Cartridges ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Supercharged

Come on guys ...need some advice on the best cart to use in DTL please....

Rich

Rich

Ooohh.. another cartridges thread !!

I thought you only used Hull ! As you are just starting off with DTL I wouldn't get too bogged down by cartridges at the moment. Any of the budget cartridges (28 gram 7, 7.5 or 8's) will be better than you at the moment. Try as many different brands/specs as you can to assess recoil, break patterns, etc and settle on one you like. If Beverley sell a decent cartridge at a resonable rate why would you buy them anywhere else??

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Chedite universal trap 28g which they sell at a good price at Beverly. There as good as anything and its always better to stick with one that is available to you.

Thanks guys ..yes Beverley do Chedite at a good price so might give them a go...been using Hull Comp X but have been told they are probably too slow ?

Thanks guys ..yes Beverley do Chedite at a good price so might give them a go...been using Hull Comp X but have been told they are probably too slow ?
Really?.. don't think so. DTL is the slowest trap discipline don't worry about cartridges put all your thoughts and concentration into getting the shot on target and you will have no problems with any cartridge. When you move up to faster targets you might want to think about different cartridges but then again if you get a reasonable cartridge and get it on target you will break them. I am new to trap targets but only shoot the faster moving target disciplines  ABT, UT and OT I messed about with cartridges this year at one point and found that spending anything up to €50 a thousand more for my cartridges made very little difference to my scores as a result I now use the cheaper cartridge and it does fine... providing you put it on target. Think about it logically, the target is moving at ~60 mph the shot is moving at ~ 850 mph with a cheap cartridge and 900 mph (over the target range) with a more expensive how is that going to affect you hit rate... it won't make much difference, I think. However where it can make some real difference is in the pattern it throws I think this is much more relevant to success!

edit changed the bit in bold there are cheaper carts than the one I use.

You really don't need super fast shells for Dtl, what you do need is a shell with consistent patterns.I haven't shot dtl for years so I can't recommend a particular shell,try a few different ones and see what suits you and your gun! But.....do not buy a shell just because its cheap!

Thanks guys ..you've all been so helpfull....god do I like this forum. !!!

Last edited:
You really don't need super fast shells for Dtl, what you do need is a shell with consistent patterns.I haven't shot dtl for years so I can't recommend a particular shell,try a few different ones and see what suits you and your gun! But.....do not buy a shell just because its cheap!
 Les while I hear what you are saying it is difficult not to end up buying a cheaper cartridge. I say this from the point of view of value for money and over all effectiveness of the cartridge. Cartridges are very keenly and closely priced by they manufacturers and whilst I don't know the exact prices say you have 10 cartridges three will fall into the £160 -170 per thou, three at £180- 200 and the other four at £ 200 - 260. For an average shooter doing DTL after testing each of the cartridges thoroughly and comparing the results I would be willing to put money on the outcome being the cheaper of the cartridges will give the best overall value for money. If you are a top shot competing in many competitions and targets are vital ,then yes you have to know you are using the best tools for the job. But an average shooter out there trying to improve their score why spend extra of cartridges when you could shoot more and improve with practice. Also here is another take think about this way what about the gun? For example I shoot a Browning cost £3000+ I shoot a cartridge at £160 per thou and get what I consider as good results as with a cartridge costing about £50 more per thou. Would a better gun make the difference? Shooting 10 thousand carts a year would give a £500 difference a few years and you are on your way to a much better gun? I personally think if you find a cartridge that shoots well for you at the cheapest possible price that is the one to go for, when you stop improving your score then may be the time to look at your choice of cartridge, or perhaps get a coach?

