Jammed Beretta

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Boakes

Hi all

I could really use some of your knowledge and advice with a problem I experienced today,

Ok hear goes

On two separate stands today my 686E EVO jammed shut, I.e. I wouldn't open, the top lever was jammed, the trigger was solid and the barrel selector was stuck in the middle position. The scariest part was the second time this happened there was a live round inside it.

I am thinking that either I flicked the selector into this mid position without knowing causing the jamming, or the firing pins are not returning causing the mechanics to jam and also the top lever to stick,

The gun is only nine months old, cleaned every 200/300 shots, and in immaculate condition.

My plan for tomorrow is to call GMK first thing to see where I stand/ what to do next as it has the 10 year warranty on it.

I can return it to the shop I purchased it from although I live nearer to GMK than the shop so dropping it there would be easier.

Now my other problem is the approaching Beretta worlds, is it likely that GMK/dealer will be able to rectify this in time? Or will they loan me a replacement until its fixed?

I really need it back ASAP

All of your advise is much appreciated

With the 10 yr warranty I would get it back to GMK whether direct or through the dealer. Sounds like something may have come adrift in the action :(   I doubt if GMK will give you a loaner but if you mention you are already booked on to their competition you might get something out of them. Probably better to take it to the dealer for any chance of a loan gun I would think. 

So did you just flick the selector back and it was all cured?

It it possible that you are holding the gun in a way that under recoil the gun is 'moving back onto your thumb' and pushing the selector? I have seen someone smack their thumbnail to bleeding via the top lever hitting it under recoil. (I'm sure your grip is better than that but you get my point).

Ps, a loaner would have to be picked up friday night and back again monday morning to stay within the 72 hour rule, otherwise it will have to go on your cert

Will

The first time ( both cartridges fired ) I couldn't move anything as it was all jammed, so i took it back to the hut at 4c's to look for some help , Brian came and managed to open it,

The second time (live cartridge) I stayed in the cage, and asked the Marshall to get Brian, he came and had to hit the bottom of the stock to shock the selector to be able to open the gun.

I am honestly not sure if its me, or the gun, I only mentioned the possibility of knocking the selector as I bingled the fault and this came up on other forums.

I would mount the gun at home and note where your hand is. If its on the selector, it's a real possibility that you have 'cockpit trouble' to use an old racing term :)

Speak to the shop where you bought it from. My mates wife had a hammer break a week before the Beretta World a couple of years ago and there was no way that it could be sent to GMK ,repaired and returned in time. However the gun was returned to GMK who repaired it and took it to the shoot with them and it was collected from there on the day that she shot.

You will probably have to ask your dealer to do this as it was only at my suggestion to the shop and then in turn to GMK that this was done.

Hi Rob

Had exactly the same problem as you only last week with a one month old 692.

Took it back to Hodnet, where I bought it and they put around 15 shells through it and could not replicate the fault. Their view was if a gun is going to go wrong it will do so very early on in its life and that maybe a piece of swarf had caused the problem!!

I am not totally convinced by their view of this problem. However, I will give it another try this week and see how it goes.
Like you, I am somewhat concerned about having a gun jammed with a live shell in it.

If this does happen again it will certainly go back to GMK. I have heard that the turn around times are in the order of four weeks at the moment.

Hi FSB

Thanks for your post,

GMK where really good when I called them, and coincidently they also thought the cause is most likely from a piece of wood from the original fitment of the stock.

Same as you I can't honestly believe this is the case.

So I have returned the gun on Monday to GMK through another dealer as they are closer to me than where I originally purchased the gun, (very sporting of them and GMK for arranging)

Also I made sure with all of the correspondence including a cover letter within the gun case, mentioning that I needed the gun back within two weeks or I would be financially be out of pocket due to cancelling/missing coaching prior to The Beretta Worlds.

I will give them a call either tomorrow or Wednesday to find out how and what's caused the fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

Just to give you an update, I picked up my gun today fully repaired under GMK warranty,

Apparently it was a price of wood floating around inside of the stock, not sure if this was the case or this was a (response to the customer) for a production fault with recent guns.

However it's all repaired thankfully, great turnaround by GMK, and great service from William Evans (Bisley) for helping me out (even though I didn't purchase it from them)

Great outcome. Reminds me of that old story (urban myth?) of the guy who sent his new Rolls Royce back with a failed rear axle. RR sorted it double quick and delivered it back all cleaned up and perfect. Bloke writes a thank you letter to RR for their excellent handling of the problem. He receives a response letter saying that RR have no record of such a fault and have a 100% reliability record..

Latest posts

Back