last wylye ever 29/09/2013

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK-POACHER

what can i can i say apart from another bloody good ground gone today.. :thumbsd:

well done ian and crew for a fantastic 120 bird today bloody great fun and loads of people  out enjoying the good targets great ground and lush food.. :stuff:

nice too see loads from on here and meet a few new faces from on here too.

well shot too the little welsh wizard (short legs) he finding some steady form nice too shoot with ya bud. 

anyway ended on a 94/120 had a couple of stands where i should of read the board and seen the bloody target was a standard and then maybe i wouldn't of shot 2 feet in front of it... :rtfm:

thanks IAN for all the good shoots over the years a lll the best to you and val. mark

Really really sad day, will miss them all.

Ian, Val, Jen, Matt, Glynn, Tash and all the referees. Hope our paths will cross in the future, and wish you all the best in what you decide to do next.

Great shoot today as always, I will miss this ground and the targets be very very hard to replace.

I learnt to shoot at this ground, twice! Thank you for all the surperb shoots and the mermories.

Had to shoot this as it was the last one despite already shooting 150 at Westfield in the morning.

Tiredness told on my first stand -dropped 7 ugh.

Hit some good ones, had a mare on stand 8 sim pair. Just looked impossible to me, finally hit one on my last shot. Another ugh. Just too shot out to do 120 justice so scrapped an 81.

Bumped into a friend at the end so forced myself to shoot the pool shoot with him. Turned out to be the last squad to shoot it.

Very, very sorry to see the end of Wylye but I think Ian has for something up his sleeve. Don't think we've seen the last of his targets. I hope not anyway.

As above , a great loss to this part of the country ! Another great shoot today with a good number of shooters in attendance .

Thanks for all the great times at Wylye Ian it's a ground that I will never forget .. I wish you Val and all the staff all the very best in the future .

Thanks for all the support today and the kind compliments and pressies! A lovely day to end on. Ollie Baker blasted it with 112, not surprising really when you think its where he learned to shoot, quite fitting. Over 200 shot today and ate their way through a mountain of food, I sometimes wonder if thats all most people come to the ground for.

So thats the end of it. I wonder how the gap will be filled? Time will tell. We've had some great times and made some good friends. No doubt our paths will cross again before too long. Thank you again.

Ian

Had to shoot this as it was the last one despite already shooting 150 at Westfield in the morning.

Tiredness told on my first stand -dropped 7 ugh.

Hit some good ones, had a mare on stand 8 sim pair. Just looked impossible to me, finally hit one on my last shot. Another ugh. Just too shot out to do 120 justice so scrapped an 81.

Bumped into a friend at the end so forced myself to shoot the pool shoot with him. Turned out to be the last squad to shoot it.

Very, very sorry to see the end of Wylye but I think Ian has for something up his sleeve. Don't think we've seen the last of his targets. I hope not anyway.
Hi gnasher on sim pair what clay did you shoot first as see a number of shooters going for long teal first then going away target and too me that was an odd thing to do as you had too come back down to find the going away..imo

I shot going away first and up on too teal and shot 7/8 even broke one pair with one shot.....

what can i can i say apart from another bloody good ground gone today.. :thumbsd:

well done ian and crew for a fantastic 120 bird today bloody great fun and loads of people  out enjoying the good targets great ground and lush food.. :stuff:

nice too see loads from on here and meet a few new faces from on here too.

well shot too the little welsh wizard (short legs) he finding some steady form nice too shoot with ya bud. 

anyway ended on a 94/120 had a couple of stands where i should of read the board and seen the bloody target was a standard and then maybe i wouldn't of shot 2 feet in front of it... :rtfm:

thanks IAN for all the good shoots over the years a lll the best to you and val. mark
As above , a great loss to this part of the country ! Another great shoot today with a good number of shooters in attendance .

