Reading clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Lovatt

Here's a question , how many people honestly stand on a stand and read a target ?????

Answer in my experience a few some of the time

Do you know where it comes from ?? I mean from a certain branch on a tree , how long it takes to get to this branch once called for

How quick it gets from point A to point B the quicker then more lead needed

Is it curling in or out on its flight path

Where's the best place to shoot it to pick up the second clay

Don't be fooled by rising ground and a dropping target

Now have you read that target ?????

Now you can visualise it and shoot clearly

If you miss the first change something because I can assure you if the first didn't break the rest won't

I had a battue and a midi looper at garlands last weekend that needed big lead people were saying cant hit that , never seen them before , well go back stand and watch READ the clay and you will be surprised what might happen

Steve

I thought that the aim of a course setter was to deceive the uninitiated with targets like the ones you described !

I wish someone would start a course for this as I still struggle after many years. I'm sure there's a big question mark above my head at many a stand..

That is my job.. But also is giving folk an enjoyable day out and if I can give a little bit of an insight on how the top shots do it consistently I will always help out

Plus it might just might stop some people saying interesting targets are too hard who knows

Steve

I must be a masochist as I love a stand that completely foxes the old grey matter.:blink:

Reading a stand is part of what Coach is teaching me. Anyone who is not getting taught that from the beginning needs a better coach IMHO.

Hooray at last somebody has got it

And then I hope a good coach will demonstrate different techniques to shoot different presentations

But I also think you can teach yourself to read clays just take time and watch things like trap position etc etc instead of thinking it's just a crosser

I'm just starting to read things, my husband teaches me and he does exactly what you described in your first post. I was at Garlands and remember the stand - I did not do too well but I am still trying to put everything together. You always offer a great shoot Steve and your shoots are part of my marker of my progression. Still trying to get 50 at them but when I do I will be elated - this is my goal at the moment.

Sian next time you shoot with us please say hello and anything you are struggling to with I will try to help out

Steve

That is my job.. But also is giving folk an enjoyable day out and if I can give a little bit of an insight on how the top shots do it consistently I will always help out
Plus it might just might stop some people saying interesting targets are too hard who knows
Steve
i find all stands hard at the moment but really enjoying the challenge. I certainly have enjoyed shooting at your grounds Steve but like Sian, I will be well chuffed when I break 50 (will be a little while yet, mind)...

I do now after my Lessons with Ed Solomons.
I can safely say before this I hadn't applied a second thought to reading speed distance and angle before.
It's made a massive difference to my scores.

Yes Steve....

But me hitting them consistently ....is a different matter....

Some you do and some you don't.

But........I love interesting targets.

I agree nic but everyone and everything needs a firm foundation as to build on

Nic why not pop up to windrush this thurs if your free and see some interesting clays , be good to see you and if mr salop comes we could have a ball !!!!!

I do now after my Lessons with Ed Solomons. I can safely say before this I hadn't applied a second thought to reading speed distance and angle before. It's made a massive difference to my scores.
We're going to have to stop with the Ed promotion; I can see my competitive advantage disappearing before I even have a chance to use it.

Reading targets is what shooting clays is all about! :preved:   its a bit like reading the road when driving a car :crazy:   

It annoys me that Fitasc has stopped naming the targets on the menus in Fitasc Sporting just because of one freaking "Yank"

I know that a midi (90mm) goes 1/3rd farther and 1/3rd faster than a standard clay, and if I am told A bird is a battue I know that I have to move my self a bit sharp! :fie:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very annoying rule change Cyril as proved in the British gp I set this year , a incoming rabbit clay that we know flys slower than a std at 40 yards looks like a std and guess what people shot in front and the more that we're missed the further in front they shot , what is wrong with helping people out if we can ???

Latest posts

Back