Ive did some patterning !

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

I've did some pattering yesterday with the Perazzi using Briley series 2 flush 3/8 & 1/2 chokes,
31082011372.jpg
the first picture is of the 3/8 choke at 25 yards shooting at the clay,
31082011366.jpg
this is the second picture of the 1/2 choke shot at the clay over the top of the 3/8 choke at 25 yards, both shots were using Eley Olyimpics 7.5's
31082011375.jpg
Nige

Nicely done Nige :D , looks spot on to me as in the gun shoots straight.

cheers Hammy, what do you think of the 1st pattern ? would you say its a good pattern ? Nige

It's interesting how the 1st pic shows the gaps that could easily miss a whole clay especially on the right

yes it Toby, I didn't have enough pattern sheets to try 5/6 shots exactly the to see the difference, I will do some more in a couple of weeks and I'll post the results.Anyone else ever do any patterning - I'd like some advise Please on the whole thing in general ? Nige

Hi Nigel,There is an interesting article about choke sizing and patterning onthe BASC website, which states that during the research it was noted that the cartidges vary so much that over a batch of ten cartridges fired through the same choke you can get a variation of around 60% pellet density, i.E. one choke could give results that could cover IM up to super full!http://www.basc.org.uk/downloa.....0FACA574E4Andy

cheers Andy, it was interesting readin, I've found the best way for confidence is to find a shell that shoots well for you in your gun and stick to that, like it says cartridges can vary so much your better off not thinkin about them and concentrating on your shooting, two 1/2;s for me with Clever reds and get on with it, We only did this pattering for my sons new Guerini so he knew if it was shootin at the point of aim or high as the comb is about 2mm higher than his Blaser is, I think he's happy enough now but like me he tends to shoot high when he misses.
13.gif
Nige

I've never done this - but I find the subject really interesting. I met a well respected ballistics expert recently who has written a book about Shotgun shells and how they work. I'm trying to sweettalk him into doing some articles for the main site, I'll keep you all posted.

that would be good -- wouldn't be Isagay by any chance
kap.gif
Nige

Nice one Nige, I like the pattern that the 1/2 choke throws at 25 yards with Olympics. most interesting.

Yes I`d say that looks bang on what you`d expect a 3/8 to throw and the half doesn`t look too shabby either. The thing is despite all those gaps it`s only the edge on going aways that may well get through/missed at range. Under 35-40 yards the combo will not miss a crosser especially showing face. The reason some use much more choke is that it makes dialling in easier.

Well done Nige. It is very rare for Europeans to check patterns! I check patterns on all my choke/load combinations for nearly 30 years. I had the luck of visiting RC Cartridge this summer. They let me see everything and even do some pattern testing at a measure 35 yards. We then lab tested ten cartridges of each type that I patterned. They measured powder, load, humidity, barometric pressure, temperature, cartridge pressure, speed at 2.5M and at 10M. I can tell you this, the RC Red and Red Nickel pattern awesome and much better than your patterns with my 3/8 Muller at 35M compared to your 25 yard! BTW, I usualy do preliminary work at 25 yards and if satisfactory, I then do patterns at 40 yards using an on edge clay target. Your first pattern would let many on edge target through.The Lone Canadian,Henry

Here are my patterns at a measured 35 Meter at RC Cartridges using my Beretta DT10L and Muller 2 and 3 chokes;RC 4 Excelence 28 Gr 7.5 shot 2.4mm Muller 2 or about 3/8
_MG_1031.jpg
Same with the Muller 3 or about 1/2[img ]RC 4 Red Shot Black Comfort 28 Gr 7.5 shot 2.4mm Muller 2
_MG_1033.jpg
Same with Muller 3
_MG_1034.jpg
The real nice patterning and soft shooting RC Red Shot Supernik 28 Gr 7.5 shot 2.4mm Muller 2
_MG_1035.jpg
Same with Muller 3
_MG_1036.jpg
These were some of the best patterning European loads, ever!The Lone Canadian,Henry

Latest posts

Back