DTL advice...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Right - at the risk of opening a can of worms, and a lot of "hypocrite" shouts - I want a little advice from Trap friends.  Hedge Monkeys may avert their gaze. 

I have so far, shot 4 individual rounds of DTL in my life - I think I have scored 23, 25, 25, 24 so far... but none have been in competition conditions.   I have previously said I'm not interested in trap, BUT in the most recent rounds I have realised that there is a mental aspect to trap which might be useful when shooting sporting and even FITASC - during my last two rounds (at Coleys recently) - I tried some techniques to get my mind *really* quiet and could feel a different level of concentration.

I'm not going to switch disciplines, but a little more DTL occasionally might help my shooting generally.  And I fancy having a go at a registered competition.  With my trusty taped up Beretta Sporter and some crappy old shells - I'm not getting all fancy with my gun and stuff. 

So - when and where is a good place near me (South East/Berkshire) to go and shoot a registered competition and get my classification. I shall have a look on the CPSA site - but wanted some recommendations

Is Bisley best? Not far from me I suppose... do I need to prebook? Or rock up for the next registered? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bisley is a great place for DTL Matt. I think you can still shoot registered at either Bisley Gun Club or NCSC, they are in the same place at the end of the day! I shot DTL at Bisley in the days of the Ray Ward Trap Club and the old Bisley Gun Club, the old clubhouse was pulled down when they built the NCSC, the old DTL layouts and the Ball Trap layout were bulldozed at the same time, but that as they say is progress! DTL is a VERY serious game and demands total concentration, it is a mind game, far more so than the likes of OT or the other fast trap disciplines. Have fun mate!

Bisley. Proper targets and good experts who are happy to help people new to the discipline.

Anytime you want help Matt and can get to Owls on a Thursday or Tuesday ...I am happy to oblige if you feel I can .

Thanks - weekday shooting limited for me with my new role at work - have to keep my head down for a few months! Can't even rush out for EJC registered.... 

I think I'm just going to plump for a registered at Bisley the next time I can.

Just want to get my class, and learn if shooting a LITTLE bit of this will help my head shooting Sporting/FITASC. 

Drop us a line Matt next time you're up here. Sure we can sort something out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks - weekday shooting limited for me with my new role at work - have to keep my head down for a few months! Can't even rush out for EJC registered.... 

I think I'm just going to plump for a registered at Bisley the next time I can.

Just want to get my class, and learn if shooting a LITTLE bit of this will help my head shooting Sporting/FITASC. 
I'm not really qualified to tell you if shooting DTL will help your sporting, as I've only ever shot sporting a couple of times and that must have been over 25 years ago. As an OT shooter, whenever I see sporting, it always looks like shooting in slow motion! It seems ages from the call to the shot. When I watch the birds at sporting, my instinct says BANG as soon as I focus on it, but the sporting boys seem to follow the target for absolutely ages, sporting does not appear to be reflex based, whereas trap shooting, especially fast trap, is definately a reflex game. Only you will know if a bit of DTL is of benefit, you never know Matt......you may get hooked on it and give up being a hedge monkey! :laugh:

I'm not really qualified to tell you if shooting DTL will help your sporting, as I've only ever shot sporting a couple of times and that must have been over 25 years ago. As an OT shooter, whenever I see sporting, it always looks like shooting in slow motion! It seems ages from the call to the shot. When I watch the birds at sporting, my instinct says BANG as soon as I focus on it, but the sporting boys seem to follow the target for absolutely ages, sporting does not appear to be reflex based, whereas trap shooting, especially fast trap, is definately a reflex game. Only you will know if a bit of DTL is of benefit, you never know Matt......you may get hooked on it and give up being a hedge monkey! :laugh:
Yep - certainly, I felt I was shooting things quite fast (and getting faster) in my last two rounds of DTL - but actually the benefits for me might come in the mental state. 

I have never been very good at maintaining a strong pre-shot routine or keeping my mind quiet when shooting Sporting (ESP or FSP) - but during DTL I found that I could build a routine, and also that I could keep my mind very quite and still - and it helped me to shoot much better than I expected I would.

I won't cross to the trap side completely - but just as a tool for learning, it will be useful. 

Yep - certainly, I felt I was shooting things quite fast (and getting faster) in my last two rounds of DTL - but actually the benefits for me might come in the mental state. 

I have never been very good at maintaining a strong pre-shot routine or keeping my mind quiet when shooting Sporting (ESP or FSP) - but during DTL I found that I could build a routine, and also that I could keep my mind very quite and still - and it helped me to shoot much better than I expected I would.

I won't cross to the trap side completely - but just as a tool for learning, it will be useful. 
Trap shooting in general is all about routine, focus and reflexes as you have found out. There is no chit chat going on beside you or behind you, if such a thing should happen, althought it's very rare, the squad would simply shut the offenders up! This could take the form of those on the squad unloading their guns and stepping back from the line until whatever is going on has stopped. I have seen this happen several times over the years, words are not often spoken, just glares from the squad, towards whoever is causing the problem!!!! They soon shut up!!  In sporting, whenever I've seen it anyway, there seems to be chit chat etc going on while someone is on the stand, OK it may mostly be blotted out by ear defenders, but I would guess that some of it is not. Trap shooters tend to isolate themselves to a large degree when on the layout, there is no chit chat, just perhaps the odd grimace when a target is missed, or the odd silent mouthed comment such F$ckin Bstard!!!!! :laugh:

DTL is very serious stuff, IMO you must be......

FOCUSED on the job, and yet RELAXED in the body and CLEAR in the mind. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT over think or try to analise anything when in comp (such things are for practice with a specific problem) one MUST live in the moment only, with no thought to the last target (missed or shot) and no thought of the remaining (however many) other than the next one. Gun fit and mount MUST be perfect so that you can replicate it without thinking. Think ONLY about seeing the target and let your natural ability and your subconscious take over the act of pulling the trigger.

Phew ...... have fun.

PS - Beware DTL is very very addictive and you will probably need a regular dose.

YUCK!!

"Dose" just has a way medicinal tone.  "Fix" would be more appropriate for the addictive set I think  hahaha

And on the addictive front, it doesn't seem to me that anything else even comes close to box birds.  Y'all should take great care to avoid even the most modest exposure.  

JMO of course

[quote name="Wonko the Sane"

And on the addictive front, it doesn't seem to me that anything else even comes close to box birds. Y'all should take great care to avoid even the most modest exposure.

JMO of course

For the newbies to Trap maybe Fred (40UP) or Wonko could explain the Frank Little method ?

ata legend i believe. Not familiar with his specific method though.

Matt,

Bisley Gun Club have Reg DTL Shoots, every other weekend on both Saturday and Sundays, I would recomend starting with the Sat comps as these are smaller and are shot on a speed squad format, where you shoot 50 targets on each layout, shoot 25 then have a short break whilst the trap is refilled then shoot the next 25. You then have a break before shooting the next 50 on the second layout.

me and Hazel are there most Saturdays now, so happy to meet up and introduce you.

http://www.bisleydtl.co.uk/index.html

Andy,

Thanks for that - Do I need to book in advance for these? Or just turn up and sign on?

Matt

I went on Saturdays - just rock up. Friendly bunch and you will see regulation targets. Good for the concentration even if you don't want to shoot it week-in, week-out

No cash competitions on Sat, but they are registered (or at least that's how it was)

Latest posts

Back