? Chokes ? HELP!?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuGG

Hey guys so I've been shooting clays for around five months now ish along with jumping between skeet trap and ATB and while all the others are good sporting is nu far my favourite discipline! I shoot a silver pigeon 12g o/u with 30" barrels and to give you an idea the last time I shot a round at auchterhouse clays I shot ok well ok for me manages to hit most if not all the targets with cylinder and improved cylinder which is (quarter) I believe ? Anyways I was wondering if I should keep cylinder in the first barrel for the closer targets and move up to half or modified as its called in the beretta table?? Or just stick with what I got???
Thanks I advance

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using my fums

To clarify as the wife has just pointed out I used quite a few cartridges and some of the high birds were testing. Although she says I missed some but I don't seem to recall ??? :/ .

Basically, if you are shooting close stuff, or even longer stuff that is showing face (not edge on) then cylinder choke will break it.

BE VERY CLEAR, THIS SPORT IS 1% ABOUT CHOKE AND 99% ABOUT WHERE YOU POINT THE GUN. Chokes will more likely change HOW the clay breaks more than IF the clay breaks.

To cut a potentially very long story short, I would put in 1/4 choke and 1/2 choke, enjoy your shooting and forget it until you can hit 85%.

Put in two half chokes and forget it

Choke changing is a load of old baloney . I shoot two halves at sporting and two three quarters at Fitasc and use black gold 8 s at everything

Simples

Put in two half chokes and forget it

Choke changing is a load of old baloney . I shoot two halves at sporting and two three quarters at Fitasc and use black gold 8 s at everything

Simples
The only reason I didn't recommend two half chokes, is that he likely won't have two. And at the early stage it isn't worth going out and buying one. :)

Two half, two 3/4, quarter and half, all correct answers really but more open is better early on, long before you get really good you'll no longer need advice anyway as you'd know what suits you. Do as Clever says for now.

Hi chubby forgot you were still around !!!!

Hope you got some 60 yarders planned for your Fitasc , looking forward to it

Are you still busy running that market stall ??????

So on tht subject what shot size is for boys . what shot size should I be using?

I've been through 7s, 7.5s and 8s but finally settled on 8s. If it's too far away for an 8 to break its too far for me to hit it anyway.

I'm using Muller U1 and U2 which are essentially 1/4 and 1/2 and I never change them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So on tht subject what shot size is for boys . what shot size should I be using?

I would use either 8 or 7.5 for sporting, whichever is available in a brand that you like the feel and price of.

I have been shooting just over a year now, and have 2 x Teague extended 1/4 chokes in my B525, cause that's what was in it when I got it.

Too busy practicing and trying to improve technique to worry about choke fiddling

Just another variable that'll mess with your head. As if there's not enough already.  :biggrin:

there is very little difference between 7.5 and 8, although i do carry both.

0.1mm in size and  about 50 pellets more in 8's. I use them because i am a girl.

8's with a slightly tigher choke, 1/2 choke will kill anything. I shoot 8 at anything where i can see any of the face of the clay and 7.5 for edge on stuff and rabbits.

Although a wise old man told me to change to 7 and 8! see you tomorrow edwardo.

:fie:  NO doubt you have a RFD for the rifled slugs Chippy? :fie:   :fie:   :fie:   

Yes a FAC is ok you need good reason for them though.with all this talk of 100-130 and 155yard clays.clay shooting will be fine.you will probably need a good coach as well.

Back