Slightly different topic

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddmatt

Having attempted the England & GB selection shoots this for FITASC & Compak, I got the chance to talk to a few existing team members and also some of the old guard. One topic discussed was the apparent lack of respect for an England or GB Team place and some of them were of the opinion that no one really cares too much about getting in to the team or cares too much about people who have made the team.

Got me thinking whether this was actually the case or if it was only apparent in FITASC, be interested to know how Ed Solomons feels about shooting for the England Sporting team for instance or anyone who shoots other disciplines for England or GB. If a shooter turns up to a shoot wearing their GB shooting vest would they be ridiculed behind their backs? 

Just interested to see what the general opinion was/is, for me it would be the pinnacle of my shooting to make the England or GB team especially in fitasc.

Frankly if you were the best qualifier on the day the you have every right to feel proud about shooting for GB

Duck everyone else who wasn't available, couldn't make it, had something more important to go to etc.

You had the greatest potential to contribute to the team scheme score on the day

Well Done!!

I have always been proud to wear the England and also the GB vest (for two different Fitasc disciplines).

But recent events where people are now wearing our track suit kit.....without ever winning a badge....to host guests of British Shooting and being allowed to be worn by any other Tom, Dick or Harriet....does seem to devalue it somewhat.

I always shot in my GB vest (having medaled for GB in 8 of the last 9 years) but now it is put away and a plain vest is used (without the badge that I was so proud of).

Maybe I might change my mind in the future.....who knows.

The whole situation of where our organisations are heading is quite sad really and bordering on being embarrassing ....but that is just my view...and probably not worth a lot to anyone else other than me.........true sad story..!!

You stick to the moral High Ground Nic and look down on those not entitled to wear the team uniform!!

Well done for years of performance beyond the great!  

I think its a sad indictment of shooting in the UK when we do not support and encourage shooters who have obtained their badge. We should not tolerate wannabes who wear official gear who have no right to wear it, IMO. But that is another topic.

Has shooting become so individual now that shooting for your Country takes second place?

I've been lucky enough to shoot for the England sporting team as both a junior and senior, in fact I came straight out of the former and into the latter which was a great achievement for me.

Wearing the England badge has always been the top of the tree for me, I'm not massively a team player if I'm totally honest yet I still love shooting for my country. Getting into this team is by far the hardest selection procedure going as far as I see it, huge pool of shooters, at least 50 or so are capable of winning a team place at any one time. Making the 5 man world squad is a genuine achievement.

Did the GB selections for FITASC this year for the first time and made the team, was very proud to do so but for me the satisfaction wasn't really there on the same level as the sporting. Much lower number of participants, even less who are able to be in with a sensible shot of taking a team place, some of whom don't want to go for the team anyhow. Didn't feel that special to me. It may be because FITASC isn't my discipline of course, but that's just my view on the face of it. I'm happy to have the badge and put it on my CV, but I don't think ill bother again.

The sporting team however, I will go for as long as I am able to/am good enough to contest it.

Engerlaaaaaaaaand

Interesting Ed.....because traditionally the Fitasc Sporting GB squad always used to be the hardest to get in.

You keep going on England team....you are a great Captain.

Ed - I understand how the sporting team would be harder to get in to due to the higher number of shooters who do the selection shoots and who possess the skills to get in to the team. This has always been a bone of contention in FITASC, for many the way to gain a GB badge is to have the money to do all the selection shoots and obviously have some ability to get in to the team. There are a few notable names that decided not to shoot for the GB team mainly due to the fact that there isn't any financial reward for doing so or from the shoots they attend, which is a sad state of affairs.

I guess if the fitasc selection shoots attracted the same number of shooters as the sporting ones it might make gaining a badge in fitasc that bit more special, but as you say it might be down to the fact that fitasc isn't really your discipline. Out of interest what don't you like about it?

