fast or slow

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

I am interested for purposes of research in anyone that has changed or tried to change there natural style from composing and focusing before or during the gun mount and calling for target very soon after the mount to mounting the gun fully then composing and focusing before calling for target. Any input such as tried it and boy did it make a difference or tried it could not hit a barn door or tried it it and it worked but took 6 months to perfect, that is the kind of info I am looking for.

Alberto Fernandez is the man you want - he WAS European and World Champion before they slimmed him down for the Olympics.

He has really slowed down hasnt he, probbaly the one trap shooter of any standing that has a comparable style to me. I suspect that he had consisitency issues and either decided to or was coached to slow down. This is partly the reason for the post however I doubt he is a forum member :)

see pm

On the subject of slimming down - why are shotguns all the same weight whether you are Chaplow, Digweed or 8 stone.

Good point and as a fellow 8 stoner I agree :)

Ips, I'm not a Trap shooter as you know, but I have watched a lot of Trap Shooters in action, and I mean really watched them to try and work out what they are doing.

There's one thing I'd like to put to you. Those that mount and call almost as one movement (as I believe you do) seem to be most effected by a late pull or an off-line target to the point of missing when this occurs, and also seem to take longer to settle and focus again. Those that mount, focus and call, seem to cope better with any slight deviation to what they are expecting, resulting in less misses. This might only happen once in a round, but it could be one less target away.

Clearly I'm no expert on this and it's just my casual observation. I might be reading them wrong, but that's how it seems to me. :biggrin:

Topdog

that my friend is an excelent observation you are correct that is my style and you are also correct regarding being effected by late pulls in fact funny you should say that because 40up who as you know is a very very experienced and knowledgable ot shooter eluded to that very same thing. My dilema is that I have become obsessed with thinking its the only way I can shoot but lately I have a analised things and now think that maybe I occasionaly shoot very well in spite of not because of my instinctive style, I am now seriously considering training myself over winter to shoot in a more relaxed style, I tried it in comp on Sunday as I didnt feel fully tuned in at it seemed to be easier than I thought it would be, so lots of work to do.

Ps

if I could click a "like a very very lot" button I would but we only get a bog standard "like" :)

I shoot better when i am fat.....just saying....

Topdog

that my friend is an excelent observation you are correct that is my style and you are also correct regarding being effected by late pulls in fact funny you should say that because 40up who as you know is a very very experienced and knowledgable ot shooter eluded to that very same thing. My dilema is that I have become obsessed with thinking its the only way I can shoot but lately I have a analised things and now think that maybe I occasionaly shoot very well in spite of not because of my instinctive style, I am now seriously considering training myself over winter to shoot in a more relaxed style, I tried it in comp on Sunday as I didnt feel fully tuned in at it seemed to be easier than I thought it would be, so lots of work to do.
Old dogs can be taught new tricks! So can old warhorses!!!  :biggrin:

Try it when it doesn't matter and let us know if it works for you.

Topdog

Ian, you need to use spellcheck - or keep your personal life to yourself...  :haha:

IPS - I believe both Emma Wheeldon & Curtis Woolley have done this for DTL (but not fast trap). I don't think either of them are on here but if you are interested I could put one of them in touch with you?

IPS - I believe both Emma Wheeldon & Curtis Woolley have done this for DTL (but not fast trap). I don't think either of them are on here but if you are interested I could put one of them in touch with you?
I know of them but dont know either personaly, dont remember emmas style to be honest.

I'll see Curtis this weekend - I'll have a chin wag see if he can be of any use :) He's a cheeky little sod but very passionate and incredibly helpful to others. He will also tell me straight if I have got this wrapped round my neck!!!! :D

Ref Emma and Curtis

They both follow their own different but individual set up every time not identical time wise

I am quite new to trap shooting but I take a long time for my shot. I mount my gun take up my hold point and visual pick up point if shooting OT, UT or ABT and then usually about two or three seconds before I call the target. I like this way it is disciplined and reproducible, I think, but not a very popular style because I take the full ten seconds to take my shot. I know many people where I shoot don't like me taking so long....... tough! I like the way Derek Burnett shoots and this is similar to his style... results? Alas entirely different :) So in summary sloooow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back