24g 7.5's for UT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

I am thinking to try some 24g cartridges for UT instead of my usual 28g load what is the opinion of using less lead for UT?

Fiocchi Golden 24 grms....the ones that win in Olympics and World Trap Championships....just saying....

UT throws the same distance as OT....so they are the perfect proven shell...as opposed to the other peoples offerings..... ah hahahahaha.

24g pattern very tight IMO. Same speed if not faster in some cases than 28g not that its particularly better or indeed relevant. Less recoil so second barrel target acquisition arguably better. I prefer to shoot 24g and consider them better in many ways however i always have a niggling doubt that i am missing 4g.

Choices choices

"however i always have a niggling doubt that i am missing 4g."

That is the thing that worries me, I am bad enough without losing more than 10% of my fire power! I think I will give them a try out though!

As I have had a lay off for a while and still trying to find form, I will speak from past tests. I found that 24grm is perfectly ok for UT and as Nic says the distances are the same for OT and UT so why would they not work. The strange thing was that I always seemed to get better scores with 28grm but god knows why. At present I'm using 24 on the first barrel and 28 on the second but as I am somewhat rusty I can't give a hard and fast conclusion. What I will say is that the targets that I hit with 24grm are well broken so when I have settled on the carts I will be using, as I am struggling to get my beloved Fiocchi, they will be 24grm. Then get on with the job in hand.

Phil

I started using 24grm when they were first introduced. At that time I was still shooting ball trap and a little bit of DTL, using less shot had no effect on my scores at all. I cannot comment on the use of 24grm for UT as I've only shot it a couple of times, however I can say that initially I did worry that maybe I could have done better with 28grm, but after a few weeks I proved to myself that there was no difference in my scores. At the end of the day if one can hit OT targets with 24grm, then there should be no reason why the same load should work less well at UT, ABT or even DTL, providing you find one that patterns well in your gun at the distances involved in whatever discipline you choose to shoot.

, but after a few weeks I proved to myself that there was no difference in my scores.
Les

This is how I feel in my heart however the head says "hang on a minute you are 4g short"

I have tried many times to convince myself and stick with the much smoother 24g load but that little voice keeps going in my head.

Les

This is how I feel in my heart however the head says "hang on a minute you are 4g short"

I have tried many times to convince myself and stick with the much smoother 24g load but that little voice keeps going in my head.
Yep I had that for a few weeks until I looked in the diary that I used to keep........the score averages were the same for 24grm as they were for 28grm! From that point on I simply never thought about it again.

Trouble is Les my scores are generally so bloody up and down that its hard to analise the results !!

Absolutely agree with that but only to a degree.

The cartridge has to be fit for purpose for the particular discipline ie correct shot size and dare I say gram. Also worth mentioning is that some budget cartridges suffer from consistency issues ie they are not consistent which may be of no consequence to club shooters but at top level even one target lost due to poor consistency can cost you dearly. 

Yep shot both webber, but I believe the Black are worth the extra tenner. Have had both through a chrono and both are very consistent. Also had them dissected by my tame cartridge expert who states all components are top notch.

PS - Free Fiocchi polo shirt would be great :)

Trouble is Les my scores are generally so bloody up and down that its hard to analise the results !!
I reckon most of us suffer from that Ian, only the likes of the super shooters seem to avoid it and even they can fluctuate.

Back