Mel Sykes in the Sunday Express today

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaykaysea

Good on her for getting us some publicity....we should all try and take someone new shooting off the back of it....

Ps I think we should focus on the positives not any of the negatives that would be so easy to come out with....bit scary who she is taking advice from if they couldn't manage to get her a left handed gun to practice with....doh...positive I said positive....

Good on her for getting us some publicity....we should all try and take someone new shooting off the back of it....

Ps I think we should focus on the positives not any of the negatives that would be so easy to come out with....bit scary who she is taking advice from if they couldn't manage to get her a left handed gun to practice with....doh...positive I said positive....
Couldn't get a left handed gun? Well if Zoli couldn't get one then she should change make or get a stock made for her.

It is only a passing phase with Melanie, so she will be okay with poor instruction, gunfit and advice. :haha:

It's not as though she is serious about the sport.

I'm sick about hearing about her and her ridiculous plans to make the Olympic team. Honestly, shooting has much more important (and urgent) topics to discuss.

I'm sick about hearing about her and her ridiculous plans to make the Olympic team. Honestly, shooting has much more important (and urgent) topics to discuss.
She may have trouble getting to the Olympics with a wrong handed gun!

I don't think we should be judging her dedication to clay shooting (how much she enjoys it), based on what a newspaper says or based on those who are "helping" her....they all have their own agendas.

Obviously she won't make the next Olympics, because she hasn't shot the required selection shoots...hopefully someone has told her this...regardless of her abilities.

None of this means that she doesn't truly enjoy smashing clays

as discussed previously, we all know she has no chance of getting to the olympics or commonwealth games however, if the publicity around her shooting brings more into the sport that can only be a good thing. I know there are plenty of people on here that would rather keep it a closed shop but personally I think encouraging more people into the sport is a great thing, just ignore the olympiccommonwealth stuff that she talks about.

Recently I have introduced my mother in law (who has been having lessons and is now thinking of applying for her cert) and my brother and nephew to shooting. When my boy is old enough, I will take him along too.

Boys boys...good on her for the free publicity for our great sport...let's use it as a conversation starter and all take someone new shooting who we think might like it....everyone I have ever taken has always loved it...

And I am still looking for someone to take on the role of favourite sponsor...guns cartridges coaching whatever!!

i feel the article will be forgotten by teatime.we need positive publicity of our sport and this has to start with us and our organisations (basc + cpsa) we have world champions and gold medal winners in our midst and yet shooting is still considered one of the dark arts by a lot of people.the stratstone challenge proves this a competition with a prize pool like this in any other sport would have made the nationals and the tv. any change in public perception of shooting has to start from within.perhaps you could get zoli to sponsor you well unless your left handed that is..

Why don't you just let her get on with it! The same as everyone else. If you read this post Mel my number is 07799 xxxxxx

Any publicity if it is positive should be used in a positive way, if Mel does get into the sport and she does the same route as everyone else and excels then great, I am also hoping to see an interview with her in the shooting titles too, be great to see and understand the plan she is working on.

Make the most of the publicity, if we can use it in a positive way to encourage more people into the sport then that must be a positive outcome. I have to say I have lost track of who is now coaching her, I presume it will be an OT trap coach now she has chosen that as her route to the Olympics?

I have also made another thread to get people`s views on getting more publicity for the sport.

I totally agree Phil !! Unless it's bad publicity !

I think we can all help to promote this sport in our own little way ...we should invite a friend !

I,m trying to organise Corporate Client days instead of the normal golf and Football invites ..

My clients are really up for a change .,,it's not everyday you can shoot a gun !!

Last edited:
Phil, I did a fund raiser with Richard Faulds and your dad for the British Shooting Team last year which was a great success...I think something like that would work well on a roving regional basis...I have got a lot of ideas and I do a lot of corporate stuff..want to talk? 

Also think some sort of Strictly Come Shooting would be fun...and get audiences...but the ones who can make a difference are us...and if each of us takes one new person that will surely help...as was the point of my Mel thread...

I know you are busy with clients let me know when would be good to talk and we can set something up... 

I totally agree Phil !! Unless it's bad publicity !

I think we can all help to promote this sport in our own little way ...we should invite a friend !

I,m trying to organise Corporate Client days instead of the normal golf and Football invites ..

My clients are really up for a change .,,it's not everyday you can shoot a gun !!
I'm taking a party of 10 work colleagues to my local clay range on saturday, for a 50 bird taster  / intro :)

Ive also got several of my other colleagues who shoot as well wanting to know if i can organise a session for them :)

Mart

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking a party of 10 work colleagues to my local clay range on saturday, for a 50 bird taster  / into :) Ive also got several of my other colleagues who shoot as well wanting to know if i can organise a session for them :)

Mart[/quote

Exactly the way to do it ! Well done

It may be useful for people to know that you can try clayshooting relatively cheaply through two websites, Groupon and Living Social where they introduce you to shooting grounds who are offering discounted clayshooting.

Cloudside near Congleton Cheshire are offering 50 clays & cartridges, use of a gun and professional tuition plus membership of their exclusive club and breakfast for £50 per person. Or contact Cloudside direct www.cloudside.co.uk  01260 226392

Back