I am a club shooter a c class at that. I feel quite proud of the fact I can speak to a member on our englad squad and have the fluffy wabbits with them without any sh*te. Very different in football or even rugby. If you repesent your cointry at anything then you have to work for that, anybody who dismisses that is either jealous or not good enough to challenge said champion

For me Matt I don't like what FItASC has become. It used to be a real test of target killing ability, you had to deal with every target under the sun, and WORK for each kill. It has been watered down over the years (certainly internationally) to blink and you miss it type targets. I remember when 21-22 was a real achievement on a layout. 21-2 is now a disaster and pretty much puts you out of the race. It's closer to skeet. Yes you still need to hit them if they are easier and all that but the technical challenge isn't there anymore. I think it's a shame as it has the potential to be a fantastic test of a shooters ability and something to aspire to over years; master that and you must really be at the top level. Now it has been dumbed down like lots of things in life to make people feel better about themselves, and what's even worse is when people like Steve L do put on a great testing shoot like how it used to be, people moan it's hard and they can't shoot big scores. You can't shoot big scores because you aren't good enough and need to improve, that problem lays with you not the targets. If people apply themselves they can achieve pretty much what they want but now it seems most can't be bothered. You see similar with some people in sporting, just shooting soft grounds and moaning when a shoot gets won on 90-91 but fortunately they are in the minority and can be spotted a mile away.

It's a general attitude I guess but for me FITaSC has lots its way. The 40 yard rule is in my mind laughable. When it goes back to being an achievement to hit 90 as opposed to a disaster ill think about having a go again! Might do some majors in this country but stuff abroad is really not for me. I'm a big believer in dont like it, don't do it, which is how I plan on tackling the worlds and Europeans unless I really fancy a particular one.

If I may ?

To shoot for your Country or County is something to be very, very proud of, and it should be on everyone's " to do"  list.

At present, please remember we are the best in the World , just remember that and be proud. Let us get back to the days of having to fight for your place in any team, that can only make our sport stronger.

Take a leaf out of my mate Peter Croft's book, the only GB team he hasn't represented is Hong Kong & the Faulklands. Be proud , be competitive, be good.

On a slightly more simplistic note I would love to shoot for England...I would consider it my greatest achievement...

Best get practising then....

Don't want to blow EDs trumpet for him but he is spot on!! My place in the Welsh team is by far my proudest moment so far. And I am English!!!!!

Don't want to blow EDs trumpet for him but he is spot on!! My place in the Welsh team is by far my proudest moment so far. And I am English!!!!!
The though if you blowing my trumpet sends shivers down my spine..!

Yes Fitasc certainly was harder when I used to shoot it....started going downhill when they brought in new system. However things are always changing for good or bad and you have to shoot what is presented....or walk....or fight....

This is what is happening to Fitasc UT.....new stupid rules.....and we are going to fight it.

It happened 2 years ago in Fitasc Helice....new stupid rules.....and we fought it.....now they have backed down.

Who fought the new rules in Fitasc sporting?

So only option left is shoot it or walk.

However.....it will always be there....someone will shoot it...badges still there......

I often think....bring back the good old days.....so I must be getting old...and been in this game toooooooo long.

There are rumours that FITASC Sporting will start to return, albeit slowly, to being a harder discipline. Now Compak has been introduced its thought that compak will be for big scores 198/200 and FITASC will start to be pushed back to a few years ago. Palinkas wanted a sport that attracted 2,000 plus entries but has realised the overall effect of this is the dumbing down of not only the targets but also the rules and how the rules are enforced.

Next year of two will be interesting, apparently Prague was tricky this year, so Cyprus & Portugal should be interesting. Still would like to shoot in the GB FITASC Team though.

Just a question I have wondered about before having grown up in Wales, parents still living there and being English really.   Is it because you live there that you can shoot for Wales?

You have to be Welsh or married to a Welsh man living in Wales.....and 3 years from having shot for another country....

...just in brief.

Best to see rule book....think if parents or gparents are welsh you also qualify.

But for GBR badge you have to be the best of all 4 home countries to qualify for a cap.

Last edited:
I have only had the privilege once to shoot for GB, but it makes you very proud to know you are going up against the best of the best in your chosen discipline and also very daunting, I am very proud of my vest and wear it whenever I can, I don't give a monkeys stuff what anyone thinks, I earned the right to wear it,

Back