Semi Autos?...Good, or Just Plain wrong?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH .. I don't have a problem with people using them, some people hate them with a passion .

I used to have a Browning Fusion auto for use in the hide, gave me nothing but trouble. If I ever went back down the auto route I would be looking at the Beretta 391 or A400 ;)

Nothing wrong with a semi auto, just make sure you buy one with proven reliability and get ready to do alot of bending over picking up ejected shells off the floor.

Nothing wrong with semi autos as long as you obey the safety rules. If you really want one stick to Beretta or Benelli. As Bryan has already implied they don't give £120 away without reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like then personally - but have no objection to seeing them being handled safely out on the ground.

The reason I don't like them? Too much mechanics going on near my face.... can't get used to all that 'stuff' happening just below my eye.

Nothing wrong with semi autos as long as you obey the safety rules. If you really want one stick to Beretta or Benelli. As Bryan has already implied they don't give £120 away without reason.
I don't think you can imply that there's anything wrong with them because they're offering cashback!  At work we sell a specific type of office equipment and the manufacturer is frequently running marketing promotions such as 'free upgrades' (get the better version for the price of the standard one), bundles (buy one get accessories free), and yes - cashbacks.

They don't do that because no-one is buying their product, or because they think there's something wrong with it and want to offload it - indeed, they are the dominant player in the market with a highly recognisable brand, a very reliable product and 70-80% market share.  But they still run the promotions anyway (perhaps that's why they have 70-80% of the market!)

This manufacturer tells us that everytime they run a cashback promo on the machine their sales go through the roof - and what the manufacturer really loves about cashback promos is that that the sales go right up but only 30% or so actually bother to claim the cashback! (I know it sounds a bit crazy to buy a product because it has a promo and then not bother to claim it, but that's the way these things work.  Remember the infamous Hoover holiday ticket promo fiasco?  It wasn't that they were idiots who didn't think it through - They calculated the profits based on only a smallish % claiming the tickets, and they based that on the claim rates on similar promotions they had run.  But what caught them out was that the deal turned out to be a lot more popular than their previous ones and too many people claimed)

As far as I know Browning are a very reliable brand, and as it's an american company (and americans love semi's a lot more than double barrelled) I would guess there are a hell of a lot more Browning semi-autos out there than Beretta semi-autos...

Also, if you look at gun trader the most discounted guns (from rrp) tend to be the Berettas.  So you could claim that there must be something wrong with Berettas that everyone is selling them off at such a big discount.  In reality it's much more likely that, because they are probably the most popular brand in the UK, there is much more competition amongst the dealers who are all cutting the prices and price matching each other to get a piece of the action and that's why they're so discounted.

Stuff like that is just marketing, plain and simple, I would read anything else into it.  The big brand gun manufacturers don't make guns for the fun of it, they're businesses and as such their goal is to sell guns.  Some might want an 'exclusive' rolls royce type brand, while others might want a more 'sell to everyone' brand, but at the end of day they want to sell guns and market accordingly...

Hate them with a passion. Can't see the point.

Love them to bits, and they are a delight to shoot. Not everyone's cup of tea, but used correctly they are a good tool in the right hands.

Phil*

Don't like 'em!  Or to be specific, I can't stand the way they throw empties everywhere which can't be picked up!  Just my personal opinion of course...

(Is it tin hat time??)  :crazy:

I don't think you can imply that there's anything wrong with them because they're offering cashback!  At work we sell a specific type of office equipment and the manufacturer is frequently running marketing promotions such as 'free upgrades' (get the better version for the price of the standard one), bundles (buy one get accessories free), and yes - cashbacks.

They don't do that because no-one is buying their product, or because they think there's something wrong with it and want to offload it - indeed, they are the dominant player in the market with a highly recognisable brand, a very reliable product and 70-80% market share.  But they still run the promotions anyway (perhaps that's why they have 70-80% of the market!)

This manufacturer tells us that everytime they run a cashback promo on the machine their sales go through the roof - and what the manufacturer really loves about cashback promos is that that the sales go right up but only 30% or so actually bother to claim the cashback! (I know it sounds a bit crazy to buy a product because it has a promo and then not bother to claim it, but that's the way these things work.  Remember the infamous Hoover holiday ticket promo fiasco?  It wasn't that they were idiots who didn't think it through - They calculated the profits based on only a smallish % claiming the tickets, and they based that on the claim rates on similar promotions they had run.  But what caught them out was that the deal turned out to be a lot more popular than their previous ones and too many people claimed)

As far as I know Browning are a very reliable brand, and as it's an american company (and americans love semi's a lot more than double barrelled) I would guess there are a hell of a lot more Browning semi-autos out there than Beretta semi-autos...

Also, if you look at gun trader the most discounted guns (from rrp) tend to be the Berettas.  So you could claim that there must be something wrong with Berettas that everyone is selling them off at such a big discount.  In reality it's much more likely that, because they are probably the most popular brand in the UK, there is much more competition amongst the dealers who are all cutting the prices and price matching each other to get a piece of the action and that's why they're so discounted.

Stuff like that is just marketing, plain and simple, I would read anything else into it.  The big brand gun manufacturers don't make guns for the fun of it, they're businesses and as such their goal is to sell guns.  Some might want an 'exclusive' rolls royce type brand, while others might want a more 'sell to everyone' brand, but at the end of day they want to sell guns and market accordingly...
Knowing several people that have owned these guns I can say exactly that. I don't know about America but in the U.K. Beretta and Benelli rule in the semi auto market. I personally own 3 Browning over /unders which are brilliant guns but I would never buy a Browning semi auto. Having owned Browning, Beretta,Benelli,Franchi and Fabarm semi autos over the years I always come back to Beretta. 

Don't like 'em!  Or to be specific, I can't stand the way they throw empties everywhere which can't be picked up!  Just my personal opinion of course...

(Is it tin hat time??)  :crazy:
You are of course right about the empties as it is impossible to catch them. There is a product available in America called a cartridge catcher which should overcome the problem.

Is this so much of an issue with the gun or is it more to do with shooters in general. I often stand behind people with over/unders who open them and eject the cartridges in such a way as they hit any one standing behind :spiteful: :spiteful: . I have even seen people who catch their empties and then throw them on the ground next to the bin.

One of my pet hates is walking in to a stand that is littered with other peoples empty cases. I won't shoot until I've cleared them out of the way.

A cartridge catcher works for Trap as it only catches one empty.

I've shot them for a long time but an O/U has less to go wrong, but I've had Beretta's for years and shot thousands of cartridges through them with no breakdowns at all.

If you want one buy one, if you want a little bit less recoil buy a gasser, if recoil does not affect you now, buy what you like and which fits you best. The better ones are normally fitted with shims in the stock so you can get it right.

Ive chance of buying one of these ...Beretta AL391 Teknys , are any good ?

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny , S/h prices I can expect to pay ? How much was this new ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back