Yes John I pretty much agree with you,however I was trying to stress that buying only on price alone is not a good idea in itself! Yes if a cheap shell works well then there is no problem of course, but if that cheap shell has patchy performance then it is best left alone. There is nothing wrong with your gun john,you seem to shoot it well enough too mate,yes you could spend a fortune on a gun,but such guns rarely make us mere mortals into world champs!!! Having total confidence in your gun and shells is very important, because if those things are sorted all you have to worry about is hitting the target. Any niggling doubt in your head about your gun or shells is not going to promote good scores! At the end of the day we all have to find what works best for us as individuals mate!

Well in Rifle comps that I shoot the bullets make a huge difference , I use Eley Tenex which costs approx £10 a box and I also use A cheaper Eley at £3 a box........I have an Anshutz Olympic grade riffle and using the more Exspensive. Bullets make a hell of a difference hence my original question but it seems its not the same thing...

post-1864-0-66777700-1379849042.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Rifle/shotgun apples/oranges...Comp X are fine, i don't like them but they break clays, don't get hung up on claimed speeds, they are all going more than 10x faster than the clay, buy yourself a few boxes of Hull DTL's, Chedite UT's and/or whatever else is on the shelf where you buy your cartirdges...tip a box of each into a bag, go shoot some DTL practice blind loading from the bag, AFTER you've fired, felt the reciol, watched the break, look at what you've just shot. Go with what your gut tells you after you've shot them blind...go with what feels nice to shoot and breaks clays the way you want. :eek:k:

Rifle/shotgun apples/oranges...Comp X are fine, i don't like them but they break clays, don't get hung up on claimed speeds, they are all going more than 10x faster than the clay, buy yourself a few boxes of Hull DTL's, Chedite UT's and/or whatever else is on the shelf where you buy your cartirdges...tip a box of each into a bag, go shoot some DTL practice blind loading from the bag, AFTER you've fired, felt the reciol, watched the break, look at what you've just shot. Go with what your gut tells you after you've shot them blind...go with what feels nice to shoot and breaks clays the way you want. :eek:k:
Excellent reply mate!

Sounds like a plan to me thanks

Yes John I pretty much agree with you,however I was trying to stress that buying only on price alone is not a good idea in itself! Yes if a cheap shell works well then there is no problem of course, but if that cheap shell has patchy performance then it is best left alone. There is nothing wrong with your gun john,you seem to shoot it well enough too mate,yes you could spend a fortune on a gun,but such guns rarely make us mere mortals into world champs!!! Having total confidence in your gun and shells is very important, because if those things are sorted all you have to worry about is hitting the target. Any niggling doubt in your head about your gun or shells is not going to promote good scores! At the end of the day we all have to find what works best for us as individuals mate!
Yes Les you are defo correct there is no point to shooting something just because it is cheap, but if you find something is working well and is a bit cheaper in my book anyway it is worth while using it. And never forget I am Scottish, the save a penny gene kicks in "many a mickle makes a muckle". I love the Browning and to be honest I have a bit of dosh burning a hole in my pocket and was thinking about something new but I know that a new gun is only an adornment and I will shoot no better with it. I also hate the "all the gear no idea type of attitude" so I am minded to stay with what I have. But then again its nice to have nice things isn't it ?

John

I have said before if you aspire to a particular gun and can afford it then get it. No it may not make you shoot better but its to do with ownership of such things. Plus the more it costs the less likely you are of changing it.

Re-les comment on performance.

Last weekend we put a few cartridges through a chrono i am not saying which on open forum but two types from a leading mfr of high ish quality but both just sub 200 mark were very consistent at 1250 fps observed velocity at about 3 metres and another leading mfrs budget end but a very popular cartridge about 155 mark were all over the place between 1240 and 1350 so consistency may well be an issue with budget end and yes they were from same box.

We were shocked at how variable the observed velocity was. Makes you think that you do get what you pay for after all.

hi rich

i shoot at beverley most weeks ! i'm usullay there on a saturday afternoon having a few rounds of practice, best value cartridge around here is at the gun room near malton eley olympics £150 a thousand ! if you want a few pointers at DTL message me. we may have met before but who knows !

james

Latest posts

Back