Big Teal

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wylye

Well, this is not groundhog day but I think we can finally put to bed the myth that is the 100 yard teal. It is impossible - at least with full choke and 42gms. No.4 shot anyway. A number of people tried today, some useful shots, and not one of them hit the target at a measured 100 yards. It was at 75 yards before it could be broken with any kind of regularity - i.e.. one shot in four. So there we have it, proven, done and dusted. It is impossible.

Was about to post about this!!! I have to agree!! Had great fun trying to shoot this,this morning. Not a chance at 100yds! Black Gold 6.5's at 65-70yds,full choke was just breaking it in 3 pieces. Get to Wylye and give it a try.....I promise,once you see and shoot a measured 100yds you'll believe it's impossible too.

Hardly the most scientific experiment I have ever heard of, sure GD would have something to say about it being impossible .

No it isn't !
hello and I don't often comment but I must just add to this.... at Hilldrop Farm we set a teal target a measured 105 meters from target and hit it..... my brother 28 bore shot from this sight hit it more than once, my dad that's not on here also hit it and myself and my brother hit more than the odd one...... Please take on board it was a very still day and hot.... bottom line at a 105 meters from the clay measured with a meter wheel not a guess we hit it..... And at royal Berkshire shooting ground this was hit at 120 meters from the clay..... we at are farm lost it after 105 meters...... This is true and I was pulling the trigger my self so I know this is possible.......... :) happy days

Maybe, just maybe none of you were putting the shot in the right place.

Missing the clay doesn't mean it's impossible.  :sarcastic:

Did I mention I've seen Digweed walk on water too!

i have broke a couple myself at grange farm.one at 100 and one at 105 yds. properly measured . 682golde 3/4choke rio 32grm 5's.seen lots of people break them further too . Adam will tell how far?

i have broke a couple myself at grange farm.one at 100 and one at 105 yds. properly measured . 682golde 3/4choke rio 32grm 5's.seen lots of people break them further too . Adam will tell how far?
Glen Buckley 155yards 

And I shot a left and right at snipe using 28 grams of number 4 at 193 yards!!!!! Look, the ballistics of this just aren't feasible....even with some ridiculously tight choke constriction you cant maintain pattern density worth a damn at these ranges, yes, you may break one now and then but I would quite happily bet a large sum of money that someone could not shoot more than 5 in a row. The word that matters here is "measured" and that has to be with a range finder or a wheel, preferably the latter. A bunch of us messed about at this earlier in the year, including Mr Faulds and yes it could be broken with a degree of consistency at 80 - 90 yards with 42 gram 4's but at 100yards and over everything falls apart. If you want to see just how badly things deteriorate then pattern your gun at 100 yards on a barn wall or similar and see just how many dozen clays you can fit in the holes in your pattern. Why not ask all those with these claims to all meet at a ground with the distance measured out and a true vertical teal rather than one that comes in 20 yards at the top of its flight.....that way we can prove just what can and cant be done and maybe we can establish a new world record....(wink wink)

not that im cynical or anything.....

Ian I cannot believe you stated this is impossible, I mean, you used to regulary put on 100 yard teal in your sporting shoots :biggrin:

Looking forward to the 29th, assuming I'm not banned .,  sad its the last one and I hope you get a royal send off.

Maybe, just maybe none of you were putting the shot in the right place.

Missing the clay doesn't mean it's impossible.  :sarcastic:

Did I mention I've seen Digweed walk on water too!
Well theres probably some truth in this - but a couple of GB Fitasc shots couldn't hit it neither could two England sporting shots, not at 100 yards anyway. A laser range finder was used and it was a chondel trap so the clay went straight up, no angle backwards or forwards. I can't help being sceptical about some of these claims of 135 yards etc. The clay looks like a black aspirin !

Not all shots can shoot a great teal....just saying..!

Adam has stated it can be done as he has seen it at his ground....George did it...at Bisley.....so ....it can be done....true story..!

Granted not everyone can do it ....GB shot or not.

:wink:

Maybe invite Viscont Wylye next time Adam.....so he can see which his own eyes.....just suggesting...!!

Last edited:
And I shot a left and right at snipe using 28 grams of number 4 at 193 yards!!!!! Look, the ballistics of this just aren't feasible....even with some ridiculously tight choke constriction you cant maintain pattern density worth a damn at these ranges, yes, you may break one now and then but I would quite happily bet a large sum of money that someone could not shoot more than 5 in a row. The word that matters here is "measured" and that has to be with a range finder or a wheel, preferably the latter. A bunch of us messed about at this earlier in the year, including Mr Faulds and yes it could be broken with a degree of consistency at 80 - 90 yards with 42 gram 4's but at 100yards and over everything falls apart. If you want to see just how badly things deteriorate then pattern your gun at 100 yards on a barn wall or similar and see just how many dozen clays you can fit in the holes in your pattern. Why not ask all those with these claims to all meet at a ground with the distance measured out and a true vertical teal rather than one that comes in 20 yards at the top of its flight.....that way we can prove just what can and cant be done and maybe we can establish a new world record....(wink wink)not that im cynical or anything.....
We are in pheasant season now, we run are own small club from march - July at farm and would have great delight in setting a measured straight up teal starting at 50 meters pegged every 10 meters up to 120 meters ... Any reff could be a non shooter and double check distance correct.
Hand on heart 1/4 choke 7 1/2 Olympic 100 meters and at 70 meters 21 gram eley first fibre with cylinder is what my dad hit it at......

I will stress it has to be no wind and hot........

Bet Fiocchi Golden would mince it......just saying....

:wink:

We are in pheasant season now, we run are own small club from march - July at farm and would have great delight in setting a measured straight up teal starting at 50 meters pegged every 10 meters up to 120 meters ... Any reff could be a non shooter and double check distance correct.
Hand on heart 1/4 choke 7 1/2 Olympic 100 meters and at 70 meters 21 gram eley first fibre with cylinder is what my dad hit it at......

I will stress it has to be no wind and hot........
Also I believe as it looks so far away you all jump for 34g / 36g / 46g ........ Gd 130 yards white gold 32g 5 shot...... Fair play to him .... I hold my hand up 1/4 choke 7 1/2 Olympics 1/4 choke 105 ......... Hit target more than once or lucky twice once me and mark found it we couldn't believe it...... no silly choke no silly blow your arm off shells just the normal ..........

Not convinced, sorry. 
Does not really matter if you are convinced. If people have done it ....with witnesses.....then they have done it.

George ad lots of witnesses....true story..!!

Back