'Seeing shot' in the air

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunc

It can be soul destroying to see my lad miss a series of clays and not to be able to advise him on how to get onto the clay.  Try as I do, I am simply unable to see the shot travel and therefore, unlike many others, can't say if he's ahead, behind, over the top or below.  (Mind you, it would appear that the 'volunteer coaches' who say "you're behind" etc often don't have much of a clue themselves!! :fie: )

1) is there any way one can learn the ability to see the shot in the air?

2)  would a camera attached to the barrel do anything to help?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading your comments!

It's very rare to see the shot. Anybody who can accurately advise is just judging the angle of the barrel when fired. Takes time and experience..

And a camera just might assist, but mainly a beginners tool I reckon. It will only show a hit, not where a miss was in error..

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that if I let my eyes relax rather than concentrate on the clay, I can often see a feint cloud/shot string.

also the direction of the wad gives you an idea.

I find that if I let my eyes relax rather than concentrate on the clay, I can often see a feint cloud/shot string.

also the direction of the wad gives you an idea.
NEVER look at the wad. Nothing could be more misleading.

Just got there before me Will, the wad is FAR slower than the shot and will be affected much more by wind.

I have very occasionally seen the shot cloud but the light has to be spot on. Its like a brown smudge in the sky :)

Don't look for shot......it does not mean diddly squat......just saying...!

I am new to the game and only shoot trap so not really qualified to give much advice but having listened to the experts and coaches online they all say the average new shooter will never miss in front in fact one said it would be unheard of for him.

You will only see shot in very specific light and weather conditions, the more experienced of us can tell you where you missed and is a generalisation, it comes from years of doing this. The majority of people who advise where someone misses say they were behind, in fact a lot of misses are due to poor line, while some shots will be behind it can often be the only thing you hear on a ground.

My advice is to get your son some lessons, it will help him a lot, you can go with him and see how instructors know where the shot went.

I am new to the game and only shoot trap so not really qualified to give much advice but having listened to the experts and coaches online they all say the average new shooter will never miss in front in fact one said it would be unheard of for him.
That's an old adage and totally untrue. I can sometimes see the shot but the light conditions have to be just right. It's surprising how many times I hear people being told that they're behind or in front when they're actually underneath or over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
lessons are most likely your cheapest option,however fiocchi do a tracer cartridge that might be of use however they are very expensive at £17.for ten not an avenue I would take but they are out there.

I think the infront/behind thing can be very misleading. For instance, I have had people say you missed that behind and they were quite correct but the reason why was because I knew I was was way in front and stopped the gun at the last minute to try and salvage it thus missing behind, but being way in front if that makes any sense? I have also had this situation in reverse, they have seen I'm miles in front and made the call on that rather than spotting my stopping gun.

No point in knowing where you are missing without the reason why.

I asked the same of my coach, during my lessons,

His reply was he cannot see the shot, but by experiance, following the view from behind me, barrel angle etc, he can tell where my shot has gone.

Re the wad, i had a superb break last session, only to be told i missed the clay completley,  the break ws due to the wad hitting the clay slap bang in the middle, i apparanlty had shot parralel to the clay  .

Mart

You can see the shot pattern, but as others have said the light conditions need to be just right and even then it takes experience to look in the right general area. A better indicator is body language of the shooter and of course the barrels at the moment of firing, if you stand in the right area behind them you can tell behind or too far in front pretty easily although line is more difficult.

Also as mentioned by others it's no good seeing the shot and advising them accordingly unless you know the cause. Fairly small changes to hold point coupled to correct timing can transform misses or chips into good breaks.

Aye, if the condition's are right, and you are stood in the correct place - shot can be seen. I used to see it as a "grey" cloud. I suspect my eyes would let me down these days.

Phil* 

Back