Clay Shooting Classic - EJ Churchills

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guerini Guy

Just received a postal entry form for this event.

The entry fee of £89 seems a bit on the steep side for 150 targets, compared with say the Essex Masters at £75 for 200 targets ?

But not been before so can anyone out there enlighten me as to whether it is worth going, even for high price, before I commit myself especially as there are two of us shooting and are looking down the barrel of almost £180 plus cartridges, before I even start the car up ?

Thanks in advance.

I would say that if you are a fan of the major shoots then it is certainly worth it. Agreed, £89 is not cheap.

I have done it the last two years and found the organisation to be very good in all respects. Last year they altered it so that one layout was at the shooting ground and only one was a tractor ride onto the estate. If the weather is poor, at least the layout on the shooting ground will be very clean to use. So a nice mix and makes it fairly easy. Catering all worked well etc.

Two years ago, much of it was a bit easy. Last year, a new course setter and it was too hard for most (although not a worry in some respects as it is not registered). This year a new well-known name is due to be setting it so the hope is that they pitch it perfectly.

Looking forward to it personally.

Good prizemoney and Bens setting the targets this year so should be worth shooting. Ive felt the last two have been real let downs on target quality, although organisation is great as ever with the Classic. It really needs to revert to a greenfield site in my mind as it just isnt the same being at an established venue.

Id say give it a go this year, but hopefully it will be off to pastures new next time which should be a bit closer to what the classic used to be.

Good prizemoney and Bens setting the targets this year so should be worth shooting. Ive felt the last two have been real let downs on target quality, although organisation is great as ever with the Classic. It really needs to revert to a greenfield site in my mind as it just isnt the same being at an established venue.

Id say give it a go this year, but hopefully it will be off to pastures new next time which should be a bit closer to what the classic used to be.
What day are you there Ed? Sat I presume? Friday for me. Ahh. how we love the weather lottery..

Friday mate as booked out sat coaching. 11am I think, shooting with Aspire off here, try and keep an eye on him!

I'd love to shoot this, I'd pay the £89 to shoot 150 good targets with good prizes, wouldn't want to pay that every week, but as a once a year it would be fine!!! Just too far to travel!#%*#%!

30 stands for 150 targets...shouldn't be able to grumble about lack of variety in the targets.

I shot this for the first time last year in freezing rain, forgot my cap so couldn't see a bloody thing half the time; by the time I finished I was thoroughly miserable with an equally miserable score. But...there was something about the format that, when I looked back at my first year of shooting, I really enjoyed. When asked which event I was most looking forward to this year (outside of San Antonio) this was it. The greatest strength of the sporting disciplines is variety and the structure of the Classic should really accentuate that!

Let's hope my expectations aren't too lofty!

My first time at the classic was at stoke farm in Salisbury and what a shoot this was if I remember set by Paul Bennet and will thatcher , they had high rolling valleys and then had a big scaffold platform on top of that , they had water and apples together with a pack of Kleenex , this really wasn't for average hunters or the faint hearted , proper ah the good old days !!!!!!!

There have been some fantastic classics! Not for a while though :-( fingers crossed for this one though, should be an improvement.

I have been pondering this one!

Still not sure, running out of time too!
You ought to do it Jason, before you end up with a high classification.

I'd say you have a good chance at getting in the money at the moment. B)

It's a tough shoot, but the targets are fair.

I have been pondering this one!

Still not sure, running out of time too!

You ought to do it Jason, before you end up with a high classification.

I'd say you have a good chance at getting in the money at the moment. B)

It's a tough shoot, but the targets are fair.
Is the classic run the same way as the handicap shoot they do?

I was at the ground last night. Ben working late (not helped by needing a jump start to go home).

They still have places. Only a few on Saturday, more on Thursday and Friday. Weather is promising as we head toward it, hope it holds!

Apparently 12 stands on the blue course (at the shooting ground). I think 14? was a bit much over 75 birds last year..

Last edited by a moderator:
After and interesting evening round last night with CleverSC3 (Vika straighting her first stand!  :goodjob:  ) Thanks for your guidance! :bow:

We have decided to experience the Classic so have just signed up for Saturday morning (early start 09:00).

Lets hope the weather is favourable...  :hot:

Well, it's official we have had confirmation that we are booked in for Saturday morning 09:00 in squad 121. ANyone else from ShotClay shooting at that time? I notice Jason is at the same time, what squad are you on?

Like Jason this is our first ever event of this size, I guess a bit overwhelming at our level but we are really looking forward to it. :fie:

If any one spots us two lost souls please say hi  :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back