Thanks for all the great times at Wylye Ian it's a ground that I will never forget .. I wish you Val and all the staff all the very best in the future .
Have to just agree totally with both, never disappointed with a shoot at Wylye and today was no exception really enjoyed the course good targets and enjoyed shooting in good company.

Cheers marmite happy with 82/120 but know I left a few out there like you not giving some targets enough thought, you shot well yourself and pulled a few back after a few mishaps

Nice to see Robo and and Teepee met one or too others nice to put names to faces pleasure to meet you Aspire hope you redeemed yourself second round.

Thanks Ian Val and all the staff for many hours of enjoyment and made a few friends along the way will be sadly missed .!!

A great,but very sad day. You didn't have to look hard to see grown men teary eyed...myself included. A beautiful day,great targets,good company and some real laughs. After rattling off near on 300 shells at Southdown yesterday,I didn't put in a 100% performance and finished on 93/120. Fatigue was just nabbing 2 or 3 clays randomly on a fair few stands. Managed to put 4 straights in I think. Enjoyed it so much though I decided to shoot it again...A slightly better performance,but was better fun watching Don trying to shoot half asleep and half wired up from about 10 giant cans of red bull. I won't mention the technique....unless I find out how to post a video on here :)

Was a pleasure to button for Ian as he shot the last pair of birds. Thank you so much for what you have done for me. Love ya,ya big bugger. See you soon x

Last edited by a moderator:
Was great to see loads from here and good to meet you too Shortlegs....redemption was mine....but not by a lot! :) Think I met Gnasher too ;)

Hi gnasher on sim pair what clay did you shoot first as see a number of shooters going for long teal first then going away target and too me that was an odd thing to do as you had too come back down to find the going away..imo
I shot going away first and up on too teal and shot 7/8 even broke one pair with one shot.....
I shot the wrong one first! Didn't think about shooting the crosser first. Duh
And yes, Aspire, that was me ;)

A wonderful day and so sad to see something so special come to an end. Great targets and wonderful company have always been found in abundance in what was a unique setting, and to see it finally close its doors after two decades years was truly heart breaking. Having spent countless hours there over the years life just wont be the same without it, unfortunately you cant always pick your biological family members, but these guys made us all feel like one big family.  I have never been to a shoot anywhere in the world where it was so apparent that people didn't want to leave, clinging onto a last few minutes of time there and it was 6.30 before the last of us finally headed for home. 

I shot like an idiot (as usual!) in my near catatonic state which wasn't probably the right time to try a new technique considering I could hardly see, let alone shoot !  However the targets were vintage Wylye, well thought out and fun with a touch of deviousness thrown in for good measure! I am fortunate to have my card; the last ever entry at the ground and apart from laughing at my score, a quick glance will always bring the great memories back !

Thanks again to Ian, Val and the girls, Glynn, the refs and the best spannerman in the West! I have a feeling we might well be working together again some time......

Philip and I went to our first and last registered at Wylye.  Awesome day and great turnout.  The targets showed that I am still a raw beginner because I don't get out enough! Pleased to see that Wez on here got a fantastic 77!  

:preved:  It was nice to see that the "sheep molesters" from the valleys turned up today, also nice to see old comrades.

I recon it was the best targets that Ian has put on at Wylye, no silly rubbish in your face! every target visible.

Sad to see it close after 20 years or so, I have many good memories  over the years but life goes on.

We are desperately short of grounds in the S/West now, whether Podimore will make the grade only time will tell? :fie:

I hope Ian and Val will enjoy living in Monaco but its better than Antibes! :nyam:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with all of the above (except smacking Gnasher's arse - foolish man!).  Lovely place to shoot, great family atmosphere, always made to feel welcome. 

We went for the great targets and the atmosphere, Ian, but the food was a massive bonus!  I shall miss Val, the girls and the rest of the gang, although I hope our paths cross again soon.

Shooting won't be quite the same any more.  I hope I will see you again soon, Mr Wylye - one of the PROPER good people.  :hi:

Latest posts

Back