Competition - Nerves Or Excitement

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych4shooting

This year I will be supporting a number of clay shooters, at all levels. I will be at the major Sporting Competitions this year, plus Skeet and Trap competitions too.

What would help you in competition? I am working on a ShootClay exclusive (free) eHandbook on Competition Nerves, so I am interested in what topics you want covered in it. It will be out at the beginning of March ready for the season proper.

I would love to know how to keep totally focused during each stand in sporting, not between stands but during each stand. I used to play a lot of darts and I could totally block out any background noise / talk whilst playing. You could have said anything to me and I would have been oblivious to it until the game was over.

I have only just restarted my clay shooting because of a layoff to be able to afford to raise a family. I am doing alright but I know I can do better.

Any advise would be welcome.

Yep - I'd agree with Happy Trigger here, in my limited experience of major comps (Beretta World last year) - there is a lot of hubbub going on around you at the majors (6 per squad - sometimes a second squad arriving whilst you are shooting) - concentration is at a premium in those times... it only takes a small distraction to ruin concentration.

Second thing I'd like to see is an overall guide & checklist to shooting competitions - how to get and keep yourself physically ready (I don't mean fit - I mean hydrated, nourished and unsunburnt) and prepared to shoot a long day (or days) of targets... and how you get in and out of the zone on a long day.

Lots of majors going on this year - and I'm sure a wide appetite for some common sense, it's not as common as it should be!

Shoot Helice internationally.......that will cure you of background noise listening........once you are used to blanking out the betting shop and the tic tacs .......you can blot out anything :cool: :cool:

I wear double hearing protection. Ear plugs and defenders. Still hear noise in the background but is low level.

I try to concentrate on the target and that seems to block out external noise

I have one Phil.

How to remove a negative thought during competition? and

How to stop a negative though in the first place?

Stop a negative thought, turn it to a positive :) rather than think dont rush, think slow, smooth :D See I learnt something today :p

Nic - Phil is collecting these for a tournament handbook he is writing for ShootClay.... my understanding is that he will answer them all together, this is a gathering exercise.

I know. I am checking that he has registered the questions. :)

They are all be registered and as previously mentioned I will post up the piece in March on ShootClay Forum, based on the questions that have been asked.

Got another for you,,,,,, (must add that these are not mine....but what clients have told me)

You have stepping onto the stand, gun is loaded, focus is directed to the action of the clay, you are ready to call 'pull'........and then you can hear your heart beat through your ear plugs as loud as a bass drum?

phil

at some shoots i catch movement from shooters out the corner of my eye, usually when the ignorant barstewards try to get up the side of the cage to rest their guns.this breaks my concetration and winds me up no end. to the point i have resorted to some strong verbals in their direction . how can i deal with this situation better.

thanks

jasper.

phil

at some shoots i catch movement from shooters out the corner of my eye, usually when the ignorant barstewards try to get up the side of the cage to rest their guns.this breaks my concetration and winds me up no end. to the point i have resorted to some strong verbals in their direction . how can i deal with this situation better.

thanks

jasper.

May I give some advice here Jasper? If not fine, if the answer is yes then I'll catch you after I'm back from todays comp :) .

Latest posts

Back