Resets

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddmatt

Does anyone have any good tips on reseting your mind if it wanders off during a round. Yesterday I found I struggled to get focussed on shooting and simply couldn't switch the concentration on.

Be interested to see what some of you use...

I could have used something before that last layout... 

Sometimes I need a reset during a layout, a couple of high profile shooters used things like rubber bands on the wrist or little red dots on the glass of their watch, unless you know the other trigger points just sticking a dot on your watch wont do much. @PhilColey fancy throwing some light on this :)

i allways start humming a certain song and only that song in the hope that it trains my mind to switch to a focus on shooting when i start humming.Dont know if thats the right thing to do,but it does stop me thinking of other things.  

That has worked for me before....should have thought of that on Sunday when my mind went flipping haywire!

There is the first problem, remembering to do that something that helps reset your focus!

I tend to set rather than reset then I know I'm there for every stand or station :) I'll expand later when i get to a keyboard bigger than a knats wotsit

Until I am next up to shoot I let my mind wander where it wants to go, I used to do this in cricket when I was batting. In between overs we would be planning our night out, comparing who we pulled last night, anything but cricket. As soon as the bowler reaches his mark I used the "Show-time" you will read later as a trigger to switch on.

When the guy in front steps onto the pad (skeet) I am staring at the floor (blade of grass, daisy, lump of clay, anything really) saying "Focus" to myself nearly as a mantra. When they have shot I step on and I say "Kill one at a time" while picking out my hold points. Then I load my shells and as I close the gun for the first bird I say  "Show-time" Obviously this is all said in my head, I'm not that much of a lunatic :lol:

These are my key or trigger words so might not work for everybody but they seem to work for me. The only time I need to reset is if there is a no bird. Then I will break the gun and repeat "Show-time" as I close it again :)

You should have to reset, (or in my case, set) yourself multiple times through a round as its just not possible to be at peak concentration for that long. Let the mind wander between stands/stations and set yourself just before you are up to shoot :)

Rubber band is old hat now......it was used whenever you had a negative thought....you twanged it hard so it hurt your wrist.

Did not last long with me....!! :laugh:

Some now transport themselves to the seaside........did not suit me :wink:

Until I am next up to shoot I let my mind wander where it wants to go, I used to do this in cricket when I was batting. In between overs we would be planning our night out, comparing who we pulled last night, anything but cricket. As soon as the bowler reaches his mark I used the "Show-time" you will read later as a trigger to switch on.

When the guy in front steps onto the pad (skeet) I am staring at the floor (blade of grass, daisy, lump of clay, anything really) saying "Focus" to myself nearly as a mantra. When they have shot I step on and I say "Kill one at a time" while picking out my hold points. Then I load my shells and as I close the gun for the first bird I say "Show-time" Obviously this is all said in my head, I'm not that much of a lunatic :lol:

These are my key or trigger words so might not work for everybody but they seem to work for me. The only time I need to reset is if there is a no bird. Then I will break the gun and repeat "Show-time" as I close it again :)

You should have to reset, (or in my case, set) yourself multiple times through a round as its just not possible to be at peak concentration for that long. Let the mind wander between stands/stations and set yourself just before you are up to shoot :)
Fuz next time your shooting you do realise some evil feckless bugger will be muttering 'show time' behind you...........

Do what they want, once I'm on that pad I hear nothing, most of the time not even the ref! Mrs Fuz was videoing me and when I watched it back there was all sorts noise coming from it, people from the club house talking, even a bloke shouting to his mate in the carpark to fetch him a box of shells, never even flinched :D

I think about Melanie Sykes in bed with me, perhaps that's why I shoot like a .................

i allways start humming a certain song and only that song in the hope that it trains my mind to switch to a focus on shooting when i start humming.Dont know if thats the right thing to do,but it does stop me thinking of other things.  
 i think it depends on the song "miss you by the stones" is always a good one :lol:

I have difficulty keeping concentration and being new this can be disastrous but for me I find thinking of particular shooters help for particular birds - for example if I am rushing or not swinging smoothly enough I will always think of Mark Marshall whom I have had the pleasure of being able to watch quite a few times at different shoots and I will whisper his name before I take the shot - it has worked many times for me. I think it relaxes me and I visualise him taking the shot. Does that sound weird? actually I don't care it works!

I have difficulty keeping concentration and being new this can be disastrous but for me I find thinking of particular shooters help for particular birds - for example if I am rushing or not swinging smoothly enough I will always think of Mark Marshall whom I have had the pleasure of being able to watch quite a few times at different shoots and I will whisper his name before I take the shot - it has worked many times for me. I think it relaxes me and I visualise him taking the shot. Does that sound weird? actually I don't care it works!
Sian ... that's a little bit weird..!!

Latest posts

Back