Shooting Sports Etiquette?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_B

So what do you think is acceptable in and around a cage in a clay shooting comp? The more I see and experience in Sporting Clays, the more disappointed I become. Personally it doesn't usually bother me, but after after having experienced a few severe instances today and having seen a post of Ronnie Green (RPG) today with plenty of noise in the background, I would like to ask the forum for your opinion on just what is and isn't acceptable?

BTW heres a very loose and brief online dictionary definition below

Sports Etiquette?- Good sports etiquette means that you play with manners. You respect the team that wins and loses.

I know you mean about this. I started shooting this year with sonic ear plugs, and the amount of chat, fluffy rabbits I hear when people are shooting is surprising, it does put me off sometimes. I am thinking about going back to solid plugs to zone out background noise, or in my case laughing!

I think it is important that we remember a lot of people shoot for the social side a fun day out and it should not be all silent but a certain level of respect should be shown by all taking part.

There are a few of us who are serouis and want to achieve our goals, I would say if you want to have a chat and a laugh move a respectable distance away from the cage.

Remember play nicely.

Currently shooting with plugs with filters, however some of the cr@p I heard today makes me think plugs are the way forwards.

I've gone from electronic cans where I used to hear everything to solid plugz.

Stone deaf now (well virtually) can just hear ref.

Much better but tbh wasn't that aware of noise behind.

I wear a cheap pair of peltor ear defenders for £17, never hear a thing from behind, it's a social sport, but noise does need to be at a reasonable level, but not silence. Someone always has to spoil it by being over loud.

Had some idiot 3 feet off my right shoulder suggest today that shooting with muller chokes was cheating, sadly intended for me mid stroke (so to speak) and heard, luckily shot 9/10 on that stand and replied with a rebuff of "all that with illegal chokes and 21g loads, your turn" sadly got on with my business and never did focus on what he managed to get.

I pretty much only shoot at 'straw balers' and it's quite often you get a group or two going around who are there for a laugh first, shooting second. can be annoying at times but i just get on with my shooting, would probably find it quite strange shooting in a comp with complete silence!

Had some idiot 3 feet off my right shoulder suggest today that shooting with muller chokes was cheating, sadly intended for me mid stroke (so to speak) and heard, luckily shot 9/10 on that stand and replied with a rebuff of "all that with illegal chokes and 21g loads, your turn" sadly got on with my business and never did focus on what he managed to get.
Shooting with muller chokes is cheating....heard it all now!

Shooting with muller chokes is cheating....heard it all now!
Wish I'd been there.
What a bellender.
Nice rebuff though.

Kentskeet said:
I'd say generally if it's someone you know shooting and you generally have a bit of a laugh and a joke then fair play... If its someone you don't know then show some respect by either keeping quiet or moving back out of ear shot so they can concentrate... It's just good manners really.
Also it is your prerogative to turn round and say shut the f**k up, but if you do make sure you hit some cos if you go on to blank it the comment 'what a tw*t' might be forth coming. :)

If you cant block the noise out choose the right ear plugs defenders,as some sproting shoots you attend may have a big queue waiting to shoot and a fair bit of murmuring going on. ;)

electronic ear muffs have won a big comp for me in the past because the person i was against got so wound up with things he could hear.Dont use them even if you turn them of when going on stand,one day you will forget.Some say that they want to hear the trap go but why?shoot what you see.Say hello and thanks to the ref even if he is wrong he is right,try to put carts in the bin,talk and have a laugh but dont shout when someone is in the cage.If you dont like folk talking in the back ground take up trap,people go a whole weakend without speaking there.

forgot to say you could always ask the ref to have a word.      

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not done many registered comps but the ones I have noticed that are noisy behind the the shooter are usually sporting comps, where a number of people are gathered behind to take there turn. That's where the chit chat and fluffy rabbits comes from . Clubs that host these comps should take a leaf out of golf and have a QUIET PLEASE sign :)

Now, you realise you may just have opened a can of worms!!

I think there is a general lack of etiquette at sporting events, one reason I avoid shooting the discipline. It is getting worse and its getting bad at majors as well, I stupidly did the BO at Hepworth Hall this year, the noise from the squads waiting to shoot was laughable. Yes I have heard the, "you should be able to block it out" argument but I would say, why should I have to block it out, why can't they shut the f**k up!!

Talking to someone mid flow, especially if you don't know them is well out of order, I may just have had to say something to him, just as he called for his second pair!!

Its not just talking anymore, handing scorecards in while the scorer is trying to, er score!! and push the right buttons for the person in the cage, are you seriously that f**king impatient taht you can't wait 2 minutes?

Bottom line, if you see something you don't like or think is not aceptable, politely ask them to shut the f**k up :biggrin:

We have a betting shop behind us at International Helice events...shouting the odds.

At ISSF events it has been known for them to sometimes clap between people taking the shots if they hit a cracker ....although it is not on....but you cannot help an enthusiastic new crowd of watchers...especially in some far flug countries.

The moral of the story is....lack of focus on the job in hand.

If you were fully focused you would not hear anything in the back ground.....if you are doing a great job then all will fall quiet in awe....but you should not be able to tell the difference.

Best way to get used to this is to get a pal to talk all the time to you when you are doing practice ...it teaches you to dig in and get on with it.

Look at what happened to Clever when i stood behind him saying 'get on with it w an ker' a few weeks back....he shot a great score :wink:

He even asked me to do it again when i saw him at Weston Wood on Sunday.....true story :wink:

Last edited:
You stood behind our mate mr clever and shouted abuse in his ear, and it worked ?

Dont fancy that training regime nicola :)

Latest posts

Back