A new "Trap" excuse

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

During Friday practice for the English open ABT this weekend in glorious light conditions a few of us were discussing why we had all missed a few easy targets during a particular line and consensus of opinion believe it or not was that "they were too good too see"

Discuss ....... 

Yeap......this does exist. Too good too big, dustbin lids etc etc enjoy seeing it so well therefore look for too long...bang bang miss.......true story..!

We Brits are used to shooting fast before it disappears into the fog.....just saying.

I absolutely believe this! I usually miss a target that should be a favourable angle and trajectory for me because I look and see the clay and think eeeeeeeeeeeasy taking far too long to shoot it. This I believe leads to two possible miss out comes miss one you shoot above a falling target miss two you over accelerate your gun after taking too long looking at this easy target and again shoot over the top. I have come to think that the correct way to approach all targets is to see the target and shoot it as fast as you can without thinking about it :) I am new to trap but am beginning to get some firm ideas of my approach and my scores are going up, I believe, because of this. See the bold word think above I was doing far too much of that :)

Its a strange thing trap shooting. I have said many times that IMO seeing the target properly is paramount to good shooting, trouble is as Nichola has said we are just not used to visible targets in UK light so on the rare occasions you get it we are caught out and timing goes out the window. Luckily after a few lines you get accustomed to it and then your off. I can't remember any other shoot were i was aware of this but it wasn't just me there was some very knowledgeable shooters i heard make the same comment.

Hi ips I gave my opinion of the type of target where I miss, but what type of target do you miss and where do you think you miss these targets and why? Really interested in this because it has been happening to me on targets that look and according to shooting theory should be favourable for me.

To be absolutely honest i do not have the answer. I do not have a boggie target that i am aware of (and i don't want one :) ) so i don't think i missed anything specific it just seemed to take a few lines to get used to seeing them earlier than your used to therefore effected timing a little. I would guess that i shot too quick without pushing through the target due to seeing it so much sooner, but that's an educated guess as i got used within 2 lines so luckily didn't have time to analyse it. Again its an educated guess that maybe its similar for you maybe you need to let the target out a milli second longer to ensure full target lock then attack it.

Terms and conditions -

Obviously this is speculation as i haven't seen you shoot.

My current troubling target is the simple straightaway.  

Always miss to the left.  

My excuse is that I'm trying to see around the floaters.

Charlie

Always miss to the left.  

Charlie
I was at the optician the other day and after having my eyes tested I was walking up the road and asked my wife " do you ever get floaters". I got a withering look and a "that's disgusting mind your own business" ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be absolutely honest i do not have the answer. I do not have a boggie target that i am aware of (and i don't want one :) ) so i don't think i missed anything specific it just seemed to take a few lines to get used to seeing them earlier than your used to therefore effected timing a little. I would guess that i shot too quick without pushing through the target due to seeing it so much sooner, but that's an educated guess as i got used within 2 lines so luckily didn't have time to analyse it. Again its an educated guess that maybe its similar for you maybe you need to let the target out a milli second longer to ensure full target lock then attack it.

Terms and conditions -

Obviously this is speculation as i haven't seen you shoot.
I have bogey targets!!!! They are always orange and fly out of the floor from some sort of trench or other! :hyper:  But seriously, I had a prob years ago with straight ahead mid height OT birds, so should be an easy hit, but no. I asked Peter Croft why I was missing them and he told me that it was because I thought that particular bird was "easy" (if there is such a thing in OT), therefore I did not focus as hard on it or go for it with the same motivation that I would given say a ballistic left hand daisey cutter! I thought about it and went like hell at them after that, I rarely miss one of those "easy" ones these days! True story.........(as Nic would say)

Yes Les.....when you look at the few that get away in a round of tough trap OT ..UT (and before anyone starts....I do not think DTL is easy....but I am talking about fast trap)....for me it is exactly one or two of those flat straight away birds....or the 45degree high left.

The flat 'easy' (hahaha) straight should be dead.....because in Helice those are my favs......anything close to the floor.

?????

Frustrating

Always miss to the left.

Charlie
This really sounds like an eye dominance problem, if you consistently miss a straight target to the left, your left eye pointed at it. Only speculation of course, but worth checking.

Darkside , you've just deprived some coach of a few hundred quid to sort out that problem with your simple solution. Have a thought for people's livelyhood in future :)

I can't really argue against the dominance suggestion, tho the angle targets are way less frequently missed.  I think the attacking the target biz that Les mentioned is the answer.  If there is a dominance prob then the more dynamic demanding angle targets obviates it.

'Course being a decrepit beat up old git has an effect too I'd guess

Charlie

Right off to Owls to try new 'trap excuses'......on this thundery hot day.

If it carries on lightening I will be in the hut on the layout.....

Want to try the new glasses in this really awful light.

If anyone on here wants to try Helice......we have a practice day tomorrow at A1 shooting ground (10am-2pm).

See you there.

Latest posts

Back