British Open Sporting 2011

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure about our forum members - but I know Ben Husthwaite and JJ Lee are now leading the event on 111 - still some top shots down to start Digweed, Papworth, Bloxham, Broomfield, Marshall etc, not sure who is today or tomorrow - be interesting to see if anyone can get closer to 120 given that conditions will deteriorate through the weekend. But there are 9 shots out there... so anything is possible - lots of good shooters to come!I'm supporting Ed now... he's 'one of us'

What I find surprising is that GD hasn't won it since 2000. I don't know if he entered every year however - years not mentioned below he was out of the top 3 or didn't shoot.1995 - 1st1996 - 3rd1998 - 2nd2000 - 1st2004 - 3rd2005 - 2nd2008 - 3rd2010 - 3rd

Good luck to all that are shooting it :)I see Amber Hill is shooting it and is capable of putting in big scores, awesome for a 14 year old!!Jon.

Flipping heck, looking at the scores i'm guessing it's VERY testing and there will be top shooters out for the next couple of days and some awesome scores shot today :)Good luck to everyone still to shoot!Jon.

Shot this today on squad 77. Very good technical shoot, good mix of distance, speed and angles but they had got their timings out which resulted in delays in starting. I did not do this shoot justice and had 3 stands with 5 away and could only manage to straighten stands 5 and 7 to finish on a decidedly medieoce 84 x 120 (70%).One amusing thing is that when you arrive & register at the CPSA tent you get your lapel badge, a bottle of water, apple & banana even a lollypop if you want one AND a shooter number to pin to the back of your skeet vest! So everyone is milling around pinning numbers on their backs or their mates backs, the air punctuated by little yelps as safety pins find flesh. Then the quicker witted realise that there is no record of the number to the person!!!! Honestly the number they issue you means absolutly nothing, zero, zilch other than the order in which you went through the booking tent. You couldn't make it up.

What....... No master score card on each stand where the score is marked against the back number????????

Quote from Nicola on September 3, 2011, 08:38What....... No master score card on each stand where the score is marked against the back number????????
Nope, just a meaningless number pinned on your back and, unless I missed something, only a squad card with all six shooters "cards" on which the squad carried from stand to stand. I am 99% sure the referee didn't keep a true master card but personally I didn't think it was much of an issue from an opportunity to cheat perspective (would have I suppose required the collusion of the majority of the squad to alter the card in-between stands). Would have been very embarrassing though if a squad card had gone missing with only a couple of stands to go, for example a gust of wind blows it away! Anyway to date, as far as I am aware, there has not been an issue with any of the above well other than the cost of printing 1000 waterproof squad cards and 2000 safety pins which was an utter waste. The shoot ran like clockwork as is the norm at Hodnet with one exception. They had underestimated the time required for an average squad of 6 to shoot 4 pairs on each of 15 stands. We were due to start on the second rotation at 11:00 on stand 2 and were instructed to be ready on the stand no later than 10:45, this we did and at 11 o'clock the squad shooting (from the 09:00 start) had a further 5 stands to shoot before finishing. We started I suppose about 11:15 and finished just short of 3 hours later, speaking to others who started later the delay was in starting, once you got going it wasn't too bad, never more than one squad delay when we arrived at a stand.If this makes it sound like a big issue, it wasn't honestly other than the delayed start the shoot did seem to flow and I was in a friendly squad, the weather was dry but breezy and other than my score a very enjoyable day.Mr Potter

Yea but those numbers will still be adorning many a skeet vest months from now, along with an upside down pair of Oakleys atop a baseball cap........................and of course a little towel hanging casually from thy hip :) .

Quote from Hamster on September 3, 2011, 10:15Yea but those numbers will still be adorning many a skeet vest months from now, along with an upside down pair of Oakleys atop a baseball cap........................and of course a little towel hanging casually from thy hip :) .
To be honest Hamster the very same thought crossed through my mind, not to leave it on but that there will be plenty that do :D Some just leave the pins in with the tiniest scraps of paper, less overt but just enough to let the hoi poli know they shoot in competitions were one has to pin numbers on one's back!!Mr Potter No pins, no Oakleys, admit to baseball cap and bar towel (but not dangling from hip)Edit - spelling

George wins with 117/120 with four tied and shooting off at 111! Congratulations george on finishing your clay shooting season with such a big win!The Lone Canadian,Henry

I just spoke to George - and will have the first interview after his win online shortly....

This must be one of the biggest margin wins of a major for a long time?? Incredible score, what could he do with Olympic double trap?

As the winner of the last couple of Worlds Best All Rounder I'd say if George set his mind to shootin double trap as he does in Sporting there would only be one result
acigar.gif
Nige

Latest posts

Back