT if the guy doesnt want help then thats his call

Your thoughts on entry costs are exactly the same at BH, 12 stands & 5 stand sportrap pool shoot, reduced competition entry for colts or "FREE" practise when shooting with a paying adult. 

Our next shoot is Monday 30th December, 100 ESP Reg  :nyam:  :nyam:

Hotshot100

Average price for 100 registered in Kent is £26 birds only for skeet and £32 for sporting. People just won't pay any more.

I think that last time I shot at Coniston it was £38 birds only. Great ground and targets but very few of the locals shoot there due to the prices.