would you Teague a new MK38

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigolbear

I have on order a new MK38 with an adjustable stock should be here this week (hopefully)  , my question would you have it Tegued  and multi chokes fitted . Or leave alone as 3/4 and full .

1) Are you going to use it exclusively for trap including OT, ABT and UT? if yes leave it, if no proceed to question 2

2) Are you going to shoot exclusively Sporting and DTL if yes, you might want to think of easing it out to 1/2 and 3/4 or even 3/8 and 5/8. if no proceed to question 3

3) do you want to use it for everything including skeet and some game? if yes get her Teagued.

Caveat, even if you answered yes to question 1 you will love it so much you will want to shoot it for everything and all will be moot  :sarcastic:

May have been better to have gone with the sporter version and had a comb conversion as this may have been a cheaper option however see how you get on with the fixed choke situation before coughing up between 4/6 hundred pounds on a teague conversion.

Personally, having got long teagues in my mk38 already if I decide to upgrade to anything else I would spend the extra on getting a fixed choke teagued rather than buying a factory multi. The craftsmanship is excellent and the constrictions are to your particular bore size.

I really dont like the bulge at the muzzle end of browning factory multi barrels and the teague flush fit thin walls are made to such good tolerances it is nearly impossible to tell its a multi, flush fit really does mean flush.

If you do get it done it might be worth thinking about letting Nigel work his magic on the forcing cones at the same time :)

I would shoot it as it is. You could find different cartridges that will throw a slightly more open pattern for some close stuff, but it is actually fine if you get your head around the constriction, know it and your limitations and just get on with shooting, knowing full well that you have enough choke for any eventuality.

I have on order a new MK38 with an adjustable stock should be here this week (hopefully)  , my question would you have it Tegued  and multi chokes fitted . Or leave alone as 3/4 and full .
If you feel the need for multichoke then Teague choke it, I DID :)

Extended long chokes mean's no key needed to change chokes, finger tight is good.

MK38 trap with teagues is far better than the factory multichoke

Teagues are good without doubt but my factory choked sporter fitted with muller chokes patterns as good as it gets the breaks are unbeatable from close to extreme i don't believe any other option would improve on that.

I would shoot it as it is. You could find different cartridges that will throw a slightly more open pattern for some close stuff, but it is actually fine if you get your head around the constriction, know it and your limitations and just get on with shooting, knowing full well that you have enough choke for any eventuality.
I tried shooting a Trap gun for sporting with tight chokes and to be honest it's not easy at all.

And why buy a Trap gun if you're going to shoot sporting as the stock configuration does not suit everyone.

yip, have it teagued.  you will then have the best version of this gun that you could have in my opinion.  what are you planning on shooting with it?

Depends, how much money do you want to spend? You could do the following:

1. Leave it as is, if you get to grip with it then fine

2. If you do want to open her up a bit, get someone like Bill Blacker/Teague to take the chokes to what you want ans shoot it,

3. If you then think actually I'd prefer multi chokes then have it done

Now there will be loads of people saying what a watse of money, BUT, if you go this route you have lots of choice, if you go straight to multi chokes then thats that, plus what chokes would you go for, I have seen briley choked MK38's pattern fantastically and I have seen long teague choked MK38's pattern fantastically, oh the choices :)

Pity you bought a new one. You could have had my beautiful MK 38 Grade 5 trap with adj stock for half the price of a new one (well almost) then spent the rest on teagues!

Also located in south Staffs!

Ho hum

DT

Pity you bought a new one. You could have had my beautiful MK 38 Grade 5 trap with adj stock for half the price of a new one (well almost) then spent the rest on teagues!

Also located in south Staffs!

Ho hum

DT

That's just sods law that is.

Teagues are good without doubt but my factory choked sporter fitted with muller chokes patterns as good as it gets the breaks are unbeatable from close to extreme i don't believe any other option would improve on that.
glad it's working for you

leave alone, i bought one shot fairly well with it for a couple of years, had it teagued, shot badly for a year until i just left it alone with 3/4 full back in there, then was doing good again.

Yes Pete I agree totally! I'm a trap shooter but I have used my 3800 trap gun (3/4 & Full) at skeet and sporting when I've been conned into it! As it happens I shot the thing quite well too, especially at skeet, no chips, no bits, just vapour!!!!!!

If you are shooting anything but trap either get it teagued or opened out. No disrespect meant but you have to be really very good for 3/4 and full to be a realistic option for sportng and skeet. If would cost you FAR more than it would give you.

If unsure get it opened to 1/2 or 3/8 in both pipes for a year and if you still fancy multis get it done once you have settled into it.

No disrespect but I don't really know why we have a new  thread answering pretty much exactly as the previous one on the same subject by the same member only last week. On that one I gave the same opinion as Ed has for which I was awarded Best Answer.

Latest posts

Back