Centre of Excellence & Sport Science

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych4shooting

Today will signify a major step forward in the creation of the Centre. It has been over 2 hard years in the making, but the creation of a pathway for the development of the sport is another step closer. The creation will give all shooters and coaches the access to leading edge sport science support and coach development, coupled with some of the best coaching available for discipline specific training.

More information to follow in the coming days as the official launch is on target for September.

dont care about it  being free, will it  be financially accessible for all??? or just the Elite squads?

Today will signify a major step forward in the creation of the Centre. It has been over 2 hard years in the making, but the creation of a pathway for the development of the sport is another step closer. The creation will give all shooters and coaches the access to leading edge sport science support and coach development, coupled with some of the best coaching available for discipline specific training.

More information to follow in the coming days as the official launch is on target for September.

It will benefit all shooters, and as said more details to follow. But the aim is to create something for our sport - as with all things there maybe a cost at some levels for what is being created. There has never been something put together like this, a chance for some real fact based research and the development of the sport with all aspects covered, including both participant and coach development.

It will offer something for all and will be as much as possible made to be cost effective. It is being run as a commercial operation and not controlled by any governing body, although they will be able to access it as anyone could.

Thanks Phil. Will you be posting the details and launch on here?

It would be helpful to have it clear from the start just who can be helped, how many can be helped for free (hopefully the free help can be for grass root shooters). Have the NGB's got involved with any support and financial contributions yet?

Last edited:
This is just a "let people know it is happening" post - I know that the grass roots need to have an easy and financial incentive and it will be looked at, but I also have to secure sponsorship and funding for this, I have chosen to have it as a stand alone, so it is not exposed to funding ups and downs, but any financial support would be great.

Any centre of excellence created to enhance the quality/perception of shooting has to be a good thing doesn't it? The only way a service like that can be provided free of charge is by people such as Phil working bloody hard getting sponsorship to fund it. The first post states 'all shooters', in the same way I guess that other sports have centres of excellence that anyone can attend if they aspire to that level. Lets face it why would you want all the spaces in a centre of excellence taken up with those who will never reach the top flight in their sport? It's always the same, those that know they will never make the top are always the ones to diss anything set up to help those with talent. (jealousy I call it). You MUST have top performing sports men and women in your sport before that sport attracts finance so get behind those trying to make that happen rather than making smart remarks about what they are doing. Excellent Phil keep it up it's great to see what you are doing with the kids

Up late and in a bad mood are we Mr Lovell?

Bit of an aggressive post as a newbie on the forum.

I have re read this thread and the posters were asking if all or just the Elite (a word I am never comfortable with because it is too wide a description) would benefit from this centre.

There is nothing wrong with any of the posts until yours......just saying...!

I am not sure who you are referring to when you state.....'.....those that know they will never make the top are always the ones that diss anything set up to help those with talent (jealousy I call it)'......maybe you could explain...?

There are only 3 people who posted on here apart from Phil.......so who are you referring to Mr Lovell..?? Or are you just generalising and not referring specifically to anyone on here?

Last edited:
I read again and see......

" Lets face it why would you want all the spaces in a centre of excellence taken up with those who will never reach the top flight in their sport?"

Answer - because a centre of excellence will not know which of the kids they take in will reach the top flight.....or just be reasonable shots on a good day......that is the point. There are no guarantees. People who support up and coming shooters....juniors especially ....(like I do with cartridges, lessons and equipment) are always taking a gamble......but they do it happily and free for the good of the sport......if they have spotted potential talent.

Another person who never gets the credit he deserves is Claudio Capaldo at A1 Shooting Ground. He gives hours of free advice to our up and coming, good new talent in Olympic Trap. He has been responsible for several ISSF and FITASC medals that have been brought back to this country. Yet he never says a word.....he does not self publicise at all. People go quietly to him because he is the best.

You have a strange take on the subject matter......and I am not sure if you are a shooter or not, or new to the sport, or a parent of a shooter.......but you have a lot to learn before you start making sweeping statements of misunderstanding on an Internet site.

I am sure that all the posters on this site want to see Phil's centre succeed......we have needed something like this for a very long time.

And...I am sure that when the details are known / launched that it is the posters on here and other social media, that will spread the news far and wide.

Last edited:
After a bit more research......I find that you are in fact the father of a student under Phil's wing.

I do not think that Phil will have appreciated your post on here.

If your daughter had been in one of our GBR teams.....then I know the post on here would not have been appreciated.

.....true story.....!

Give the guy a chance to respond!  The cockerel and chickens have obviously fired you up this morning! :lol:

I didn't read his post as being anything other than supportive of Phil and what he is doing but there is obviously something more to this than meets the eye and you should not read into his post and make sweeping statements about it before he has a chance to explain further.

I am sure that Phil can speak for himself if he wants to.

Looking back on the posts they "scream" that they want it free and for all shooters which might be the point at issue and have the potential to dilute what is available for those who are thought to have talent.

Back