2013 North of England Sporting Team (and 5th Selection shoot results)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky T

Full information can be found here:

http://sites.cpsa.co.uk/north/news/2013/08/16/2013-noe-sporting-team-final-selection-report

Coniston Selection Shoot Report (by Terry Deakin).

The fifth and final North Region Sporting selection shoot at Coniston Shooting Ground turned out to be a real ‘belter’, with fun and excitement aplenty for the devotees who made the journey to this most lovely part of the world, shooting 12 stands of varied and testing targets in (mainly) dry and fair conditions – more of which later.

Team places were up for grabs in all categories right until the very end, and congratulations go to all who have now qualified for the North Region Team, with commiserations to the less successful - although your attendance and support throughout the series is fully appreciated by the North Region Committee and by me in particular in my capacity of Sporting Team Manager. To all who took part whether for just one shoot or all five – many thanks!

Now, to business; Peter Manley and his team provided the excellent ground and facilities, with Keith Roe ‘doing’ the targets. Once again half the stands were set up in mature woodland, to give an authentic and challenging background, with the remainder making full use of the terrain and conditions – especially the simultaneous pair of incomers on Stand 4. If you were unlucky enough to shoot this with the occasional gust at your back you were looking at targets which were being pushed back right to the very top of the banking – maybe 60/70 yards plus away. The luck of the draw unfortunately, but what a buzz when you connected with a pair! That’s not to say the shoot was wind-affected, because it really wasn’t - just this one stand where it was a factor, the remainder were presented exactly where and how Keith wanted them, everything in range with plenty of variety – rabbits, driven, High Tower (my personal ‘bogey’ stand) and all equipment working smoothly with minimal interruption, in a pleasant, clean and tidy stimulating environment. It is difficult to pick out the stands that were the real testers – but certainly the close right/left rabbit with a rising quartering blaze on report on Stand 5 was not for the faint hearted, and the aforementioned High Tower (Stand 10) with a report pair of left/right 90 and standard all needing a good coat of concentration and determination.

High Gun on the day was the unstoppable Paul Foster with 94 – to add to his victories at North Wolds and Spennymoor – the only one of nearly 150 shooters to break the 90 mark. Brilliant – and a result which gave Paul zero points in the North’s selection process, which is not bad going when you reflect on the quality and breadth of experience among our Region’s shooters. Long may it continue!

Top Veteran was Graham Stirzaker – who led the field from early doors posting an 89, with Ollie Johnson and Linda Grayson taking Juniors and Ladies categories with scores of 84 and 80 respectively.  Other Class winners were D.Holt - 85 (‘A’), Doncaster junior Jess Wright - 77 (‘B’) and C.A. McGuckin – a pretty tasty 86 (‘C’).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on holiday in Yorkshire so shot this with Damien Holt, Alistair Smith and Andy Gott. That pair on stand 4 were certainly well out there, I missed the first target of the first 2 pairs and then hit the last two pairs. I really struggled with the close rabbit and the blaze stand, missed the first 5 targets and managed to hit the last 3.

It was certainly a very good shoot and I thoroughly enjoyed it, my score of 68 gave me 3rd = in C class and 17thx35 in veterans which is the best placing I've ever had in a registered shoot.

Although some of the targets were way out there I shot the whole shoot with skeet & quarter chokes and ,very unusually for me, managed to hit at least one of every target presented.

Latest posts

Back