pushing through.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoracer

I had a lesson today, and to be honest my dip since changing guns continues!

coming from rifle shooting years ago it makes me a lazy clay shooter I just can't naturally push through after taking my shot and it does my head in! any tips very much appreciated!

I had a lesson today, and to be honest my dip since changing guns continues!

coming from rifle shooting years ago it makes me a lazy clay shooter I just can't naturally push through after taking my shot and it does my head in! any tips very much appreciated!
Who was the lesson with?
To exaggerate follow through maybe count to two after the shot.
Bang one two with the gun still moving??
But I ain't no coach.

Ask your coach if a more lively handling gun with short barrel's might help to get you into the swing of thing's as well as a change of shooting method maybe

If you get taught a good technique it's doesn't matter what your background of shooting is. Get a coach that teaches you a method that works for you and your approach to shooting.

If you get taught a good technique it's doesn't matter what your background of shooting is. Get a coach that teaches you a method that works for you and your approach to shooting.
+1

Think outside the box a bit. Think Tennis, Golf or Cricket. The point at which the ball is struck is not the end of the swing, it's somewhere in the middle of the whole movement. Shooting is the same. The shot is taken part way through the swing and then you have the follow through........Just like in the sports mentioned above.

Try the Skeet that K80 said. It will make you smooooooooth!  :biggrin:

As above. You must get into the mindset that you will be pulling the trigger at around 70% of the way through your swing. ( this can change in time, but it s solid advice for beginners)

Imagine you are taking a photo of a fast passing car. If you don't keep moving, all you will get is a shot of the exhaust pipe if you are lucky..

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up your foot position beyond the kill point and your swing should follow.

That's what I do anyway and it seem to work for me.

cheers for the replies,  A bit of change will do me good so I might pop to sheerness and Shoot some Skeet nothing ventured nothing gained shooting Robin hood tomorrow so I'm going to try change my mind set and keep swinging through even if too much as it will come!

Evoracer,

If you are going to shoot some skeet to improve your follow through then i have only one tip.

Shoot singles only and really exaggerate your follow through - how i do this is to touch the opposite house with your gun after the shot. 

So you set up as you normally would and look to break the target at the right place but you then keep your head on the stock, watch the target break and keep the gun moving till it touches the opposite house (eg:- touch low house if you have just broken a high house target).

My "best guess" would be that if your not finishing the shot - then you are missing - but the stopping the gun is only a result or symptom of what your really doing wrong. So my tip is to keep your head on the stock of the gun and watch the target break into little bits and as a back up only, keep swinging till you touch the opposite house.

Internet virtual tips / coaching is not likely to solve this though - you need to find a good shooting coach and work with them in person.

well today I had a good day 45/70 close to taking the class so I was happy with that I felt more comfortable than I have for a while with the beretta mounting it high on my shoulder hopefully this will continue next week!!!

well today I had a good day 45/70 close to taking the class so I was happy with that I felt more comfortable than I have for a while with the beretta mounting it high on my shoulder hopefully this will continue next week!!!
There were a couple of bloody tough ones!  I only managed a 49 which is a bit under what I would expect.  I think I was still placing 3rd in B before I left...doubt I will take it though.

I did see a 692 in the rack...I guess that was yours ;)

Along with what the others have said, staying in the gun etc all good; If you are shooting gun up, that won't help an underdeveloped swing.  Try dropping the gun out of your shoulder, and gun movement will be the result.

When trying to get a good follow through as a newcomer ,I found that rather than counting one, two, three, after taking the shot , it was easier just to keep swinging until I saw the clay break . This is a more efficient way as it allows you to get to the second shot of a pair as quickly as possible while still finishing the first shot.

If you have a bad case stopping/slowing as he describes and had a lesson I would hope there will be training AND practice to do to fix things???

Latest posts

Back